Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Western Canada
Place for machines in Calgary
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Canada West > Place for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jabraham

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Drip: Melitta pour over
Posted Sat Oct 5, 2013, 6:40pm
Subject: Place for machines in Calgary

I wouldn't mind buying an espresso machine in person in Calgary, but most stores only sell the cheaper machines.

Here's what I've found for retailers of better machines:

Cappuccino King on Edmonton Trail (everyone seems to like them, but they have a pretty limited selection of machines last I checked)
Kilian in Kensington, just a few hand chosen machines last I looked
Orange Works Kitchen in North Hill mall (never been there, just found it on the Internet, might go tomorrow)
National Cappuccino never been there, there web page seems dated, looks more B2B than retail
Mr Cappuccino is B2B but might still have some retail. I've heard a few stories in person and online suggesting they should be avoided, but they are old stories so maybe not relevant anymore.

For online machine sales from Canada I've got idrinkcoffee.com, creativecoffee.ca, and espressoplanet.com, are there any other important ones?
 View Profile Link to this post
jabraham

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Drip: Melitta pour over
Posted Sat Oct 5, 2013, 10:56pm
Subject: Re: Place for machines in Calgary

And Fratello
ddubick

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Appia 1Gr
Grinder: OE Pharos, Macap M5, Nuova...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Oct 7, 2013, 5:26pm

I've ordered many items from espressotec.com as well.
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Thu Nov 7, 2013, 3:25am

jabraham Said:

I wouldn't mind buying an espresso machine in person in Calgary,

Posted October 5, 2013 link

If Edmonton is an option, Caffetech has an excellent selection. They sell everything that Chris's coffee sells.

Cappuccino King sells a decent selection of Italian machines. Mainly Izzo, Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, Jura and Elektra. It's a very well laid out boutique espresso equipment shop.
I go there for all of my accessories. If there is something you can think of that goes with an espresso machine, they'll have it.

Never went to Kilian, but I'll have to check it out.

Phil and Sebastians has a very limited selection of espresso machines.. Mainly just the Rancilio Silvia, although I'm sure that they could get something else in.
I'd go there more for the accessories. I think I recall they did sell some Baratza grinders as well as some unrelated Bonavita drip stuff.

The only machines I've seen Fratello sell is the Breville Double Boiler. I buy my coffee from them because they know how to roast. :-)

Orangeworks has a decent selection of machines.. Rancilio, Expobar and the Breville DB. They have a good selection of Baratza and Compak grinders, nobody else in Calgary sells those.
They also have an excellent accessories selection. Keep in mind, since they are the first espresso equipment supplier in Alberta to be located in a mall, you can't expect a huge showroom! :)
They also sell massive amounts of kitchen equipment and accessories along with coffee stuff. Kudos to the owner for trying something new. I hope they stay around for a long time.

National Cappuccino is where you go if you want to buy Wega or La Marzocco machines. The owner there is a big LM fanatic and loves those machines. I've never really been there myself,
but I would like to check the place out sometime. I'd walk in there with the expectation that it's primarily meant for commercial businesses only and not for prosumers.

Mr. Cappuccino has a very limited selection of machines for the prosumer. They sell Magister and Rancilio. They also sell some Mazzer stuff there as well. I saw an Ascaso machine there on
display but they didn't have any for sale when I went there. Strangely enough, they also sell other food service equipment, like mixers, paninni presses, etc.

---

So, coming back to it all... (Bit of a rant here.)

I think in some ways, espresso machines suffer from vacuum cleaner syndrome. IE. You pay outrageous amounts of cash for very basic technology, mainly because the demand isn't there.
(I still can't figure out how someone who sells a machine with a motor, a fan, a bag, a case and a hose can charge $3000 for it.)

All I can say is that if you are planning on buying from a Calgary vendor, make sure you can price match against vendors outside of Calgary. Also, be sure that you compare features closely
and don't buy the first shiny thing you see. :-)

At the risk of getting sued for libel, I won't say anything negative about the Calgarian vendors above, but what I will say is that my own espresso equipment purchasing experiences have
been somewhat frustrating and difficult, especially when I had to walk out the door empty handed because they simply couldn't compete. Maybe that's changed in the last two years.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Canada West > Place for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.196459054947)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+