Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Western Canada
Calgary - Looking to buy some good espresso beans
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Canada West > Calgary -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
suereinberg3

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun May 20, 2012, 7:00am
Subject: Calgary - Looking to buy some good espresso beans

Hi,

I live in Calgary and am wondering what are some good espresso bean options and where to buy?  Right now I use Kicking Horse Coffee which I like but just wanted to see what else is out there.  I have a Breville Cafe Roma Espresso Machine, bought it from Kijiji a few months ago.  It works great and I love the coffee.

sue
 View Profile Link to this post
chickenwings

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Jun 3, 2012, 7:39pm
Subject: Re: Calgary - Looking to buy some good espresso beans

Hey Sue, have you tried looking at some of the custom roaster options?
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sun Jun 3, 2012, 7:48pm

How about Fratello Coffee Roasters - they do a very god job sourcing and roasting quality beans.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Sun Jun 3, 2012, 9:49pm

Phil and Sebastian Coffee Roasters. Awesome coffee.... just simply Awesome and at two locations in Calgary:

Click Here
chickenwings

Posted Mon Jun 4, 2012, 6:01pm

Yep, good suggestion.  There's others too, a quick google will fill you in, like Phil and Sebastians (never been there but it looks cool).  There are some excellent mail order options as well...a coffee of the month subscriptions' got me hooked on getting great coffee to the point where I'm starting to roast my own!
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Wed Aug 1, 2012, 11:30pm

suereinberg3 Said:

Hi, I live in Calgary and am wondering what are some good espresso bean options and where to buy?

Posted May 20, 2012 link

I realize I'm a little late to this thread, but I highly recommend the Roastarie. The Roastarie

I used to hang around there all the time in the 1990's, they'll roast anything (Within reason!) to any degree you want and bag it up for you.
Nothing is quite like sitting in there, sipping on a capuccino while enjoying the wonderful smells of the coffee being roasted.

I have personally yet to buy their espresso blend so I don't have an opinion on that, but I used to occasionally buy
beans from there for making normal drip coffee. Little did I know at the time that asking for them to grind the beans for me
wasn't exactly the smartest thing to do. I didn't have a grinder at home, so I can be forgiven. :-)

suereinberg3 Said:

I have a Breville Cafe Roma Espresso Machine, bought it from Kijiji a few months ago.

Posted May 20, 2012 link

That's a good starter machine, but if I were you, I'd look at upgrading it. This isn't the right thread to talk about it.
My e-mail address is qualin at shaw dot ca ... If you want to discuss that further, fire me off an e-mail.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
edmonton66

Posted Sun Aug 26, 2012, 9:58am

Edmonton Roaster - free shipping.  They operate three of the top cafe's in town too. http://www.transcendcoffee.com/
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sun Aug 26, 2012, 8:31pm

suereinberg3 Said:

what are some good espresso bean options and where to buy?

Posted May 20, 2012 link

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I should add in some more of my thoughts.

I've had Phils Blend from Cappuccino King and it's a really good blend.

Right now, I'm working through a Kilogram of Medium Roast Espresso Blend from Mr. Cappucino. I'm getting some
absolutely awesome crema in my shots with this coffee. The only thing, it requires a much finer grind than Phils Blend,
but that's probably due to the type of coffee it is.

The lady at Mr. Cappuccino (Forgot her name) wouldn't tell me the blend she uses for her Medium Roast, but she usually
lets it sit on the shelf for a week after she roasts it before it's ready for sale.

I've noticed that the beans don't have a lot of oil, if any on them at all, they're very "matte" and they freeze quite well.

I'm finding that at two doubles a day, a Kilogram of coffee is going to last me about a month.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
EightOunceCoffee2

Expertise: Professional

Posted Fri Aug 31, 2012, 1:14pm

The three best in Alberta, if you are looking for medium-light artisan roast, single-origin, direct trade are Phil & Sebastian, Fratello, and Transcend.  Fratello can be purchased from Analog in the Calgary Farmers' Market, P&S have a location in Chinook, and one in Marda Loop, and Transcend has three cafes in Edmonton.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
John_Manzo
John_Manzo

Espresso: Elektra Microcasa a Leva,...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: none
Drip: presspot
Roaster: nada (yet)
Posted Sun Sep 9, 2012, 8:05pm

Please, please avoid The Roasterie. It's burnt, kept in open barrels, and not roast dated. Horrible choice.

In Calgary you have two excellent local choices, Phil & Sebastian and Fratello. You cannot go wrong with either. I have Fratello's Godfather in my grinder right now and it's superb. Phil & Sebastian are among the absolute gold standard roasters in Canada that I've now seen used to artisanal cafes in Vancouver, Montreal and St John's. I say again, you cannot go wrong with either of these, they're both elite Canadian roasters on par with roasters like 49th Parallel, Origins or Detour.

There are a few very good smaller roasters in Calgary and area too; the ones I'm most familiar with are Mountain View in Didsbury, Roast at the Kingsland Farmers' Market, and Sierra las Minhas which imports directly from farms in Guatemala. All of these roast-date their coffees- if this isn't done as with the beans from, say, your Kicking Horse or the beans you see on the shelf at Starbucks or Higher Ground, DO NOT BUY.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Canada West > Calgary -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.258198022842)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+