Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Eastern Canada
Montreal Area IGA and Metro espresso grinding? HELP!
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Canada East > Montreal Area...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
samgabqc

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Oct 15, 2013, 8:09pm
Subject: Montreal Area IGA and Metro espresso grinding? HELP!

Hi all!

New guys here looking for help! I just bought an espresso/cappucino Breville machine and looking for the right grind for everyday use from my local IGA or Metro in Montreal area. They seem to have "ok" beans but their coffee grinders have 2 settings for espresso..fine and finer.. anyone can help?

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
canuckcoffeeguy
canuckcoffeeguy
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Magica, Mypressi...
Grinder: K10PB, Vario, Hario Slim
Vac Pot: I have a Dyson vacuum, but,...
Drip: Aeropress, Bialetti Brikka,...
Posted Wed Oct 16, 2013, 5:36am
Subject: Re: Montreal Area IGA and Metro espresso grinding? HELP!

Hi there,

The best advice you will get from the Coffeegeek community is to avoid grocery store beans and invest in a good home grinder.

Grocery store beans are stale, since they're typically months old, if not worse. Preground is even more stale since it degrades more rapidly than whole beans.

You want fresh beans. That means, according to most people on this site, beans that are no more than 2 to 3 weeks old from roasting date. Your best bet, since you're in Montreal is to find a good local roaster. I'm in the Toronto area so I'm not familiar with Montreal roasteries. But others on this site might know some. You can also mail order beans from some good roasteries in Canada who ship fresh beans quickly.

As for a grinder, it is more important than your espresso machine. The grocery store grinder will not suffice. You need a grinder that will allow for very small and fine adjustments to your espresso grind. As many on this site will tell you, you'll get much better espresso with a good grinder and cheaper espresso machine, than a really expensive espresso machine paired with a crappy grinder.

Bottom line, you need fresh beans, freshly ground with a good grinder right before brewing, to make good espresso.

Here's the grinder guide on Coffeegeek :

click here CG grinder guide
samgabqc

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Oct 16, 2013, 6:13am

Hi !

Thanks for the answer! I will look into it and I definitly need a grinder but my question was really in the time being...just paid around 400$ for my machine and I haven't prepare another few hundred for a grinder. I will look around where I live for a good roaster that knows the "Breville grind" for a reasonable price!

Thanks again :)
psavoie

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Ascaso Steel Uno Pro PID
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Oct 16, 2013, 6:39am

Before I bought my grinder, did the same as you did.
Here a list of local roasters and cafe you may try depending of which area of Montreal you are, they will grind for you.

Cafe Rico - on Mont-Royal
http://www.caferico.qc.ca/fr/accueil

Cafe Santropol - St-Urban and Duluth
http://www.bruleriesantropol.com/

Toi et moi cafe - 2 location

Terra Cafe
http://www.terracaf.ca/en/?___SID=U&___from_store=fr

Cafe Union

Those roasters does not have dates on their bag, so freshness may vary.

Cafe St-Henri
http://www.sainthenri.ca/
MrOliver
MrOliver
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Baratza Virutoso Preciso
Roaster: Metropolis/49th/Phil and...
Posted Fri Oct 18, 2013, 11:14am

Another interesting thing you can do, it order online. You have social coffee who have a great service. Usually, if I order before 16h, my coffee is shipped the same day, and delivered to my door the next day! And the coffee is roasted on the same day the order is placed!

Can't be really fresher than this. And they are affordable too.
gast

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Avanti Alba
Grinder: La Spaziale/
Posted Mon Dec 9, 2013, 4:54pm

I have just bought a 400 gr pack of espresso west coast roasted by La Societe de Torrefaction de Cafe in Blainville.
www.societedetorrefaction.ca.  Prices are good too. 8$ for the pack. Realy good coffee.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Canada East > Montreal Area...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.199220180511)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+