Regional: Eastern Canada
Cuisinart EM200 Replacement Filter
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Canada East > Cuisinart EM200...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
AJM

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Aug 7, 2012, 4:05pm
Subject: Cuisinart EM200 Replacement Filter

I just recently purchased the Cuisinart EM 200 model espresso maker. I am still waiting for it to be delivered later this week. This is my very first purchase of an espresso maker and I did not do all the research that I should have before purchasing. I came to discover that it has a pressurized filter. After doing some research, I discovered that the pressurized filter is not as good as a standard single wall filter. I have researched two options for this situation. First is to cut off the bottom of my current filter which I have heard people have done successfully. Second is to purchase a Breville filter which is supposed to fit the Cuisinart. I have been trying to find a Canadian source for the Breville filter, but so far I have been unsuccessful. If I cannot find a replacement for my pressurized filter, does anyone in this forum have a suggestion for the type of coffee that I should be using? I have read that a standard fine espresso grind will not work in such a filter and will probably plug it. I look forward to any and all advice that can be given to me.

Allan
 View Profile Link to this post
RichardCoffee

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: gaggia baby twin, mini...
Grinder: fiorenzato pietro 63mm,...
Roaster: weber grill with rk drum,...
Posted Tue Aug 7, 2012, 4:50pm
Subject: Re: Cuisinart EM200 Replacement Filter

It's easy to be fooled.  I bought one of these 2 years ago and then, like you discovered it wasn't exactly the fine espresso machine I thought it to be.  I bought a Cuisinart grinder to go with it.  They were sitting side by side at BB&B so I figured they must work well together.  I didn't like the results so I took them both back and went on to Gaggia at WLL.  The truth is, it probably made okay coffee.  But, the more I read here and on other sites the more dissatisfied I became.  My advice: take it back if you can.  If you can't take it back, do what Abe Lincoln suggested: when you make a bad deal, hug it all the tighter.  I mean, I used a steam toy for a long time and was perfectly happy with it using that canned Mexican coffee.  I'm afraid that wouldn't do anymore.

Bean2friends
AJM

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2012, 2:00am
Subject: Re: Cuisinart EM200 Replacement Filter

RichardCoffee,
Yes, I was a real novice when I looked into purchasing an espresso machine, and the only thing I did was learn the difference between the cheaper models that use steam to extract, and the more expensive models that use hot water and pressure. I chose the latter, and was quite proud of myself. Then I found out that many people in the "know" seemed to believe that pressurized filters were a "cheat" that did not give the best results. By this time it was too late for me to return the Cuisinart without loosing a good chunk of money, so I am hugging it very tightly. After going to quite a few forums it seems people are split on the EM200. Many people said it was a piece of junk that made good coffee when it worked, but was unreliable. Others have said that with some time to get used to the machine, they get consistent results and very good shots. So I am going to give it a try and see how it goes. Since this is my first time doing  this at home, as long as the machine does not break down on me, I am sure I can achieve very acceptable results and learn a great deal at the same time.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Canada East > Cuisinart EM200...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.167455196381)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+