Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Eastern Canada
Coffee in Hamilton, ON?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Canada East > Coffee in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
bigfatcat

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Jul 3, 2012, 9:11pm
Subject: Re: Coffee in Hamilton, ON?

zane9 Said:

On the weekend I popped into a place on James, south of Augusta, which has lots of roasted beans but none from local roasters (I asked).  I chatted to the owner,  who says the business has been there for 40 years! Can't remember the name of the place.

Posted July 3, 2012 link

House of Java. Definitely a staple of the neighbourhood.

RedCrowCoffee Said:

Where you got the idea of old beans is something I'd like to know!

Posted July 3, 2012 link

Sorry, wasn't at all talking about the coffee being served. Just the bags of Punch Buggy the few times I was there. I've had many delicious paninis from you guys as I used to live around the corner, and I'm sure I'll be back.
 View Profile Link to this post
zane9

Posted Wed Jul 4, 2012, 6:22am

As the OP I don't want to derail my own thread, but I want to inject a bit of fun here.

So Hamiltonian coffee people, here's a link to a celebration of the coffee community and how coffee just might stimulate creativity.

Perhaps the vendors and retailers here will be inspired to step up their game!

click here!
GlennM

Posted Thu Jul 5, 2012, 9:06am

"There is a new cafe at Ottawa and Cannon. They were just getting up and running when I visited but the vibe was good and there was promise...I liked it."

I think the new place you are talking about is called Cannon Coffee Co.  I've never been but it looks interesting based on their website.  

Has anybody been there and what is the coffee like if you order it there?  Food?
altiplano

Posted Fri Jul 6, 2012, 6:38pm

RedCrowCoffee Said:

Where you got the idea of old beans is something I'd like to know!

Posted July 3, 2012 link

I read the roast date on the bag. You only had a handful of bags there so maybe some old stock was all that was left? One plus was it was a 1lbs bag, everyone seems to sell 3/4 lbs bags these days... I passed on buying beans because of the old roast date and my espresso based drink wasn't good, maybe you had a bad day... better luck next time.
lost

Grinder: Baratza Maestro,Mazzer Super...
Vac Pot: Elec. Sunbeam, Cory,...
Drip: Newco, Clever Dripper,...
Roaster: Hearthware Precision
Posted Mon Jul 9, 2012, 2:16pm

My experience.

House of Java........too price conscious w.r.t. the brewed product.

I would expect the coffee shops in the south part of James to be less busy on weekends due to the lack of hospital traffic
RedCrowCoffee
RedCrowCoffee
Expertise: Professional

Posted Mon Jul 9, 2012, 7:08pm

Well we figured out what happened... we only purchase one or two (lb) bags of decaf espresso a week and use that in house, it appears that one of the empty bags was reused a couple of weeks later when we ran out of new bags... the coffee itself was not "old". Our inventory comes in weekly and we rotate out any that is bagged by us the week after it comes in if its bagged and unsold...

Sorry to have caused this confusion, but we don't sell or serve "old" coffee.

Red Crow Coffee
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
bigfatcat

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012, 5:21pm

RedCrowCoffee Said:

we rotate out any that is bagged by us the week after it comes in if its bagged and unsold...

Posted July 9, 2012 link

My girlfriend brought home a bag of punch buggy from you a month or two ago (she forgot to look at the date). The bag said it was 3.5-4 weeks old, and I confirmed that when I pulled a shot. She said it was the only bag on the shelf. I'll take your word that it's not the norm, and be in soon to try some more beans.
altiplano

Posted Sun Jul 29, 2012, 7:46pm

@RedCrow. Do you guys grind all of your coffee for the day at start of shift? When I was in it was being scooped out of a can into the portafilter. What's the reason behind that? Or was it another 'one of'....
DetourCoffee

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: 2 Group Linea, 2 GS3, 2...
Roaster: 35kg Loring
Posted Wed Aug 1, 2012, 4:21am

FYI we are no longer supplying to Red Crow Coffee. Other retailers carrying our products can be found via the FIND page on our website.
Thanks
Detour Coffee Roasters
RedCrowCoffee
RedCrowCoffee
Expertise: Professional

Posted Wed Aug 1, 2012, 5:39pm

Couple of points...

Stale date on a bag... as mentioned, we occassionally reused a bag - our orders came in weekly, and usually only enough to last the week.

As to "scoop out of a can", nope... we don't and never have used a "can". We do use a small tupperware container, one that only fits about 3 pots worth of ground beans... we only grind enough to fill that so we are grinding throughout the day... as to a "Scoop"... in the 6 months we've been open, we have NEVER used a scoop... whenever brewing we have poured the grind into a filter and weighed prior to brewing.  

You couldn't be thinking of the Red Buckets Detour delivers it's bulk coffee in, could you? If so, yes, we used to scoop from there into the grinder... but then only enough for about 3 pots as the tupperware container couldn't hold more than about the 3 pots worth, but the "scoop" has always been a paper coffee cup... those buckets aren't bad as they have a rubber gasket in the lid to help keep air out and it was always the whole beans in the buckets, never ground coffee...

As to availability of Detour, absolutely we have switched roaster... we now serve Speakeasy, and our customers are quite happy with the product - espresso, Blue Monday and 4 Bean Dark... so if you're looking for Detour beans, yes... there are other places.  The Punch Buggy espressp is still a nice roast and blend.
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Canada East > Coffee in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.277427911758)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+