Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Eastern Canada
Classes in the Maritimes
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Canada East > Classes in the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
TheProfessor

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Just sold (maybe looking...
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Hario V60
Roaster: Popcorn Pumper
Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 5:16am
Subject: Classes in the Maritimes

I recently purchased my first legit machine - a Junior HX. I have looked all over for classes in the NB/NS/PEI and have found nothing closer than Montreal or Boston. So, I am wondering two things: if anyone knows of classes in this area that I have not come across, or if someone in the Fredericton area would like to spend a couple hours with me working on the machine, in exchange for homemade croissants or pie and all the coffee you want! Youtube and online tutorials are great, but nothing beats hands-on experience with an instructor. Cheers!
 View Profile Link to this post
psavoie

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Ascaso Steel Uno Pro PID
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 7:24am
Subject: Re: Classes in the Maritimes

You can try Brulerie du Quai, they are in Campbelton, Caraquet, Carleton sur mer...

http://www.brulerieduquai.com/index.php
T_Rick
T_Rick

Espresso: Rocket Giotto
Grinder: Compak K10, Rocky DL, Zass
Drip: press pot; Chemex
Roaster: Poppery II; iRoast 2
Posted Fri Jun 22, 2012, 11:44am

TheProfessor Said:

if anyone knows of classes in this area that I have not come across

Posted June 15, 2012 link

I know that DownEast Coffee in Moncton used to offer a one day class on all things coffee brewing and espresso. it involved going through the different types of drinks, then some of the more popular brewing methods.

As far as I know, they offered it only when they had time and enough interest from folks; it wasn't a regular, every week kind of thing. For all I know they're still doing it. Wouldn't hurt for you to contact them and express an interest.

Regardless, if you're going to get into coffee in the Maritimes, Terry Montague is a guy you want to know.

T-Rick

BOOKMAN: "You buy a jar of Folger's Crystals, you put it in the cupboard, you forget about it. Then later on when you need it, it's there. It lasts forever. It's freeze-dried. Freeze-dried Crystals."
diggi
diggi

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Fri Jun 22, 2012, 2:00pm

Don't know if there is anything formal set up, but possibly you could work out something with Jim at Java Blend; North Street in Halifax if you were down for a day or two.  Less likely but equally excellent would be something with Zane at Two if By Sea in Halifax or Dartmouth.
TheProfessor

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Just sold (maybe looking...
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Hario V60
Roaster: Popcorn Pumper
Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012, 7:14am

Thanks for all the input.

I "know" the guys at DownEast but great suggestion (although I don't love their coffee).

Halifax is probably the best bet, I guess, but you're right that Zane is probably a less likely candidate. My understand is that TIBS is pretty private about how they do espresso, which is fair, and also Zane just got a little bit busier as of today:

https://www.bdcyoungentrepreneuraward.ca/index.php

Congrats to Zane and crew!
T_Rick
T_Rick

Espresso: Rocket Giotto
Grinder: Compak K10, Rocky DL, Zass
Drip: press pot; Chemex
Roaster: Poppery II; iRoast 2
Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012, 9:38am

TheProfessor Said:

although I don't love their coffee

Posted June 25, 2012 link

Yeah, you're not the first I hear say that.  They don't push the envelope in terms of coffee offerings.  Their Lescarbot espresso is very good, mind you.  So far, I've always had to special request it; they don't usually stock it at Café Codiac or the market.  It is by far their best espresso.

Being in Moncton, I am envious of Halifax's progressive coffee culture.  I also love the idea of beans roasted in Atlantic Canada to rival 49th Parallel and other such "progressive" roasters outside of the region.

T-Rick

BOOKMAN: "You buy a jar of Folger's Crystals, you put it in the cupboard, you forget about it. Then later on when you need it, it's there. It lasts forever. It's freeze-dried. Freeze-dried Crystals."
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Canada East > Classes in the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.323318958282)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+