Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Eastern Canada
Cofeegeek in Sherbrooke ?
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Canada East > Cofeegeek in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 7 last page next page
Author Messages
charlano

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Posted Sat Jan 8, 2011, 4:39pm
Subject: Cofeegeek in Sherbrooke ?

Is there any coffeegeek folks in Sherbrooke, Qc ?
 View Profile Link to this post
tasseloff

Posted Mon Jan 10, 2011, 7:37am
Subject: Re: Cofeegeek in Sherbrooke ?

Well, I love coffee and im studying in Sherbrooke right now ;)
PatrickRitchie

Espresso: Salvatore One Black
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Sun Jan 30, 2011, 11:32am

Same here! that makes 3 :)

Where do you guys buy your coffee?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
charlano

Posted Fri Feb 4, 2011, 10:00am

It depends. These times I go to Caffucino, but lately their coffees seem to be a bit sour... and last time I got staled beans... There is La Brűlerie de Café de Sherbrooke that has a lot of variety and that roast on site. You can also get green beans from them if you want to roast your coffee beans. It is located on Wellington St. There is Hubert St-Jean also that produces great coffee and that roasts on site.

Let me know which place seems to be the best for you.
PatrickRitchie

Espresso: Salvatore One Black
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Thu Feb 10, 2011, 12:56pm

I've tried all of those, was never that impressed w/ Caffucino.

Was a long time Hubert St-Jean buyer, until I bought my first espresso machine and asked if they carried tampers... I got a confused look and when I explained what tamping was he recommended against it because it would harm the pump!

La Brulerie de Cafe de Sherbrooke can be quite good, but it's rare that the person serving you knows the roast date on the coffee. So it's a little hit and miss.

I have yet to find a really great shot of espresso in a Sherbrooke cafe.

Lately I've been ordering online from http://www.socialcoffeecompany.com/ -- really good coffee that's almost always shipped on the day it was roasted, bags with one way valves.

I've also ordered from Birds and Beans http://www.birdsandbeans.ca/index.html which is also quite good.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tasseloff

Posted Fri Feb 11, 2011, 8:51am

Late reply, but yeah I buy my coffee here in Sherbrooke, freshly roasted just out of the factory!

La Brulerie de Café de Sherbrooke in town is actually just their retail store, but you can buy it directly at their depot where they roast it, and its usually no more than a few days fresh:
Click Here (maps.google.ca)

Not the BEST blends, but still quite alright, and very cheap as well (7$ for 1lbs).

Else than that i've tried buying some 49th parallel coffee when in Montreal at Cafe Myriad. Quite good(especially in a cappuccino) and very different, but expensive and not always fresh.
charlano

Posted Fri Feb 11, 2011, 3:07pm

tasseloff Said:

...but you can buy it directly at their depot where they roast it, and its usually no more than a few days fresh:
Click Here (maps.google.ca)

Not the BEST blends, but still quite alright, and very cheap as well (7$ for 1lbs).

Posted February 11, 2011 link

Oh man that is good to know !!!  plus 7$ is about half the price they sell it at their store downtown !!!  Can we get a lot of varieties or just those that have been roasted very lately ? As for the roasted date I would assume it would be a sure bet to go directly at this place instead of downtown !!!

@ Pat: Social coffee seems to be very nice as well. My understanding is that it is free shipping for 2 pounds and over. If so, very interesting !!!
tasseloff

Posted Fri Feb 18, 2011, 12:13pm

charlano Said:

Oh man that is good to know !!!  plus 7$ is about half the price they sell it at their store downtown !!!  Can we get a lot of varieties or just those that have been roasted very lately ? As for the roasted date I would assume it would be a sure bet to go directly at this place instead of downtown !!!

@ Pat: Social coffee seems to be very nice as well. My understanding is that it is free shipping for 2 pounds and over. If so, very interesting !!!

Posted February 11, 2011 link

You can get a few different blends, some are actually more expensive than others. I usually get their standard "Mélange espresso normal", which is not too bad. They have what they call the "Mélange Italien" which is a bit stronger in taste but I personally didn't favor it over the other blend.  At some point I bought like 4 x 1/2 pounds of different blends, but can't remember which one I had tried and which one I loved best. For now I pretty much stick with the normal blend which is cheap and OK, and usually fresher as well. At some point I even had to wait 2 days before using the coffee since it was still warm and just done roasting.

Cheers!
Endo
Endo

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Fri Feb 18, 2011, 4:55pm

You can try Chocolaterie Raphael in Magog on Rue Principale.

Click Here (www.facebook.com)

They have a 2 group lever machine and a newly installed Toper roaster. They seem to be still learning the art of roasting, but it's fresh and some times pretty tasty.
charlano

Posted Sat Feb 19, 2011, 12:19pm

@ Endo, I have tried their coffee a few weeks ago. The owner was at Metro Plouffe @ Magog. He brought a Rocket Giotto or something like that with E61, but didn't bring a grinder. It was good but it was  not as fresh as it could have been, since it was pre-ground coffee. I asked him if we can buy green coffee from and he said yes !!

@ tasseloff: I'll try it soon. Have your tried their "espresso Faro" blend ?
showing page 1 of 7 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Canada East > Cofeegeek in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.248829841614)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+