Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Eastern Canada
Glutton for Punishment airs on Food Network tonight
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Canada East > Glutton for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
buzzmccowan
buzzmccowan
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: LM FB80 / LM GS3
Grinder: Anfim Super etc etc
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Loring Kestrel 35kg
Posted Wed May 2, 2007, 7:19pm
Subject: Glutton for Punishment airs on Food Network tonight

Food Network is airing Bob Blumer's show, Glutton For Punishment tonight and again over the next few days.  Bob Blumer, completely inexperienced as a barista, gets trained by Sammy Piccolo and enters the Canadian Barista Championships.  Here are the next air dates (it is airing as I write):
Thursday, May 3
1:00 AM EST
Barista Championship  (CC)

Saturday, May 5
8:30 PM EST

Sunday, May 6
2:30 PM EST

Cheers,
Kaelin
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Noonievut

Grinder: Rocky DL
Vac Pot: Other - Aeropress, Clever,...
Posted Mon May 7, 2007, 5:13am
Subject: Re: Glutton for Punishment airs on Food Network tonight

Thanks for this post Kaelin!

Did you like the show?

I thought it was great.  His drink at the end looked yummy.

I'm trying to get my wife to watch it (I recorded it) so she better understands my espresso tendancies...
 View Profile Link to this post
buzzmccowan
buzzmccowan

Espresso: LM FB80 / LM GS3
Grinder: Anfim Super etc etc
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Loring Kestrel 35kg
Posted Mon May 7, 2007, 6:37pm

Hey Jason,
The show was pretty good.  I think it's hilarious that he came in third.  I wouldn't be surprised if they kinda played up in the edit that he didn't do too much training in order to build up the drama a bit (my wife is the creator and associate producer of a food network show to be aired in the fall and I too work in film/tv so I kinda know how these things go).  Even still, the technical routines and judging in barista competitions is pretty hardcore and  would be hard for a beginner to master.  I think he must have had amazing sensory scores, his signature drink did look amazing, and being trained by Sammy Piccolo doesn't hurt.
...on another note, I've been reading your posts and I know what it is like to get the espresso bug, and what it is like to initiate your partner into understanding.  I just keep making nice lattes for my wife with rosettas on top and it seems to make up for all the time and energy I put into my hobby (I'm roasting some Nicaraguan on my Hottop as I write this!)  Keep it up.
Cheers,
Kaelin
coffeebebop

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: gs2, gaggia achilles/classic
Grinder: Major, ZASSENHAUS!!
Vac Pot: HCA-3/5
Drip: Press pot, chemex, kona,
Roaster: fire
Posted Tue May 22, 2007, 4:29pm

I liked the show, but i really dont understand how he came in third. His milk texture didn't look very good (but that could just be tv) and his pours, well i thought i took more than that to compete. His espresso must have tasted pretty darn awsome. I seem to remember him having the ditting KE640, which has a timer built in for dosing. Did he set all his equipment up or did Sammy? His espresso from Artigiano must have been pretty special. I have to say that his presentation was nice on the sig. drink, and the spicy cinnamon chocolate spoon was cool!  Being a t.v. personality probobly helped, he seemed to be very good at entertaining the judges. So who is next, Alton Brown?
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Tue May 22, 2007, 11:03pm

Bob is someone who "gets" food, so in a way, his high placing is somewhat okay with me - he seems to get it inside and out, and this can help someone go a long way in achieving culinary status in just about any food science.

But, I wonder if there was a bit of star struckness involved. I only speculate on this. I know from personal experience that at least three of the seven judges would not be affected by this one way or another - I really do trust their judgement in this regard. But I don't know the other judges enough to know if it would affect them or not.

One thing though that I found distasteful - Blummer going up, as a competitor and tasting Barrett's sig drink right on the floor, then doing his "whisper" to the camera (which all of us around could hear) about how it sucked. That just wasn't cool. But I liked pretty much everything else about the show.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
Noonievut

Posted Wed May 23, 2007, 12:25pm

MarkPrince Said:

One thing though that I found distasteful - Blummer going up, as a competitor and tasting Barrett's sig drink right on the floor, then doing his "whisper" to the camera (which all of us around could hear) about how it sucked. That just wasn't cool. But I liked pretty much everything else about the show.

Mark

Posted May 22, 2007 link

I think some of this is made for tv (and I agree with the 'bad taste' of that segment).

Sammy spitting out the drink also seemed made for tv.  I mean the beans/shot came from the machine and I don't think Bob could've botched it at that point, but although his art wasn't very good, I don't think it's a sink/garbage shot (he would spit mine out the window if that's the case!).
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Wed May 23, 2007, 1:03pm

Noonievut Said:

I think some of this is made for tv (and I agree with the 'bad taste' of that segment).

Sammy spitting out the drink also seemed made for tv.  I mean the beans/shot came from the machine and I don't think Bob could've botched it at that point, but although his art wasn't very good, I don't think it's a sink/garbage shot (he would spit mine out the window if that's the case!).

Posted May 23, 2007 link

Hello.  Since this is the Food Network that we are talking about here, and since it is not live, I can guarantee that his escapade was made for TV, bad taste and all.  If they (being the Food Network) didn't think they would get a rise out of their TV audience it would have been edited out prior to the show.

Personally I think the Iron Chef series are the best on the food network regarding professionalism and specificity.  All else done on the Network is just playing to their very big general audience who could care less about specifics.  Entertainment brings home the Food Network bacon, my friends.  Not a boring seminar.

Len
CoffeeRoastersClub.com

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
Noonievut

Posted Mon May 28, 2007, 5:29am
Subject: Food TV

I have Rogers and noticed yesterday that there is a food tv on demand station (somewhere between channel 50-100).  I looked around and noticed that under 'new this week' there was a show about making a BBQ roaster.  I haven't watched it yet.  I think it's based on some guys who make food applicances with whatever parts they can find (I thought I read the handle was made from an old badminton raquet...lol)...
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Mon May 28, 2007, 9:16am
Subject: Re: Food TV

Hey Jas, that's the Food channel #56 & the show is called Food Jammers. It's pretty cool what these guys come up with! {:-D

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Noonievut

Posted Mon May 28, 2007, 10:57am
Subject: Re: Food TV

CraigA Said:

Hey Jas, that's the Food channel #56 & the show is called Food Jammers. It's pretty cool what these guys come up with! {:-D

Posted May 28, 2007 link

Hi Craig - that's the channel for the scheduled shows, but there is now a Food TV 'on demand' channel (like the TMN on demand, if you have Rogers).  So if you missed this show on 56, you can watch it whenever on this station.

I'm going to check this out tonight.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Canada East > Glutton for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.276098012924)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+