Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Eastern Canada
Decent espresso in Ottawa?
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Canada East > Decent espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 8 last page next page
Author Messages
DaveS

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Roaster: I-Roast
Posted Fri Apr 1, 2005, 10:46am
Subject: Decent espresso in Ottawa?

I am going to be spending a fair amount of time in Ottawa in the next few months and will be away from Silvia and Rocky - I need to get my expresso fix still however.  So far I tried a little place that claimed to be so Italian then dropped this pod type thing into an automatic machine and spat out what has to be the worst tasting espresso I have ever had.

Any recommendations for the area around Bank and Queen Street?
 View Profile Link to this post
ddmacd
ddmacd
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rocky SS doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Roaster: Popcorn Pumper
Posted Wed Apr 6, 2005, 4:55am
Subject: Re: Decent espresso in Ottawa?

The only place that has had a positive review is the Ottawa Bagelshop & Deli.  That's a few klicks west on Wellington.  Clark know's what he's doing.  Check out other threads on the Eastern Canada forum about this shop.
DaveS

Posted Wed Apr 6, 2005, 10:04am

Well Ottawa Bagelshop and Deli is a fair way from where I am based so I decided to give The Roasted Cherry a shot since it is only a couple of blocks away.  Oh dear..  Some people indicated a while back that this was ok - must have been some changes since then.  The PBTC took my order for a latte with a double shot and proceeded to dose some coffee that was already ground (some time this week I think) into the PF.  She started levelling it off and I thought ooh some attention to detail here.. is she going to tamp?  No! In went the pressurized PF into the machine and click went the button.  Some steaming later and out comes the most insipid latte I have tasted in a long time (close to the previously mentioned espresso).  It's sat by my laptop as I type and I don't think I can finish it in fact.  The only hint of coffee is a chemically burnt taste that may once have had a remote connection to coffee.  An experience not to be repeated.  I am still a newbie but I  think Silvia at home has spoilt me - there was a time when I might have drunk this rubbish but not now.
ddmacd
ddmacd
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rocky SS doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Roaster: Popcorn Pumper
Posted Wed Apr 6, 2005, 10:13am

I am still a newbie but I  think Silvia at home has spoilt me - there was a time when I might have drunk this rubbish but not now.

I have the same set-up as you at home.  Even half asleep in the morning, I manage better drinks than you will find around Ottawa.
DaveS

Posted Thu Apr 7, 2005, 5:08am

It was on the corner of O'Connor and Slater.  It's a youth based co-op - previous comments were that it depended a lot on who was serving at the time but with a pressurized PF and a machine which appeared to automatically time the shot I am not so sure there was much reliance on the operator in the equation.

Btw - on a separate note I am still waiting to try the new Lettieri in the TD Centre food court  in TO - they have a nice shiny new La Marzocco machine.  Anyone been there yet?
Clark

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Synesso
Grinder: Robur-e/Anfim
Posted Mon Apr 11, 2005, 8:06am

The place off Richmond near MEC is called Francesco's Coffee Company.

proceeded to dose some coffee that was already ground (some time this week I think) into the PF.  She started levelling it off and I thought ooh some attention to detail here.. is she going to tamp?  No!

This is pretty much the way it's going to be anywhere you go in Ottawa.  At least she dosed it properly?
lula

Espresso: La Spaziale Professionale
Grinder: Conti monster grinder!
Posted Tue Apr 12, 2005, 6:42pm

Don't diss Ottawa - there are some great places to go for a good espresso. Skip your Starbucks and other pseudo-espresso bars and go where they make the real thing:
- Giovanni's Snack Bar on Booth St
- Cafe Mio on Richmond
- Francesco's on Winona off Richmond
coffeejn
coffeejn

Espresso: La Spaziale Vivaldi S1
Grinder: Mini Mazzer, Zassenhaus...
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: BUNN BTX-B
Roaster: SC/CO
Posted Tue Apr 19, 2005, 6:32pm

Try the Cafe Express in the 4 towers next to blair road (Address is 1440 Blair place I believe).  The guy has some very expensive setup and knows what he is doing, just not the freshest bean since there not roasted on site or locally but a lot better then what yuo get from most stores.  And yes there is crema in his espresso, so it's really better than any other stores I've been to in Ottawa, just wish he would get some greens and roast them himself some time to show him the difference.
RKEM

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Isomac Gran
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Nope
Roaster: Z&D
Posted Fri Apr 22, 2005, 2:35pm

Yep, I'm also stuck in the Queen Street towers ... wanting and unable to find a decent espresso. All the places I tried were utter cr****

So I resigned myself, bought a venus and then took my lil Angeli to work. Now I torture my coworkers with the smell :>

But I'd be happy to try any place you guys recommend.
Maayan
Maayan
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu May 12, 2005, 4:04pm

I can totally vouch for Clark's cappuccinos at the Bagelshop if you're looking for something special.

If you're downtown, I've seen shiny microfoam come out of Planet Coffee in the market.  Dip a molasses cookies into your drink, and... christ, it's enough to put a big smile on my face for the rest of the morning.  They've got beautiful chairs, beautiful employees, and oftentimes beautiful music.  What's not to like?

Otherwise, if you're willing to brave a chain coffeehouse, I'd check out Bridgehead.  They've got a relatively good dark roast and free wireless access.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 1 of 8 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Canada East > Decent espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.213847875595)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+