Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Eastern Canada
Decent espresso in Ottawa?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Canada East > Decent espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 6 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Cremini

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Sep 28, 2005, 1:23pm
Subject: Re: Decent espresso in Ottawa?

Jessica, I'd recommend giving Francesco's a try. Depending on the Barista you can get a really good shot there, and if your espresso is not up to par let Pietro know and I'm sure he'll help you out.
 View Profile Link to this post
allegria

Posted Wed Sep 28, 2005, 4:44pm

clark.....it may just have been the day i was there.... although i can imagine how that  feels to watch a place fall apart when you care so much about what is going on there, and in the business and the performance of everybody, all around...

i hope you will continue posting here.....if i am in ottawa next summer i would love to try your espresso!....

the unicentre renovations are still underway....some of it is quite messy....olivers is open, however!....cant say i have checked it out yet, other than a brief movie night there, but i hear its a fun place....
FineGrindCanuck

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless
Vac Pot: Cona type D
Drip: Krups Moka Brew
Roaster: Not yet...
Posted Thu Sep 29, 2005, 8:52am

Hi all,

Has anyone tried any of the espresso bars on Preston Street? I was strolling along there this past weekend and must have counted 7 or 8 within about 7 blocks. I would have tried one but had already had too much coffee that day. :)

Andrew
SulawesiSherry

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Mon Nov 14, 2005, 7:34pm

On Saturday I visited a place called Jazzoo on Beechwood  and Mckay (I  think) and I had a good shot  with all kinds of crema.  Good well rounded flavour from a  good'ol semi-auto.  Felt good.. felt real good and ... as a bonus funky atmosphere, nice art on the wall  and ....(wait for it)  good service from a friendly polite staff. What a concept!

I've been slowly learning to stay away from super autos because I don't often enjoy what comes out.
Cremini

Posted Wed Nov 16, 2005, 7:44pm

I've been to Jazzoo and it's one of the few places that seems to "get it". I've spoken to the owner there and the espresso they serve is Francesco's Il Cremoso blend.
davea
davea

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: Virtuoso
Drip: Press
Posted Wed Nov 16, 2005, 11:05pm

SulawesiSherry Said:

On Saturday I visited a place called Jazzoo on Beechwood  and Mckay

Posted November 14, 2005 link

Thanks for the recommendation! Will have to remember to drop in, not being too far away.

Dave
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Yossarian
Yossarian
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali Junior S/1
Grinder: La Cimbali Junior, Turkish...
Drip: Krups T8 Moka Brew,...
Roaster: Sinbo Popcorn Roaster
Posted Sat Jan 28, 2006, 8:22am

Hello Ottawa. I am flying in to town from Turkey for a whirlwind couple of days of meetings, and I am keen to find decent shot of espresso.  Last post about the Ottawa scene was November I see, so I am wondering if there is anything that the CoffeeGeek forum wants to say.
My list right now seems to be Francesco's (asking for Pietro, the Ottawa Bagel Shop and Deli (with luck there is a decent barista) and perhaps Cafe Mio and Planet Coffee...

In addition, I am on my way down to Haiti for a week after that.  Anybody have a recommendation on a coffee bean varietal from Haiti?  I saw some coffee cherries there last summer, but neglected to bring any home.  As a new home roaster, I am wondering what to look for (the stuff in the few stores in Haiti was dreadful...)
ThanksALatte

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Astoria
Grinder: Faema
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Ambex
Posted Sat Jan 28, 2006, 9:57am

Coffees from Haiti don't often receive very good reviews.  I can't speak for this personally as I don't carry a Haitian and can't ever recall even trying it by the cup anywhere.

It's likely that Haiti exports all the best crop which would explain why the stuff served to you when you were there was dreadful.

I've checked my usual sources and none of them even import/offer Haitian coffees for roasters (not a good sign).

I found one review online of a Haitian Blue that only scored in the mid 70's (not great) and that was back in 1998.  You may have better luck finding a nice Cuban or Dominican since they're close by.
victorytc

Espresso: Gaggia Carezza/Presso
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Posted Fri Feb 3, 2006, 11:39pm

Has anyone tried 'i Deal Coffee' on Dalhousie yet? I'm thinking of checking them out and was wondering if anyone could tell me how they stack up against Francesco's.  I notice they're significantly cheaper but still Fair Trade and Organic.

Cheers!

KJ
victorytc

Espresso: Gaggia Carezza/Presso
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Posted Sun Feb 5, 2006, 1:39pm

Alright, since apparently none of you turkeys have been there yet I'll write a review myself! :-P i Deal Coffee is at Dalhousie and Bruyere in the Market and thankfully has parking.  They roast their own beans and 'only roast what they need' so there is some assurance of freshness.  The price is very reasonable.  My half pound of their espresso blend was only $6 and they were all to pleased to give me a free shot to try it out.  

Now, I'm a horrible noob at coffee but it would seem to me that their machine could use a good cleaning and that my shot of espresso probably shouldn't have grinds in it, but at least it was freshly ground and tampered.  There seemed to be an absence of crema on the shot, but upon getting the beans home and making my own the blend seemed to cream up just fine.

Their signature coffee is the Prince of Darkness, which I haven't tried yet as I still have some Francesco's at home that I have to use up but it's next on my list.

All in all, I'd have to say the place has potential.
showing page 6 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Canada East > Decent espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.239409923553)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+