Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Eastern Canada
Decent espresso in Ottawa?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Canada East > Decent espresso...  
view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
ThanksALatte

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Astoria
Grinder: Faema
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Ambex
Posted Tue Aug 30, 2005, 5:57am
Subject: Re: Decent espresso in Ottawa?

Nobody ever welcomed me when I joined :(
 View Profile Link to this post
davea
davea
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: Virtuoso
Drip: Press
Posted Tue Aug 30, 2005, 6:40am

Hey, Greg!

I did read the mention of your place in Winchester with some interest. How's business?
I don't think that I was welcomed, either, but then I didn't really make an introductory post when I finally signed in a little after you.

I'm leaving the door open for Craig ... he was officially here before you (just a wee bit) :-)

Dave
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Tue Aug 30, 2005, 6:48am

davea Said:

Hey, Greg!

I did read the mention of your place in Winchester with some interest. How's business?
I don't think that I was welcomed, either, but then I didn't really make an introductory post when I finally signed in a little after you.

I'm leaving the door open for Craig ... he was officially here before you (just a wee bit) :-)

Dave

Posted August 30, 2005 link

Hey Dave, you should of just gone ahead! {;-)

Welcome to the Coffeegeek forums Greg!! {:-D
If I had of caught your 1st post, I would of said hi!

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
ThanksALatte

Espresso: Astoria
Grinder: Faema
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Ambex
Posted Tue Aug 30, 2005, 8:56am

LOL, thanks guys...I just couldn't resist going for a sympathy "hi".

Business is going great.  I'm still hoping for some CG'ers to stop by and try out the roaster.

By the way, hi Dave and Craig and welcome to the Coffeegeek forums!
allegria

Posted Fri Sep 9, 2005, 6:13pm

edited
davea
davea

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: Virtuoso
Drip: Press
Posted Fri Sep 9, 2005, 7:22pm

Hi, Jessica,

... and Welcome to CoffeeGeek!

You probably have the name right: Byward Café is in the Byward Market Square complex, next to a chocolatier(?), though I've never actually ordered coffee there (iirc, maybe once). Will have to keep that in mind.

A few other places around the market, including Planet Coffee (between George and York, a half a block and one building to the west of where you were).

When you're by Francesco's in Westboro, ask if Pietro is around.
Edit: If you are conducting a crawl, don't forget Caffe Mio in between the bagelshop and Francesco's.

Great to have you here!

Dave
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
keninottawa
keninottawa
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bialetti Brikka
Grinder: Black and Decker
Drip: Cuisinart Brewcentral
Roaster: Someday, perhaps...
Posted Mon Sep 12, 2005, 1:22pm

Hi Jessica!

Most coffee people in Ottawa have a love/hate relationship with Bridgehead. I've been a regular down at their Wellington and Richmond locations for a few years now, and love the atmosphere, the ethic and the dark roasts. I guess I really appreciate the Bridgehead community as much as the coffee! For me, it's as much of a hangout as a place to enjoy an excellent cup of fairly-traded organic brew. I will, however, agree that their espresso isn't the greatest. You might want to try some of their coffees, they're quite unique and generally robust.

Just curious -- are you at Carleton? I'm there finishing up a Geography degree.

Cheers,

- Ken

Dark Roast.
Dark Roast.
Dark Roast.
Clark

Espresso: Synesso
Grinder: Robur-e/Anfim
Posted Wed Sep 14, 2005, 12:31am

Jessica, just curious if you ever went to the Bagelshop.  I stopped working there about a month ago and I'd be curious to see how the espresso preparation is going these days.

Hopefully it hasn't all fallen apart without me!  I'd like to think they're still grinding to order and using the HX properly.  They may be using Illy, which coffeegeeks certainly frown upon, but the espresso we were serving there when I worked was far better than anything I had during the two weeks I just spent in Italy.

Anyway just let me know if you go there =)
allegria

Posted Tue Sep 27, 2005, 9:55am

Clark

Espresso: Synesso
Grinder: Robur-e/Anfim
Posted Wed Sep 28, 2005, 8:38am

Well it's unfortunate to hear that everything has gone downhill at the OBS.  I'm not totally surprised to hear it, but it's a shame that they aren't even grinding to order or cleaning the PF's anymore.  And 10 second shots... they must already have all new staff.  Oh well.

I'll be back in Ottawa sometime next Summer, probably in July.  I'll pick up a job again then but probably at another location that's actually a real coffee bar.

I hope you're enjoying life at Carleton.  I was there for 2 years and will be back again next year.  I have some friends in Mass Comm who seem to like the program.  How are the Unicentre renovations going?  It was a huge mess when I was there over the summer.  No more Olivers =(
showing page 5 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Canada East > Decent espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.229027032852)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+