Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Eastern Canada
Decent espresso in Ottawa?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Canada East > Decent espresso...  
view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
davea
davea
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: Virtuoso
Drip: Press
Posted Wed May 18, 2005, 3:34pm
Subject: Re: Decent espresso in Ottawa?

Greetings from another lost soul in the wasteland (coffee-wise).

Clark Said:

The place off Richmond near MEC is called Francesco's Coffee Company.

Posted April 11, 2005 link

Editted: I'm sure that Mark was thinking of Francesco's, but if someone is looking for them: Francesco's is on Winona next to Churchill, a block from Bushtukah (another sports supply place) but in the west end of Westboro.

Maayan Said:

I've seen shiny microfoam come out of Planet Coffee in the market ...
Otherwise, if you're willing to brave a chain coffeehouse, I'd check out Bridgehead

Posted May 12, 2005 link

I agree, Planet is worth a visit.

Maayan: Have you given Bridgehead's beans a go?  
I haven't as of yet and was scared off by staff comments that it's "something within two weeks or so" since they've had it shipped from their roasterie in Montreal. Perhaps their espresso blend has a more predictable turn around.

My lack of a decent grinder is severely hampering my ability to shop espresso blends. To date, I get most of my beans from Francesco's in large part because his grinder is the best I have found. Yes, that's right -- I live on pre-ground (arg!).

I have also had a decent cup at Cafe Mio, as mentioned, which is further west near Island Park.
And, most recently, the Bagelshop of course!  

Still hoping that Thyme and Again's amazing culinary skills will rub off on their coffee (yet another place on Richmond/Wellington, near Holland and the Bagelshop) .

Anyhoo, howdy folks!
Dave
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
lula

Espresso: La Spaziale Professionale
Grinder: Conti monster grinder!
Posted Thu May 19, 2005, 6:13am

davea Said:

Greetings from another lost soul in the wasteland (coffee-wise).

My lack of a decent grinder is severely hampering my ability to shop espresso blends. To date, I get most of my beans from Francesco's in large part because his grinder is the best I have found. Yes, that's right -- I live on pre-ground (arg!).

Dave

Posted May 18, 2005 link

Are you also buying beans from Francesco's and if so, which one do you like? I've tried the Cremoso and the Garibaldi espresso blends and I think I'm preferring the Cremoso.

Another question - when you buy your coffee pre-ground how do you knwo it's the right grind for your machine?
 View Profile Link to this post
davea
davea

Posted Thu May 19, 2005, 11:17am

lula Said:

Are you also buying beans from Francesco's and if so, which one do you like? I've tried the Cremoso and the Garibaldi espresso blends and I think I'm preferring the Cremoso.

Posted May 19, 2005 link

I prefer the Cremoso as well. I might like it to be a bit darker, for my tastes, but the Garibaldi doesn't suit me. IIRC, the Garibaldi is Fair Trade and roasted all as one batch, whereas the Cremoso is unfortunately not Fair Trade but is blended from multiple roasts.

I also buy the decaf (to use straight or blend with cremoso) and have enjoyed some of the origins: the peruvian is great for drip; they recently had a cuban coffee that actually produced a very good origin espresso.

As for pre-ground, well that was a small ordeal. I made trips to and from Franscesco's to dial in the best grind over a period of several weeks (it is too far for me to do it more regularly). Pietro's Ditting grinder is very consistent. It took a few iterations to settle on values, but for a while I found that those grind values were actually fairly repeatable between roasts. Curiously, the decaf blend required a much coarser grind, until now. I had thought that it would typically go the other way, but then it is a different blend.

In my case, I tamp for the grind rather than grind for the tamp. Corrections are required as the coffee ages, to combat moisture loss. Pre-ground has its limits, but I've not done that badly owing to good consistency. You risk having the grind quite far off on occasion: my latest batch of decaf is a lost child and my Espresso is blowing though it. May just have hit the wrong grind setting; the blends have been very tolerant in matching grinds between batches.

Tim from the Tea Party started roasting for them this year, and I've noticed some changes to the profiles and grind requirements. I had to adjust slightly on the Cremoso, also noticing that a sour character to the blend had been ameliorated. Lately I've also been finding a saltiness to it, but this could be user/grind error.

The day that I can afford a good grinder will be a happy day, though!
Hal2000

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancillio Lucy
Grinder: KitchenAid
Drip: Braun
Posted Fri May 20, 2005, 8:57am

I've been buying espresso from Francesco's for about a year now. I quite like  it.  I used to buy Lavazza but I think the Cremoso is much nicer.  It has a nice flavor and I agree that it's fairly consistent though sometimes the roasts do vary slightly.

I buy whole bean and grind using a kitchen aid unit so I don't quite know what to suggest for your setting.

I haven't tried the Fair Trade Organic Espresso but a collegue of mine quite likes it. I may try some this weekend.

Anyhow, if you're looking for espresso I highly reccomend Francescos.
RKEM

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Isomac Gran
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Nope
Roaster: Z&D
Posted Wed Jul 13, 2005, 3:45pm

Well, two new coffee shops, two new experiences and two disappointments. Maybe if everybody posts all the coffee shops they try, we will avoid wasting our time and who knows, maybe find a great place downtown.

So, first off, a place called "Memories", near the market. Great pie (mind you it was $7 a slice) but the cappa (usually the first thing I try as its "safer") was disappointing. It was not nasty tasting per say but underextracted, weak and had styrofoam on top. Let's say, tolerable ... but nothing more.

Second place, called "Oh So Good" also in the market area. Great atmosphere, more decent prices on pie (which was also good) but the cappa was sooooooo weak it was like drinking a miniature watered down latte. Plus the usual styrofoam (worse than the one at Memories) and with cinamon on top. Basically it tasted like cinamonny milk. I could barely taste the coffee in there.
davea
davea

Posted Wed Jul 13, 2005, 4:02pm

Hal2000 Said:

I haven't tried the Fair Trade Organic Espresso but a collegue of mine quite likes it.

Posted May 20, 2005 link

Old quote, but the thread was finally bumped and I have since given the Garibaldi another try (organic FT single-roast espresso). The following are solely my opinions and hypotheses and should not be taken as truth. I highly recommend trying Francescos for the Ottawa area. I'd love it if he roasted more dry process origins and a bit lighter, but he isn't there to serve me ;)

My latest thoughts on the Garibaldi is that it is perhaps rather temperature sensitive. I have a hard time getting the best shot from it and I don't think that I came close more than once or twice. However, I have a theory that it also suffers from being roasted all as one batch (or so I recall Pietro saying).

I ran into a few spikes in the Cremoso roasts a month back. Some of those, I believe, were grinding beans fresh off of his latest roast (usually Tues/Thurs evgs, sometimes Sunday). I had a few roasts back to back that were very bright compared to the stable norm.

From time to time I've had a problem with saltiness pulling the Cremoso. The recipe has not changed. It stopped around when Tim started roasting for them but has reappeared recently. I am now always pulling it at a higher temp to try and combat this. Note: I do not know to what extent my experience is related to my grind since I can't tweak it between shots, except that I've had six months of experience with the grind range that I'm using and require for consistent shots. Anyone else notice this or is it just me? I'm thinking the Indonesian/Asian components but it's just a guess and could be all about user error.

Dave
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Wed Jul 13, 2005, 4:31pm

Glad to see Francesco's getting some props.

However.... >:)

It'd be cool if

a) he learned to cup and actually know the nuances of coffee a bit more instead of relying on the old "hey, I'm Italian, we know espresso" routine (someone please tell me he's learned to cup!)

and

b) he learned how to pull a decent shot.

I personally gave the guy what he called "the best shot of espresso I've ever had"  (direct quote) when he first was opening. It took some doing. I had to clean the grinder quite a bit (it was full of partially brewed coffee, stemming from him dumping the excess PF ground coffee into the bin, with the wet spouts dripping in as well). I then gave his espresso machine a fifteen minute clean (he didn't have any of the right tools, not even a blind filter basket). Then I ran it the way a HX machine should be run, and gave him the first shot I pulled. Showed him all the basics.

Came back to his shop about 7 months later, to find that everything I tried to show him was for moot. The doser was full of preground and "brewed" coffee grounds (he said "hey, I don't want to waste coffee, it costs money!"); the portafilters were a mess with junk crud on the spouts. The machine was dirty and unkept. The rituals of prepping espresso were horrid. And the resulting shots had black holes in the middle of blond crema.

I basically gave up at that point. ;) Then we started talking about roasted coffee, and I know this will sound snobby, but I knew within five minutes I knew like, 100% more about roasting coffee than he did.

This was about, oh, 1.5 years ago now. Late fall, 2003. I hope things have improved. Someone please tell me. Francescos broke my heart.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
MikeF

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sat Jul 16, 2005, 7:58pm

No improvement.  But the El Cremoso is the best (or, I suppose, least bad) fresh-roasted stuff available for espresso in Ottawa.
MufferawJo

Grinder: Cuisinart supreme burr mill...
Drip: cuisinart brew central(drip)...
Posted Sat Jul 16, 2005, 8:38pm

You said:

'I haven't tried the Fair Trade Organic Espresso but a collegue of mine quite likes it. I may try some this weekend."

Equator Coffee Roasters has an awesome Eh!Spresso bean. Very rich and smooth tasting !

http://www.equator.ca
ELSEBET

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Jul 18, 2005, 10:04am

Two places that should also be checked out are 1)Morala Coffee in the Glebe and 2)Wild Oat (kind of a natural food store with a coffee counter off to the side)

ELSEBET
showing page 2 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Canada East > Decent espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.300027132034)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+