Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Australia, New Zealand and Asia
Happy buying experience
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Australasia > Happy buying...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
benthx

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: San Marino CKX
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: which one to buy???
Posted Wed Nov 3, 2004, 2:30am
Subject: Happy buying experience

Hello Fellow Geeks

Well after three months of looking and reading on the forum.  Today I purchased a CKX and a Gino Rossi CC45a.  I origionally wanted the Mazzer mini but availablity of stock on the grinder was an issue.  I was however able to come to an aggreement on price reduction on the Gino Rossi.

Like a fellow member SKARNISK I looked locally being in Perth as well.  I cant beleive what nonsense was conveyed to me by the local store in the outer area of Perth.  Skarnisk may know whom I am talking about.

I made enquiries with a very helpfull gentleman named Chris from Sienna.  Besides the substantial saving on the espresso machine  and grinder.  Also included was four latte glasses, quality tamper, coffee sample, and cleaner.  Even with the added cost of postage I was still way out in front.

Happy to recommend Sienna.
 View Profile Link to this post
Skarsnik
Skarsnik
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: None
Grinder: None
Posted Wed Nov 3, 2004, 7:14am
Subject: Re: Happy buying experience

benthx Said:

Like a fellow member SKARNISK I looked locally being in Perth as well.  I cant beleive what nonsense was conveyed to me by the local store in the outer area of Perth.  Skarnisk may know whom I am talking about.

Posted November 3, 2004 link

What the heck Skarnisk?....
Anyway, at least you can go to the local guy, ignore him and have a look at the CKX, then go buy it elsewhere! :)...

I purchased from Sienna and would do it again. I was very happy with the price and delivery but have had issues with the CKX itself.

I'm not sure I've mentioned this on cgeek but basically out of the box the thing rattled like which required moving the pump and it needed a tune which I ended up doing by feel (It was running too cold with too much pressure). A bit of a pain and not really what you expect after blowing that much cash, but on the good side I learnt alot by taking the machine to pieces :).

Apart from that the CKX is well built, and alot of stainless steel.

Skars
mikeW
mikeW
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: S20de2 / classic 1v / rex...
Grinder: rocky / RR45 / climax
Drip: bravilor nova
Roaster: sienna-r3
Posted Thu Nov 4, 2004, 3:13am

CKX noise is normally related to the ULKA pump same as Rancilio Silvia and S24 as well as Epoca or Simonelli 'Oscar'.
If the pump or its mountings touch on the outer shell the vibrating action
can coase noise
Repositioning will solve this problem

If a HX machine is to cold?

HX machines have a extended heat up time to allow all parts to heat
(espessially the grouphead)

If allowing for heat up time and drawing some water thr group still does not
give a sufficient temp check your water temp.
If water temp is out side brew-temp range your Mechanical-pressure-stat
has to be adjusted

Regards Mikew
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Skarsnik
Skarsnik

Posted Sat Nov 6, 2004, 2:39am

Yup the pump was hitting the frame, nasty noise. The wierd thing was there are holes in the frame so you can easily move the pump to a 2nd posistion so it wont hit the frame, what I can't work out is why this 2nd position has already been drilled into the frame but the pump was installed in the other position where it vibrates.

While I have your attention Mike. The pressure/boiler temperature adjustment is at the front top of the machine. But what are the other two at the bottom back and top back of the machine?

Skars
benthx

Posted Sat Nov 6, 2004, 5:12am

All machines that leave Sienna are checked and run for 48hours if I recall.  Perhaps this is a new practice to relsolve any possible variations to the norm.

This would help to eliminate any potential anominallies like vibration of pump against frame etc....

Rest asured I will be posting when the goods arrive.

In respect to the adjustables on the machine, are they not described in the user manual?  Better still send an email to Sienna and I am sure Chris will explain.

By the way Skars, how long have you had your machine for?  What type of beans do you use?

Ben
Skarsnik
Skarsnik

Posted Mon Nov 8, 2004, 5:33am

benthx Said:

In respect to the adjustables on the machine, are they not described in the user manual?

Posted November 6, 2004 link

The manual is a classic case of engrish :). But yeah your right I should hassle Chris on this one.

benthx Said:

By the way Skars, how long have you had your machine for?  What type of beans do you use?

Posted November 6, 2004 link

Er 6 months, not really sure. It spent alot of time sitting on the bench before I got around to tuning it so I really havn't used to that much.
Coffee beans! Err, a range of blends, but pretty much all medium roast.

Skars

N.B. I feel I should mention this: I'm not trying to scare anyone off Sienna, I would definatly without hesitation buy from them again. Or even the CKX, it really is well built with a couple of reservations. But I wish someone would have pre-warned me about these kind of issues which is why I posted :).
mikeW
mikeW
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: S20de2 / classic 1v / rex...
Grinder: rocky / RR45 / climax
Drip: bravilor nova
Roaster: sienna-r3
Posted Mon Nov 8, 2004, 5:58am

The CKX has a adjustable pressure-stat (round/black located in middle back of the machine)

ONLY ADJUST THIS WITH POWER OFF !!!

Make small adjustments if you have to (1/4 turn) and let the system
settle before making more adjustments

Pressure on machine should be above 1.1 but remain under 1.4
Pressure and temperature are related but changes are not direct.

The Other Adjustment is the pressure return located next to the stat.
This allows the pump pressure to be limited.

Regrads MikeW
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
benthx

Posted Mon Nov 15, 2004, 5:10am

Well Hello........Fellow Geeks

My coffee machine and grinder arrived on Friday.  Excited about my purchase I was only too anxious to open the boxes up.  Unfortunately the coffee machine was slighlty damaged in transit. It received a nice dent on the side as the box had been punctured.  The hopper for the grinder was cracked in a few places.   This did take a little shine off the purchase.  But of no fault to the store purchased from.  

The freighting companies can be a little careless when it comes to freight.  Here is a word of caution about enlisting the services of well know freighting companies with large corporate profiles.  They not always deliver the goods themselves.  They do subcontract out to other smaller firms whose handling control/techiques may be not as careful.

I have seen quite a few LaGermania ovens with HUGE dents in them and some even been punctured buy forklift trucks in the goods received area.  I recently took delivery of a $4000.00 Glem oven which also had a NASTY dent in the side and bucked the front fasica.

Back to the coffee machine.  The issue of damage to it is being dealt with in a professional manner by Sienna.  Good on them!  

I pulled three singles this afternoon in the provided clear glass latte glasses. Very interesting to  see the Guineese Effect that I read about.  Crema was evident on the top and smelt pleasant.  

I still can't understand how people drink short blacks.  Coffee always taste slightly bitter to me
AlMac

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Reneka Techno, Quaha...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Lux
Posted Mon Nov 15, 2004, 11:00pm

benthx Said:

I still can't understand how people drink short blacks.  Coffee always taste slightly bitter to me

Posted November 15, 2004 link

Suggest you go and have an espresso (or a ristretto) from either:
CoreEspresso - Allendale Square on St Georges Tce; or
Fix Espresso (but make sure Justin makes it) - Cnr Outram St and Hay St West Perth.

If you don't like it from either of those two places you never will.
easytiger

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 10:36pm

Hi
I'm new to this website so am hoping I can get a bit of information on this forum/discussion.
I've recently aquired a Gino Rossi RR45A flat bur grinder. Actually there's a tag on it that suggests Saeco is the distributor.
I need to give it a good clean so have started to take it apart. The doser's off and so are the components up to the bottom bottom bur. Can anyone please advise on the best way to clean. I've had the Solis conical bur grinder for some time and found this creates a good consistent grind and has been a gem to clean.
Also I'm not a big fan of the dosers so would like to know if anyone can suggest a way to modify so the grinds fall into the filter.

Thanks in advance
ET!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Australasia > Happy buying...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.305299043655)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+