Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Australia, New Zealand and Asia
Places for Coffee in HK, Pearl River Delta
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Australasia > Places for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 6 of 6 first page previous page
Author Messages
pstam
pstam
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 10:25pm
Subject: Re: Places for Coffee in HK, Pearl River Delta

boblam Said:

Paul, you're welcome.  Also, thank you for the story on STS coffee thing.  Hong Kong coffee scene is amazing, isn't it :D

pstam:  I have no comment on WBC.  But as Paul implied, HKBC just started and the competition has lots of company promotion phase in there and lots of other agenda too.  Whether it will sail smoothly afterward, who know?  I'm talking from a customer point of view only and if a customer feels this much, you can judge the industry yourself.

Posted October 9, 2012 link

If you are not a real normal customer, how can you talk only from the point of view of a normal customer?
Your feel may be from a coffee person only, I suppose.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Lazzana

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 2:58am

Hi everyone! I'm new to Hong Kong, thanks for your info boblam! Looking for fresh roasted coffee beans, have tried Rabbithole, just a bit expensive, do you have any review for "The fresh coffee beans and tea house" ( http://hkcoffee.co) or "Great Deals" ( http://greatdeals.com.hk )???
Some of my chinese friends introduced me but I'd like to hear more people's review about these two companies. Thanks.

Lazzana
 View Profile Link to this post
santunoo

Grinder: Anfim Milano and Hario Mini...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2
Drip: Nel-Drip
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 6:25am

Hi Lazzana,

I absolutely love "Fresh Coffee Beans" over at Northpoint. When I lived in HK for 3 years, I went there every week to buy beans and talk with  with the owners, Shing and Landy, about coffee. I now live in New York and still order my beans from Fresh. I can go on and on about how great they are, but I would highly recommend trying their beans. And Bob Lam can verify this, but I think Fresh roasts the beans for Rabbithole.

Let us know what you think after trying their beans.
boblam

Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012, 12:42am

Lazzana Said:

Hi everyone! I'm new to Hong Kong, thanks for your info boblam! Looking for fresh roasted coffee beans, have tried Rabbithole, just a bit expensive, do you have any review for "The fresh coffee beans and tea house" ( http://hkcoffee.co) or "Great Deals" ( http://greatdeals.com.hk )???
Some of my chinese friends introduced me but I'd like to hear more people's review about these two companies. Thanks.

Lazzana

Posted November 20, 2012 link

I want to correct the link to Fresh/hkcoffee website as www.hkcoffee.com

santunoo Said:

...but I think Fresh roasts the beans for Rabbithole.

Posted November 20, 2012 link

From what I know, Fresh/hkcoffee is a totally separated operation from Rabbithole though Fresh/hkcoffee helped set up the roasting operation and lots of things at Rabbithole at the beginning.  The roaster at Rabbithole is handpicked by Fresh/hkcoffee which continues to roast the coffee with the same roast profile Fresh/hkcoffee uses, thus a similarity both places have though the coffee offering in general is different.

1.  There is a whole thread on coffee bean in Hong Kong here.  "Coffee beans in Hong Kong" I did make some short comment there.  You can also add Knockbox Coffee Company as a new roaster as the cafe now offers roasted coffee for you to buy, either direct trade (to my knowledge, the first cafe in Hong Kong who is able and willing to do this vs just talk), CoE and high quality beans.

2.  The price of coffee in this part of the world is more expensive due to economy of scale, rent and import parity pricing some used.  Try comparing to Korea and Japan and Hong Kong might be a bargain.  :)  Nevertheless, this is not the first time I found something dubious on claims regarding 'fresh' and things and I felt like a kind of advertising in disguise.  I would be very comfortable and admire if the owner actually comes out and disclose that he is the business owner and talks about his business than just some form of disguise but that's just me.
Lazzana

Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012, 7:42pm

Thanks Guys!
So I went to the hkcoffee website finally and just learned that they roast their coffee like right in front of you?? And you need to choose your own roast level.. Never had that experience in my life, not even in the states. I'd like to get some Colombia supremo and the ethiopia yirgachefee for myself and my dad, any recommendation other than these two? And what level of roasting should I get? I see they also has a forum but unfortunately I don't read any Chinese... does the owner speak English?
boblam

Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 5:34pm

I have no time to put up more detail but let me put in some introduction of these cafes first

Amical, Admiralty (near Three Pacific Place)
Click Here (www.openrice.com)

Connie, the barista over there is very enthusiastic on coffee + great skill on pulling Cameroon Single Origin espresso, the first time I had this coffee in quality conscious cafe in Hong Kong.  This is not robusta bean which is more associated with coffee from Cameroon but a decent Arabica bean.

Other coffees are from Felix, El Au and his team from www.coffeeassembly.com and Click Here (www.baristaacademy.hk)  I'm impressed with baristas that Felix and El trained so far.

It's a must drop by if you in the area

Express Bar by Lassana, Kwun Tong
Click Here (www.openrice.com)
http://www.facebook.com/LassanaLimited

Opened by Tracy Kwok, the 1st Hong Kong Grand Barista Champion (in 2009 I think).  I haven't visited but coffee from Tracy haven't disappointed me as far as I remember.  Probably the only cafe to use Kalita Wave in Hong Kong vs. mostly either V60 or Melitta type filter.  Quite far away from city center and tourist though on its location.
santunoo

Grinder: Anfim Milano and Hario Mini...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2
Drip: Nel-Drip
Posted Sat Dec 1, 2012, 6:25am

Lazzana Said:

Thanks Guys!
So I went to the hkcoffee website finally and just learned that they roast their coffee like right in front of you?? And you need to choose your own roast level.. Never had that experience in my life, not even in the states. I'd like to get some Colombia supremo and the ethiopia yirgachefee for myself and my dad, any recommendation other than these two? And what level of roasting should I get? I see they also has a forum but unfortunately I don't read any Chinese... does the owner speak English?

Posted November 26, 2012 link

Hi Lazzana,
It's great that Fresh roasts to the customer's preferred roast level. I miss that over here in the States where it is impossible to get such individual attention unless one roasts the beans oneself. I would get "City Plus" to start. I usually get "City" roast, but it's not to everyone's liking. The Colombia Supremo and Ethiopian are good choices.

And yes, the owners do speak English. But they are a little shy, so they might not be too talkative to a non-Chinese speaker at first.

For the forum, I sometimes use google translate, but it's not the best.
showing page 6 of 6 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Australasia > Places for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.280586004257)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+