Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Australia, New Zealand and Asia
Places for Coffee in HK, Pearl River Delta
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Australasia > Places for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
boblam

Posted Thu Jun 9, 2011, 5:08am
Subject: Re: Places for Coffee in HK, Pearl River Delta

Paul, thank you very much for the invitation... I have prior appointment but try to make it... It sounds like a great activity... :)
 View Profile Link to this post
boblam

Posted Sat Jun 25, 2011, 5:50am

18 Grams at Gala Place, Mong Kok, Kowloon

This is a new branch of 18 Grams and Glory Coffee in Hong Kong on Kowloon side in one of the busiest shopping district.

What's so special about it is the return of the "Three Little Pig" blend to 18 Grams after a six month hiatus.  Three Little Pig blend is Mexican, Guatemala and Nicaraguan and one get the clean, citrusy sweetness in the cup that works very well with milk and black.  Some weakness of body and aftertaste and a bit of the roasty and peanut tone that I don't really like but a signature of Glory Coffee  However, what's in the cup more than makes up of all the weakness and what it does not have.  Even in the empty cup, the honey and citrusy fragrance were so salient I kept on smelling the empty cup for a long while.

One won't get this blend from its first shop in Causeway Bay so this new branch of 18 Grams is really worth a visit if one happens to be in Hong Kong and wants a good cup.
boblam

Posted Mon Jul 4, 2011, 8:03am

Some update

1. Coffee Plus in Happy Valley, Hong Kong

A change of heart of its owner from staled imported robusta blend from Trucillo to locally roasted coffee via La Marzocco agent in Hong Kong resulted a night and day improvement on its coffee.  I have a soft spot for Sidamo and it showed itself up beautifully in the cups I had over the weekend there.

The milk drink which was very good (as long as one tells its barista one wants "warm" drink, not hot a la local favorite drink profile) with a nice texture and milk sweetness.  The locally roasted blend provided a nice backbone to the cup vs. the old staled barely there tasting note of Trucillo

The change of heart of the owner from imported to locally roasted bean (was close to impossible not too long ago despite lots of comments from coffee enthusiasts to the owner), its barista skill (2011 GBC contestant), a nice decor and good food offering together make this place now my recommended stop by cafe!

2. hkcoffee.com project: a 'daring' project from hkcoffee.com

It kinda reminded me of Hoffmann's Penny University with a more liberal pay system. They also served food (vegetarian) too.

Place: Cook Light, Quarry Bay, Hong Kong
Date and time: Every weekend starting from Saturday, July 9, 2011 (tentative)
Machine:
  1. A pressure profile modded dual-boiler Expobar
  2. Aeropress + Coava DISK
  3. Others (tentative)

Pricing model: Pay what you think the cupís worth!
Barista: Various and could be you!
Blend: Secret!

Exchange of opinion, coffee talk, etc are all welcome
More info to come or you can ask hkcoffee.com direct
boblam

Posted Fri Jul 8, 2011, 1:18pm

Update:
hkcoffee.com project: Move the open date to Saturday, July 16, 2011
pstam
pstam
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Sat Jul 9, 2011, 3:17am

Any results about the visit to the above cafes?

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
boblam

Posted Sat Jul 9, 2011, 10:12am

I believe I provide very short notes on these cafes above.  You can find more opinion on local websites such as openrice.com on the very first page of this thread.
pstam
pstam
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Sun Jul 10, 2011, 2:11am

Thanks a lot. I am going to check it out.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
santunoo

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Anfim Milano and Hario Mini...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2
Drip: Nel-Drip
Posted Tue Jul 19, 2011, 5:13pm

Wow! I had no idea that this was taking place, Bob. I sure wish I were back in HK so I could help out with Shing's, Landy's and Mike's new venture. I hope it works out for them all.
boblam

Posted Wed Jul 20, 2011, 7:53am

santunoo Said:

Wow! I had no idea that this was taking place, Bob. I sure wish I were back in HK so I could help out with Shing's, Landy's and Mike's new venture. I hope it works out for them all.

Posted July 19, 2011 link

I think they all missed you.... Come back fast as I don't know how long the project will last... :)
boblam

Posted Mon Sep 5, 2011, 5:42am

A short update on Coco Espresso and Barista Jam

Coco Espresso: Its new machine finally arrived.  It's a two group Linea, PIDed with Paddle group.  The size fit nicely to its countertop and don't let the look of this legendary machine fool you... The cup I had was so unlike typical round thing from Linea I had before.  It's more of a 'modern' style tasting note with more emphasis on everything forward/transparent and less on body/mouthfeel.  Not bad but I kinda miss the classic Linea style cup... Now the line that separate Coco's coffee style from Barista Jam is also a bit more blurred as the cup profiles are somewhat similarly hip kinda thing!

Barista Jam:  New grinder, Mazzer Robur, are now in use for its house blend.  Now what's in the cup at BJ is even better... More distinct layers of taste but coherent as a cup of coffee, unlike the old grinder that I sense a more digital feel to the cup, ie every tasting note seemed to stick out/in your face at the same time.  Good for those who like body-lite style coffee.
showing page 2 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Australasia > Places for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.237457036972)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+