Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Australia, New Zealand and Asia
Tea and Coffee in Bangkok
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Australasia > Tea and Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Jimmy_Thai

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: FB80
Grinder: Robur
Roaster: ....its turkish.
Posted Fri Nov 14, 2008, 8:48pm
Subject: Tea and Coffee in Bangkok

Ok, I'm in and out of Bangkok every now and then so I'm after some decent tea and coffee there. A search dug up these places:

Ristretto, Lat Phrao

P & F, near victory monument

Kuppa, Sukhumvit 16

Suksit's cafe, where?

Anyone know of anywhere else? Anyone know of any roasters that are up for a chat?  Also I'm trying to find some decent leaf tea for an English friend. Anyone know where I can buy some that isn't going to cost 1000 baht?

Thanks,
James.
 View Profile Link to this post
NewEnglandCliff
NewEnglandCliff

Espresso: La Spaziale S1, Salvatore,...
Grinder: Macap, Innova, Solis
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Sunbeam C20B,...
Roaster: Hearthware I-Roast
Posted Thu Feb 26, 2009, 11:11am
Subject: Re: Tea and Coffee in Bangkok

Suksit's shop is called "He Brews". It's east southeast of downtown, on a circle called "Wong Wien Yee Sib Song" or 22nd July Circle.

Dolce Vita,

NEC
DannyH
DannyH

Espresso: La Scala Butterfly, Gaggia...
Grinder: Mazzer mini E, Iberital
Posted Wed Mar 4, 2009, 7:12pm

Actually thats where Suksit roasts and has a kind opf cafe set up, but he also has a cafe also right next to Pra Khanong BTS station.
P&F is near victory monument and easy to get to. The coffee is good and great to talk with Sirada about coffee...from growing beans to roasting and cupping.
I live in Phuket and am yet to find a better supplier of fresh beans which I have delivered weekly.
NewEnglandCliff
NewEnglandCliff

Posted Fri Mar 20, 2009, 11:55am

Just returned from Thailand. Yes, Suksit is partnered with Sweet Guilt, which is right below the Phra Kanong BTS. Very nice shop - not quite what I was expecting with that name. Expected moms with their kids in there slurping candy drinks and eating deserts but it's actually a classy coffee shop making excellent espresso drinks. Very nice seating and artwork. My girlfriend and I were the only ones there and we were treated very well with an excellent afternoon espresso.

Suksit and Sirada are very welcoming and special people. Even though they're extremely busy they're both quite approachable and helpful. They're also both very involved in nurturing the small coffee growers of the Chiang Mai region and I brought some of those well tended shade grown green beans back with me from Sirada's shop. AFAIK, Thai coffee has never been available in the US. Perhaps because it's produced in such small quantities, certainly not because the quality is lacking. Sirada invited us to the 3rd round of the Thai Barista and Latte Art Competition where two of her baristas were competing.

Between these 3 shops we had no desire to find coffee any where else. Great trip!

Dolce Vita,

NEC

Espresso: La Nuova Cuadra
Grinder: Ascaso Mini
Drip: Cafe Phin, Moka Pot, Bodum...
Posted Sun Sep 6, 2009, 6:13pm

Does anyone know what's happened to Sweet Guilt? I've stopped by there from time-to-time over many months and it's never open.

This weekend I dropped by Third Wave Coffee Roastery Shop, on Sukhumvit Soi 61 (about 100 meters in from the main road, right across the soi from Major Cineplex Ekamai). It was my first time there. They make a luscious single-origin roast (Thailand). I thought it was surprisingly good. Every shot is pulled by the owner, Khun Santi, with loving care. IMO, Khun Santi is adding to the diversity of the local coffee market and is at the opposite end of the spectrum from the chain cafes. If you're in the Ekamai area, I suggest you try his espresso and engage him in a chat about the local market.

Jimmy_Thai

Espresso: FB80
Grinder: Robur
Roaster: ....its turkish.
Posted Sun Nov 1, 2009, 2:02am

Wow all very welcome information, how unfortunate I'm back in Melbourne now. Should be in Thailand soonish though. Thanks for all the info guys.
supermegafish

Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: hand grinder
Drip: v60
Posted Sun Aug 12, 2012, 8:20am

Hey I'm new to BKK and looking for some good fresh roasted coffee. Iv'e been spoiled back at home in Michigan by going to micro roasters and getting fresh roasted coffee. I stopped by Sab Coffee Roasters the other day I think its by BTS Asok. The coffee was Thai arabica but over roasted sadly. Even then it had good potential and was still a little sweet with a strong acidity. I'm excited to see what it would taste like when roasted properly. So Sweet Guilt is good then? Also, anyone know where I can pick up a hand grinder and a pour over?
NewEnglandCliff
NewEnglandCliff

Posted Sun Aug 12, 2012, 8:55am

Have you tried P and F Coffee? We had fine espresso there 3 years ago, and they have lots of equipment for sale. You can buy their own roasted beans there, as well, including Thai beans. Tell Sirada, the owner, that Cliff and Anita said hi!

Dolce Vita,

NEC
supermegafish

Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: hand grinder
Drip: v60
Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012, 12:30am

I actualy just tryed to venture out to p and f today but couldn't find it. my phone told me it was where the fire station was. any idea how fo get there? By victory monument?
NewEnglandCliff
NewEnglandCliff

Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012, 5:16am

Yes, and then continue in the same direction as the BTS (north, I think) and it's not quite half way to the next stop on the right. That's maybe a couple blocks. Actually, we may have gotten off at the stop before Victory Monument and then walked towards that. There's a map on her website but it's in Thai. I found this address on their website:

31/16-19 Room 101-2, 1st Floor Phayathai Building, Phayathai Road, Rajtevi District, Bangkok 10400, Thailand   Tel. +66 2245 7999, +668 6789 2699

Dolce Vita,

NEC
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Australasia > Tea and Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.269634008408)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+