Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Australia, New Zealand and Asia
Places for Coffee in HK, Pearl River Delta
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Australasia > Places for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
boblam

Posted Mon Sep 5, 2011, 7:01am
Subject: Re: Places for Coffee in HK, Pearl River Delta

Some mistake happen to this post... Would appreciate moderator to delete this particular post as it's the same as the one on the first page of this thread.
 View Profile Link to this post
boblam

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2011, 9:02am

The result of the 1st Hong Kong Barista Championship, 2011 (World Barista Championship representative from Hong Kong) September, 7, 2011

1. Sum, Chan Chak Sum of 18 Grams Gala Place in Mong Kok, Kowloon, Hong Kong - 582.5 points
  2. Chiu, Derek (Independent)                                                                                        - 563.5 points
  3. Lam, Ben of Cafe Golden, Sham Shui Po, Kowloon, Hong Kong                               - 521.0 points
  4. Leung, Yanbi, also from 18 Grams Gala Place in Mong Kok, Kowloon, Hong Kong - 509.5 points
  5. Chris, Yeung So Fan, previously of McCafe                                                                - 471.5 points
  6. Rachel, Lai King Sum of McCafe                                                                                 - 457.5 points

Congratulation to you all!!!

18 Grams in Mong Kok has been my new favorite since its opening couple months ago and the place I have been suggesting people to visit if they are in Hong Kong.  I think this helps substantiate more why it's so good with only a short period of time after its opening... :)
santunoo

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Anfim Milano and Hario Mini...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2
Drip: Nel-Drip
Posted Wed Sep 7, 2011, 5:21pm

boblam Said:

The result of the 1st Hong Kong Barista Championship, 2011 (World Barista Championship representative from Hong Kong) September, 7, 2011

Sum, Chan Chak Sum of 18 Grams Gala Place in Mong Kok, Kowloon, Hong Kong - 582.5 points
Chiu, Derek (Independent)                                                                                        - 563.5 points
Lam, Ben of Cafe Golden, Sham Shui Po, Kowloon, Hong Kong                               - 521.0 points
Leung, Yanbi, also from 18 Grams Gala Place in Mong Kok, Kowloon, Hong Kong - 509.5 points
Chris, Yeung So Fan, previously of McCafe                                                                - 471.5 points
Rachel, Lai King Sum of McCafe                                                                                 - 457.5 points

Congratulation to you all!!!

18 Grams in Mong Kok has been my new favorite since its opening couple months ago and the place I have been suggesting people to visit if they are in Hong Kong.  I think this helps substantiate more why it's so good with only a short period of time after its opening... :)

Posted September 7, 2011 link

Excellent! Thanks for posting this, Bob. I was interested to see the results. I know Chris and Rachel and glad to see that they also placed well.
Is there a website where I can read more about this year's HK Barista Championship? Thanks.
boblam

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2011, 7:59pm

Hi, try facebook of Hong Kong Professional Ciffee Assoc for some more info.  Today is the World Siphonist Championship which you are supposed to be one of the contestants but you decide to leave us... :)
santunoo

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Anfim Milano and Hario Mini...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2
Drip: Nel-Drip
Posted Thu Sep 8, 2011, 6:29am

Hahaha! I was actually on my way to Hong Kong, but my siphon broke on the plane so I flew back home :)
Keep us posted on the winner of the siphon competition.
tahoejoe
tahoejoe
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Behmor Brazen Brew System
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Sep 8, 2011, 7:04am

I was just in Hong Kong and as has been the pattern since first meeting them got to see Jason and his soon to be bride Gloria (owners of 18 Grams and Glory coffee). While there we watched the prelims August 20th then later that day after the competition was completed went to the roastery for mach's, turkish coffees and lessons on extraction.

This couple besides just being all around wonderful people are perhaps two of most most passionate people I've ever met when it comes to coffee so it's good to see their staff did well..

Congrats to all and thanks to Jason, Gloria and all their staff for making my trips to Asia memorable.

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/behmor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Behmor-Inc/214061212036763#!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
boblam

Posted Thu Sep 8, 2011, 9:10am

The result of World Siphonist Championship 2011 Hong Kong Region is as follow (Via Dixon Ip, Xen Coffee, Quarry Bay, Hong Kong)
  1. Vincent Hung (Hung Ka Wai) - The Specialty Coffee Limited, SCAA Certified Lab & Test Center
  2. Tsuyoshi Mok (Mok Wai Kin) - Accro Coffee, Long Ping
  3. Candy Tong (Tong Wai Ching) - KC Coffee, Kowloon Bay
  4. Hermione Au (Au Yin Man) - Coffee Assembly, Kwun Tong

Vincent will represent Hong Kong in the World Siphonist Championship 2011 Finals in Tokyo on September 30, 2011.
http://worldsiphonistchampionship.org/wsc2011/index.html
I've never been to these cafes/places except Coffee Assembly but I don't think I have its Vac Pot coffee before or only one time so no comment on all these places.
boblam

Posted Fri Oct 14, 2011, 5:11pm

Knockbox Coffee Company

This is the type of café I wish I found at the time I started to be seriously interested in good coffee a long while back.

Knockbox Coffee Company is run by Frances and Patrick, coffee enthusiasts, who seemed to find a coffee epiphany from drinking coffees from Gwilym Davies until they realized that one day Mr. Davies disappeared from his shop and both were told Mr. Davies went to World Barista Championship in Atlanta, GA, USA. Of course, the rest is history; Davies was crowned World Barista Champion in April 2009.  As for their coffee journey, they visit lots of about cafe in London and opened the shop in Hong Kong.  Patrick himself is on his way to become a Q-grader... (expected by the end of this year) :)

On its menu, the coffee “grand slam” is highly recommended by me; the grand slam offers three cups of coffee that you can mix and match to your heart desire, ie one coffee three brewing methods, three different coffee on one brewing method and any other combination you could think of within three cups.  I find this is great way to explore coffee in a friendly environment with no rush.  Beside, you are encouraged to have an interaction with barista as much as you like, be it talking coffee like a friend, brew the coffee yourself with a variety of method they offer or just simply asking for advices/opinion or sit there quietly and let the coffee in the cups entertain you.   A variety of brewing apparatuses includes pressure profile modded Expobar espresso machine, French press, Eva Solo, Chemex, V60, Coava KONE Version 2, Aeropress, Coava/ABLE DISK, Siphon via halogen lamp, ice drip coffee, etc... It seems you name it they have it... :)  

Apart from a variety of coffee from local and international roasters they have on hand (last night offerings were 89pt Taiwan's Coffee Artigiano and one roaster I couldn't remember the name from Australia and, in the past, Square Mile Coffee and Hasbean from the UK), Patrick also roasts the bean himself sourced both locally and renowned green bean sellers in the US ranging from generic to CoE grade via Gene Cafe.  The roaster will soon be replaced by a 1kg Probat roaster!

The no rush/friendly/coffee talk is not to be missed here and I wish there could be more of this kind of place in Hong Kong.

The hours are a bit tricky as it seems to be in a soft opening stage, ie Saturday and Sunday late morning and the whole afternoon and Friday night though this works out very well with me.  

The location is a bit of a stretch for me as there is no easy access via subway (known as MTR in Hong Kong).  Though after climbing up the stone paved Ladder Street, I can only say it's worth all the troubles.  Of course, Taxi and bus are there but rush hours and traffic killed my initial plan on bus and cab.

Knockbox Coffee Company
Shop B, 14 Tai Ping Shan Street, Central District, Hong Kong
Hours: Friday night and weekend late morning and afternoon
Knockbox facebook:http://www.facebook.com/Knockboxcoffee
knockbox Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/knockbox_coffee
Email: knockboxcoffee@gmail.com

I put some of my note on Knockbox up here for further information and pictures on how the place looks like and what's available there:
Click Here (freshcoffeentea.no-ip.info)
boblam

Posted Tue Nov 29, 2011, 5:10am

A short note on Coco Espresso

I was more and more impressed with Coco Espresso as they finally settle with their new 2 paddle group LM Linea which gives a more consistent and transparent cup of coffee.

In addition, its siphon offering was surprisingly decent.  With Coco Espresso's trade mark of ease and simplicity, it's easy to get nuances of siphon coffee of both regular offering from Square Mile monthly subscription coffee and coffee from local roasters Coco plans to add to the line up.

Coco has been through a long history than most other cafes.  It has its ups and downs in the past.  Nevertheless, if you haven't visited Coco lately, I suggest you reacquaint yourself with this lovely cafe once again and see things in the new light there.
boblam

Posted Wed Nov 30, 2011, 6:58am

A bit more update on local cafe scene that I know of

New cafes: One of the cafes I’ve been waiting for is at the south side, sporting a Synesso Hydra, the first Synesso in a café setting in Hong Kong. I have a very high hope on this café as I am a fan of Synesso and can only hope they pick the right blend, not too wild/exotic/showy for the sake of ego of its roaster. Synesso is an excellent machine; it will reveal nuances in coffee easily. Just don’t ruin it with super duper high detail that delivered ‘violence’ in the mouth than just a nice good detail coffee. Soon, we’ll know.  The expected date is, at this point in time, the first half of December 2011...  Also, more interesting/new concept cafes are expected to open its door next years.  Will update as I have more info.  

Competition: From my point of view, the competition in Hong Kong's cafe scene seems to pick up considerably and I even feel its negative effect on a customer like myself.  In the old days, once a café opens, other cafes will help tout/promote each other and create a good synergy to the industry as a whole, ie increasing the size of the pie. I know this kind of cheerful/nice guy practice will end one day but I didn’t expect it to come this fast. In a consumer eye, each café has its pluses and minuses. Also, economic hardship is right around the corner… :(
showing page 3 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Australasia > Places for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.27854514122)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+