Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Australia, New Zealand and Asia
Update on HK Coffee Scene
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Australasia > Update on HK...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
anthonyivey

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Wega, Synesso, Slayer
Grinder: Mazzer
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Sensory Lab, Market Lane, 5...
Posted Sun Dec 7, 2008, 11:47pm
Subject: Update on HK Coffee Scene

Arriving in HK a few months ago, I used this forum as a guide for where to find decent coffee. There were 3 cafes mentioned prominently in posts (from memory):

Crema Coffee
Cafe Zambra
1st Cup Coffee

Crema is good, if a little hard to find. From memory, I think you're best getting off at East Tsim Sha Tsui station and making your way to Mody Square from Mody Road. Mody Square is a kind of T-shaped road. Make your way to the top right corner of the T and you will find Crema in a walkway between Mody Square and Centenial Garden. Ristretto was slightly longer than I am used to, but not bad. Milk based coffees were great.

Cafe Zambra is in Wan Chai. 239 Jaffe Road. Shots were more to my liking. Milk based coffees were also good. Cafe Zambra was my choice for coffee bean purchases.

1st Cup Coffee - I spent an hour or more over 2 visits trying to find this place. I have since found out it no longer exists. It might have moved - I have no idea.

I received an email a month or two ago about a place called Cafe Corridor. I ignored it, but was flicking through a HK magazine and saw it mentioned again. I was in the area, so gave it a go. Cool little space, on Russell St (26A Russell St), directly opposite Times Square. Very convenient location! Small space - feels like a Melbourne cafe. I was a bit hesitant at first as the coffee machine looked a little underused... I ordered a ristretto and was very happy. I went back the following week and had a double ristretto and a strong flat white - shot was great again, but milk was a bit dodgy on the flat white. I have since seen them serving flat whites to other customers and they look to have the milk spot on (visually), so maybe mine was just a once off. I bought some beans and took them back to Macau. A little too fresh, perhaps, at first but after a few days I was making great coffee (plunger) from their beans. I have since been back 3 times and have not been disappointed - a great sign for the HK coffee scene!

Anyone else have any tips for HK? Any news on the coffee scene?

Cheers,

Anthony
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Epic76

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: LaScala L1 Butterfly
Grinder: Macap MC4 Stepless & a...
Vac Pot: Eva Solo (not vac)
Drip: Braun hand-me-down
Roaster: Hottop P
Posted Tue Dec 9, 2008, 12:14am
Subject: Re: Update on HK Coffee Scene

Hi Anthony,
                 There's another for you to try now.  Fuel Espresso in IFC; up the escalators, two floors above Macca's.  The right staff, right equipment & right attitude.  Beans are roasted in NZ and sent up to HKG though :(  

Only had a Macchiato's and Flat Whites so far but all ok to great standard.  Sandwiches are expensive but brilliant (Kiwi/Aussie style).

Looking forward to trying Cafe Corridor.

Brgds,

Casey

**edited 10DEC08**
anthonyivey

Posted Tue Dec 9, 2008, 2:14am

Thanks mate. Fuel had slipped my mind when I wrote that post. Unfortunately my expeience at Fuel was not like yours.

Cool looking cafe in a prime position. Good machinery. I won't go into too much detail, but I was very disappointed with the coffee and customer service. Hopefully it was just a once off. I didn't intend to go back but if you rate them so highly, I will give it another go if I am nearby.
Chang94598

Posted Sun Dec 21, 2008, 8:50pm

Recently went to HK for a two-week vacation.

In addition to the Wan Chai main store, Zambra has a stand inside a supermarket called "city'super" at Harbor City Shopping Center, level 3, in Tsim Sha Tsui, near the ferry and Tsim Sha Tsui MTR station. The barista was using LM machine and Mazzer Mini E. It was a pleasant surprise, considering it is also inside a supermarket.

Chang94598: Zombra.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
Chang94598

Posted Sun Dec 21, 2008, 9:08pm

We also had a most unique experience in buying coffee from Landy's at http://www.hkcoffee.com/

Because we were leaving HK soon, the roaster roasted 200g of her Dark Chocolate blend and met me at the MTR station. All within 45 minutes! She told me she roasts in a Taiwanese gas drum roaster, mini500.

I tried the blend in espresso daily from day 4 post roast. Today on day 9 the flavor peaked.

Both Landy's and Zambra are excellent coffee from HK; subjectively on par with Intelligensia, Barefoot, and Four Barrel.

Chang94598: HKCoffee.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Chang94598

Posted Sun Dec 21, 2008, 9:11pm

More picture of Landy's Dark Chocolate blend:

Chang94598: HKCoffee2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
anthonyivey

Posted Sat Feb 7, 2009, 8:30am

Casey,

Have you tried out Cafe Corridor yet?

Coffees are getting much better - by far the best I've had in HK.
Epic76

Espresso: LaScala L1 Butterfly
Grinder: Macap MC4 Stepless & a...
Vac Pot: Eva Solo (not vac)
Drip: Braun hand-me-down
Roaster: Hottop P
Posted Sun Feb 8, 2009, 6:43pm

G'day Ant,
               I'm afraid I haven't.  But that kinda review is enough to get me off my arse!  Will let you know when I have.

Are you still Macau based?  Any options there?  I'm planning a day trip to catch up with a mate and it'd be nice to be able to have a good coffee.  :)

Casey
santunoo

Grinder: Anfim Milano and Hario Mini...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2
Drip: Nel-Drip
Posted Mon Aug 3, 2009, 5:57pm

Hi All,

Am about to leave HK after being here for quite a while. Just wanted to provide a brief list of places, in order of personal preference, for great places to go for coffee and coffee related supplies:

Coco Espresso
G/F, 197 Queen's Road, Central, Hong Kong
tel: 2542 2228
Mon-Fri 8am to 5pm
Sat: 8am to 4pm
Sun: closed
The barista, Johnson Ko, is a wonderfully nice guy who loves talking about coffee with his customers.
http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/jw!BkvQEIKYHx8QTw_nciJArzWJ

cafe corridor
G/F, 26A Russell Street,
Causeway Bay, Hong Kong.
12-11pm
http://www.cafecorridor.com/
http://www.coffeeassembly.com/
The owner of both these places, Felix Wong, is also a great guy who was really patient as I talked his ear off about all things coffee. Coffee Assembly provides evening coffee workshops.

Both Johnson and Felix are considered to be the better baristas in HK by the local coffee enthusiasts.

Cafe Zambra
239 Jaffe Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
7.30am-10pm

Cafe Crema
G36 Peninsula Centre, 67 Mody Road
kowloon
Mon - Sat:
7:30 am - 10:00 pm

I haven't been here yet, but I was told that Colour Brown Coffee shop is also very good: http://www.colourbrowncoffee.com.hk/

For beans and any kind of brewing apparatus you can think of, go to Landy Coffee:
RM 802, 8/F, WORKINGBERG COMM BULDG, 41-47 MARBLE RD, NORTH POINT, HK
Tel.: (852) 8209 2898
http://www.hkcoffee.com/
http://freshcoffeentea.no-ip.info/contact.html

It is a small place, but the owners, Ms. Landy and her partner, Mr. Sing, are SERIOUS about coffee and will provide free demonstrations on how to use anything related to brewing coffee.  They are known in coffee circles as " The Maestros". They helped me so much with my Hario V60 brewing technique that I also began calling them "si-fu" (Chinese for maestro). They are also masters at roasting beans. A good place to hang out to meet other local HK coffee lovers.

Another good alternative to Landy Coffee is:
Kitamura Coffee Company Limited
2/F, No.4 Shing Ping Street, Happy Valley, Hong Kong.
http://www.kitamuracoffee.com/index.htm

You can also pick up this new book "My Coffee Guide" (http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/mc-hall) available in most bookstores. The author, TV celebrity Moses Chan, traveled around HK writing about the best coffee shops.
TravelBuddy

Posted Wed Feb 10, 2010, 10:17pm

Hey all,

I just spent a couple of days checking out as many of the places mentioned as possible. Thanks for all the tips; I drank enough coffee to almost see me through the next few weeks in the coffee desert that is Shanghai.

Anyway, one problem I had was not knowing where any of the cafes were; the addresses alone didn't help, as I don't (or didn't) know my Sheung Wan from my Central.

So I've started a Google Map marking the best spots, and posted it to the Chinatravel.net forum here: Click Here (www.chinatravel.net) Hope it's helpful.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Australasia > Update on HK...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.229223012924)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+