Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Australia, New Zealand and Asia
Roasting in a residential area
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Australasia > Roasting in a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
oomph
oomph

Espresso: LM's.Slayer, Synesso
Grinder: Mazzers conical only.
Roaster: Joper.
Posted Tue Nov 13, 2007, 3:10am
Subject: Re: Roasting in a residential area

hey fenners,

good luck on your new venture.. I see you are from Echuca, great spot.

there has been a few reactions to your post and I suggest you contact us privately should you like to know more.

we have had much experience roasting in difficult situations and would be happy to talk further.

our email is coffee@oomphcoffee.com

cheers,

Nikki
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
caffeinediva
caffeinediva
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Wega Mini Nova EVD
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Electronic
Roaster: Brambati 120Kg
Posted Sun Nov 18, 2007, 9:59pm

In reply to the comment made by Nettuno on this subject

MOST COMMERCIAL ROASTERS DID NOT START OFF IN A BACKYARD SHED

Thanks for reading
jasonscheltus
jasonscheltus

Posted Mon Nov 19, 2007, 6:32pm

caffeinediva:
You made me laugh for a long time, thanks.

but, say you did want to become a commercial roaster... what seems to be the most common or successful route? Cafe, smaller roaster, big roaster? Or, financial backer, roaster, cafe, big roaster? What do you think?

-jason
MarcS

Posted Mon Nov 19, 2007, 6:46pm

caffeinediva Said:

MOST COMMERCIAL ROASTERS DID NOT START OFF IN A BACKYARD SHED

Posted November 18, 2007 link

And who says they can't? Gotta start somewhere! I know I've started this way. While not a big commercial, I'm working towards it. Sometimes, the most successful people are the ones who do things outside the box.
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2007, 6:50pm

MarcS Said:

And who says they can't? Gotta start somewhere! I know I've started this way. While not a big commercial, I'm working towards it. Sometimes, the most successful people are the ones who do things outside the box. Sometimes, the most successful people are the ones who do things outside the box.

Posted November 19, 2007 link

& starting/working with a shoestring budget too!

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
brentling
brentling
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: wega, fiorenzato
Grinder: Growing collection of...
Drip: yes people call me that...
Roaster: collection building...
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2007, 6:50pm

I guess it depends quite on your definition of backyard :)

CraigA Said:

I dream of a shoestring budget
caffeinediva
caffeinediva

Posted Mon Nov 19, 2007, 7:28pm

CraigA Said:

I agree everyone has to start somewhere, but please before making a quote I would hope people would do their research and really find out how a commercial roaster started and what blood sweat and tears go into the first few years of getting established.  

I am forming the opinion that everyone thinks they can just be a roaster, set up any kind of operation and off they go.  

A word of advice, anyboady can roast, even I can do that, but the real art is the blending and being able to cup and taste  And yes there is a leaning towards single oprigin coffee's today, but a true Italian style espresso needs to be a BLEND, and that not everyone can do.

So keep up the enthusiasm and if anyone wants some info or an opinion on commercial roasting please feel free to drop me an email

Caffeine Diva
Nettuno
Nettuno
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Faema, la san marco, etc
Grinder: mazzer,etc
Roaster: drum
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2007, 8:40pm

Within my involvement with coffee roasters and coffee in general
I have seen a fair few start ups and listened to stories of start ups from those that have played a part of what people call speciality coffee in New Zealand and Australia; I can say there have been a few sheds involved. The one I liked the most was a little coffee shop that my grandmother use to visit in takapuna that is now a monster roaster consuming speciality coffee roasters for more market share, the start up owners are long gone but the name remains the same.
If you wonder why I have a lot of respect for fire this is a couple of experiences
First roast
Not to sure about roasting but have spent a fair bit of time with roasters and  roasting process, machine not really running right very slow mechanically good ,drum gate moves back and forward .now getting ready light the machine up thing hits 130 that’s as hot as it gets ok  time for a roast, after a while it all starts to move along nice and quite slow ok 1st   now she’s smoking nice sea side town good breeze not to many people around ,2nd out you go, where’s all that smoke coming from?thats right don’t forget to close the drum gate when checking that the drum moves back and forward, a couple of wet tee towels and the bean fire is out! now that did get the blood pumping.
New bearings
Helping a friend set up a small vintage 3.5kg shop roaster 1940s English new bearings and belts on machine .burner on drum shaft coffee is tossed around flame .
Friend’s grandfather set up gas and gas lines new o rings etc
Machine works vintage motors and belts all do as they should ok light it up
Bit of a problem to light hindsight says over gassing, ok where is the paper?
Lights newspaper holds to burner var boom nice big fire ball and very spooked roaster
With no eyebrows .
Joshua      
lots of research on this topic over a fair few coffees in many different roasting plants and sheds .
 View Profile Link to this post
Luca
Luca

Espresso: H: Maver W: FB-80
Grinder: H: Super Jolly W: Brasilia...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2
Roaster: Sample Roaster at Work
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2007, 2:09am

I have met a fair few commercial roasters now, and I think that we probably have people who started in three main ways:

1) Training with the big boys and then spun off to do their own thing.  Surprising how many people who run great roasteries now started off at places that ... well ... you wouldn't really buy any coffee from.

2) Getting a good grounding in business, building up their palates, possibly whilst running a cafe, then deciding to make the big leap into roasting.  These dudes make a plan and save up.

3) People who just shove a roaster in their shed.

In general, I think that it's not unfair to say that category one and two roasters are more likely to produce a great roast than category three.  Which is not to say that there aren't great category three roasters - several certainly did well at golden bean recently.  On the other hand, opportunists really do irritate me.  True opportunists take advantage of what all any other purveyor of crap coffee does - the fact that for many customers an assertion that your coffee is good is the same thing as it actually being good.  I find this absolutely reprehensible as a consumer because I think that this attitude is at least partly responsible for the fact that I don't feel that I can read anyone's blend description and actually have a good idea of what it is going to taste like.  Who is going to write something realistic when that means risking losing sales to the scumbag down the street who is selling floor sweepings with a description oozing buzzwords?

To me, the big difference between the roasters in these different categories is how they have developed their coffee knowledge, including their palates.  Those in the first category will often had the benefit not only of tasting a lot of different coffee, but of tasting blends across a whole cycle of changing crops.  Those in the second category will have at the very least developed a good palate - they might not have a gut reaction in advance that a particular crop is a hot pick, but they know a good sample when they get it.  Those in the third category might well be in the same boat.  But they are the ones with the least invested in the idea of starting a commercial roastery and, consequently, from the consumer's perspective, they are the most likely to be opportunistic - either intentionally, or because they simply don't realise what they are buying, roasting and blending.  And with the Internet, everything is even less transparent than in the real world.  I have nothing but respect for people who home-roast well and nothing but support to people who home roast badly and are making an effort to learn, but I would feel duped if I bought beans that someone had bought on someone else's recommendation and roasted with a heat gun.

Meanwhile, I think that the established roasters need to take note of the new generation of micro-roasters.  Some of them are doing truly fantastic work.  But from the consumer's point of view, it's impossible to tell without tasting the coffee.  I would love to see the ACCC start cracking down on unrealistic blend descriptions as "misleading and deceptive conduct" under the trade practices act.

So to any prospective roasters out there, get tasting!

Cheers,

Luca

General ramblings about coffee: http://www.pourquality.blogspot.com/

Reviews of Australian coffee: http://www.coffeereviewaustralia.com/
caffeinediva
caffeinediva

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2007, 4:15am

jasonscheltus Said:

caffeinediva:
You made me laugh for a long time, thanks.

but, say you did want to become a commercial roaster... what seems to be the most common or successful route? Cafe, smaller roaster, big roaster? Or, financial backer, roaster, cafe, big roaster? What do you think?

-jason

jason

Luca pretty much sums it up in his comment, my father started roasting in Victoria for a now very large sydney based roaster and then branched out on his own in 1970 not in a shed either.  

As it has been said on here we all need to start somehwere and rightly so, but I would hope that the coffee world will keep the art true and not ride on internet knowledge instead of actually learning the craft before calling themself a roaster.

People think I have a big mouth and am opinionated and should probably keep my opinions to myself, unfortunately being an italian woman I cannot

Eleonora
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Australasia > Roasting in a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.325025081635)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+