Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Australia, New Zealand and Asia
My COFFEE
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Australasia > My COFFEE  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 11 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
pstam
pstam
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Mon Jan 23, 2006, 1:18am
Subject: Re: My COFFEE

hbuchtel Said:

Also, do you like espresso yourself?

Posted January 22, 2006 link

Good question!

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
pstam
pstam

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2006, 1:45am

SL28ave Said:

Pstam,
You haven't tasted an espresso pulled by Zhang. And even if you had, your opinion is only that of one person, being one little truth. Do you have the ability to inspire other Chinese coffeegeeks to talk about these espressos? Do you even want to hear voices other than your own? Do you state facts by shooting down everything but the fact? Because I barely see the relevance to Zhang's original post.

What percentage of Chinese coffee shops pull espressos that look well extracted, as Zhang's AT LEAST looks like it may be well extracted? I'm very curious to hear.

Zhang, keep this up. Aim for perfection, as Pstam seems to unerringly do. But keep that humility, because we're students of a young industry and it works better for all of us.

I hope to see more Chinese geeks posting. Until then, sorry for this "white noise" (what a joke). :)

All right.

How many coffee shops in China have I visited, and tasted?

Probably you cannot imagine, I am in the centre of the Chinese coffee industy, and know all so-called important people in the coffee industry in China.  If anything interesting, I would be informed, also by many of my students.  Anything special?  I surely can know.

About Zhang, he was trained by the people who were trained by a young guy whom I know five years ago.  This is what I know and also, for sure, how they train them.

If you judge the quality of the espresso and the freshness of the beans by its crema, I have two questions for it.

One, they have the beans roasted in the States, and how you see its freshness?

Two, If you cannot make the espresso with rich crema from the stale beans, it must not mean that it cannot be done.

Let me tell you a trueth.  We made our so good business, as described in other threads, with the beans aged much longer than you can imagine.  Why? The espresso is simply good.

Why do I tell you this?  Because we have the beans very fresh now, it is only one month or more aged.  Can you see something different from other's opinion?  That is my opinion.  So, I would not talk too much about ours opinion.

OK, I do not think I need explain anything about it.  It is not a secret, but nobody want to know it.  That is OK, not bad for me anyway.

Peter in Beijing

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
-------------------
AndyL
AndyL
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: 2 Synesso,1957 urania lever
Grinder: 2 Robur E, Robur, K10
Vac Pot: Hario
Roaster: 5kg Renegade
Posted Mon Jan 23, 2006, 3:12am

ZHANG Said:

I think my coffee is not perfect,so I should learn more.
Do you think so?
Well,maybe somebody wants say something about my coffee,Please

The quote here was a person asking for help. Jon made a nice comment which i agree with. Pstam comments like that dont help anyone, but his  own ego. Its not needed. Its rude and arrogant.
I dont care about how many coffees you have had in China. The gentleman was asking for help. Not a smart ass comment.
I guess your mother hasnt taught you any manners.
There is cultural difference here that many might not understand. I am of a chinese background and understand what is being said here.
One thing i know is, when you have an attitude thinking you know it all, you will never learn.
 View Profile Link to this post
dantheristrettoman
dantheristrettoman
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Giotto Premium
Grinder: Mazzer mini
Posted Mon Jan 23, 2006, 3:54pm

Hey Zhang, one thing about the shot is it appears to be blonding fairly early? That could just be the light from the flash. How many grams are you dosing and roughly how long are your shots? It looks like a nice flow.
PioneerRoaster
PioneerRoaster
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Roaster: Diedrich IR12
Posted Mon Jan 23, 2006, 4:21pm

pstam Said:

We made our so good business, as described in other threads, with the beans aged much longer than you can imagine.  Why? The espresso is simply good.

Posted January 23, 2006 link

Enough said...

pstam Said:

...we have the beans very fresh now, it is only one month or more aged...

I think you may need to redefine your understanding of fresh!!! More than 2 weeks old and I personally wouldn't touch it!

I'm not addicted, I just really, really, really like it!!!
www.coffeeroastery.com.au
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
pstam
pstam

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2006, 7:35pm

AndyL Said:

The quote here was a person asking for help. Jon made a nice comment which i agree with. Pstam comments like that dont help anyone, but his  own ego. Its not needed. Its rude and arrogant.

What kind of help he want, and what kind of help you offer to him?  Where are they?

AndyL Said:

I dont care about how many coffees you have had in China. The gentleman was asking for help. Not a smart ass comment.

You are not thinking and analyzing the matters, but show your gentle to others.  Here is not for that.  We are researching into the deep and deep of the matters.  When I say somehting, you can tell where was wrong and why, but not to say NO only.  We have to know your reason and evidence.

AndyL Said:

I guess your mother hasnt taught you any manners.

There is cultural difference here that many might not understand. I am of a chinese background and understand what is being said here.

If you are a Chinese, I can understand what you said, and you know what I have to say to you.

AndyL Said:

One thing i know is, when you have an attitude thinking you know it all, you will never learn.

How do you explain why I know what you are talking about, but you do not know mine?  I know, I tried, and so I know the result.  Why I do not want to try everything?  I can guess the result, and almost never out of my idea.  Like this time in HOng Kong and Shenzhen.

Well, if no discussion is needed, we do not do it.

Peter in Beijing

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
-------------------
pstam
pstam

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2006, 7:39pm

PioneerRoaster Said:

I think you may need to redefine your understanding of fresh!!! More than 2 weeks old and I personally wouldn't touch it!

It seems that you have not know the difference of our understanding.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
-------------------
AndyL
AndyL
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: 2 Synesso,1957 urania lever
Grinder: 2 Robur E, Robur, K10
Vac Pot: Hario
Roaster: 5kg Renegade
Posted Mon Jan 23, 2006, 7:59pm

Pstam, you do terrible job in representing yourself and your cafe.

Lucky for you, there is over a billion people in China.
Rawman
Rawman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: 2002 Cremina, Elektra MKAL,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Silex Vintage Vac Pot
Drip: Bodum chambord FP, Melitta...
Roaster: HotTop, Buzzroaster,  HG/DB
Posted Mon Jan 23, 2006, 9:34pm

I would like to thank ZHANG for coming here and showing us all that it's possible to overcome the Chinese-English language barrier and still behave oneself and come across as an intelligent person with something worthwhile to add to a conversation.   It seems that every post I read from Pstam is putting down someone, or trying to show how much better he is.  I have read many of Pstams posts over the years and he rarely has anything of value to add to any thread.  First I ever knew of the guy he put down something I had posted a picture of.  (Although it may not have been the best looking drink in the world), his wording was extremely rude and I felt it was a personal attack.  Many of his posts seem to be personal attacks and I wonder why he hasn't been issued strikes yet.  I could go back and pick the things about Pstam's posts that I find incorrect but it's basically a waste of time.  

I can say this about Pstam's coffee (or at least his cafe)  If I were in China for the rest of my life and there was only one place to get coffee and it was Kaffa Cafe I would drink tea.

Rawman the Expobarbarian..
AKA the Original Jon R.
PioneerRoaster
PioneerRoaster
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Roaster: Diedrich IR12
Posted Mon Jan 23, 2006, 10:07pm

pstam Said:

It seems that you have not know the difference of our understanding.

Or is it possible that some differences actually work , or somebody else might actually know more than you by keeping an open mind and continuing to learn while you hide in your kaffa philosophy?

Let me ask you a question Peter. If you know everything, than what are you doing on here? If it is just to put others down than that is certainly not welcome.

If you believe you know so much than may I please ask you a few questions?

1) At what point did you realise that anyone doing anything differently to your way was wrong. You mentioned people you trained 5 years ago, does this mean that you knew everything then, and if so, do you claim that nothing has been learned in the past 5 years in regards to making espresso?

2) What qualifications give you the right to critisize others thoughts and ideas? There are many people here who run succesful cafes, and many roasters who dedicate their lifes to learning about espresso and coffee in general. You have made comments about arabica being thin and sour, personally that comment is laughable and I suggest you try other peoples coffee more.

3) Is it at all possible that you have been completely blinded by what you do? Do you believe so blindly that what you do is the best, that if somebody was doing something equally as well or better you would miss it? That would be a shame!!! Think of all the great coffees you are missing out on.

Thank you for your time to respond.

P.S. One day in the not to distant future I will be setting up a shop in China (not sure of exact location) I would love for you to come and try my 100% Arabica, full bodied blend made by myself in a manner that would probably make you choke. And then taste the most beautiful espresso you have ever had in your life.

Until that day....
Jason

I'm not addicted, I just really, really, really like it!!!
www.coffeeroastery.com.au
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 11 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Australasia > My COFFEE  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.416162014008)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+