Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Looking for Good Syrups and recipes - Are the Monin Syrups good?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Looking for Good...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
bradinvancouver
bradinvancouver
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM GB5
Grinder: E-Robur
Drip: Clover/Fetco
Roaster: Gothot from afar
Posted Tue Dec 7, 2004, 4:14pm
Subject: Re: Looking for Good Syrups and recipes - Are the Monin Syrups good?

Hi Mark,

I talked to Oughtred on your behalf - they have no problem shipping to you directly as long as you pay for shipping up front. Call them at 604  946 0935 and ask for Laura (she'll probably answer directly). Let her know that you're the coffeegeek guy that Brad from Wicked Cafe was talking about. She'll hook you up. Oh, and they take credit cards no problem - hello air miles! If you have any problems, let me know. And next time you're in Vancouver, drop by the cafe and say hi (and perhaps a Black Cat espresso...).

Brad
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Robyn

Posted Wed Apr 6, 2005, 6:38am

The Monin syrups are the best.   I should know.   We import them in
Australia.   We were offerred Da Vinci, Torani, Amanti and even
Routin, etc., but once
we tried Monin, we knew that was the quality product we would go
for.  Their motto is correct "The passion for quality"
It may cost more, but quality surpasses quantitiy.  The old saying
"You get what you pay for"
www.monin.com.au
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
IDrinkCoffeeDoYou

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Apr 6, 2005, 7:30pm

Hamm,

I like Splenda, myself.  I much prefer its taste to aspartame.  I don't have saccharin often enough to notice anything wrong with it.  As to safety, as I recall, the studies on saccharin showed that it caused cancer in laboratory rats when they were given absolutely enormous doses, though, so just don't eat significant portions of your body weight worth of saccharin per day and you'll probably be fine.  I also remember that there was some very weak evidence that aspartame might cause brain cancer, but it was pretty pathetically weak although I don't remember the details.  As to Splenda,  I'm sure someone will find something awful to say about it, which may or may not be valid, but it's so new that no one has had a chance yet.

I guess the first place that I would look if I wanted to know whether there was any theoretical evidence as to the potential safety of Splenda would be to do a literature search on brominated vegetable oils (which are frequently in orange soda, I've noticed, although I don't know why).  Splenda is chlorinated, a process chemically similar to bromination, so if there are any health problems with brominated oils, it might be something to look out for with Splenda.  That said, I like Splenda and will continue to use it until there's something solid out there against it.

--Doug
 View Profile Link to this post
ChicagoSandy
ChicagoSandy

Espresso: Quickmill "La Cora,"  Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Rocky DL
Vac Pot: Presses, Aeropress
Drip: postnasal, Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, I-Roast2, SC/TO
Posted Fri Apr 8, 2005, 2:28pm

The saccharine-cancer leak turned out to be true only in MALE lab rats, at massive doses.  As to aspartame, despite all the natural foodies screaming about how it's "poison," it's dangerous ONLY to those with PKU--and since that disease is tested for at birth, phenylketonurics already know what they must avoid. Anyone can be overly sensitive to anything--even (and especially) sugar. But the one reason I'd be leery of using aspartame-sweetened syrups in coffee drinks is that when heated, aspartame breaks down into phenylalanine and aspartic acid.....and tastes AWFUL as a result (loses its sweetness). If you've ever drunk a diet soda past its pull date you'll know what I mean.  Aspartame-sweetened syrups are OK for iced drinks and Italian sodas, though.  As for Splenda, I find stuff sweetened with it tastes kind of flabby and one-dimensional--I taste the sweetness itself far more than I do the underlying flavoring, especially with fruit flavors that are supposed to have a little tartness.  I seem to have lost my taste for sweetened hot coffee drinks anyway--the sweetness gets in the way of the espresso taste and the richness of the steamed milk.  That being said, I did pick up some amazing vanilla extract in Mexico; I may make a heavy-cream iced vanilla breve with it and a touch of Equal when the weather gets warmer.

Sandy
www.sandyandina.com
-------------------
Life's too short to drink lousy coffee, play crummy guitars and write with ballpoint pens.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Kaldi

Posted Fri May 24, 2013, 5:33am

We also have a large number of recipes on our facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.150235811689860.25255.101011279945647&type=3

having started out only stocking a few lines of Monin we now keep a lot in stock due to its quality over the competition - Click Here (dancing-goat.co.uk)

Kaldi: Monin dark chocolate sauce.jpg
(Click for larger image)
inopethflames

Posted Tue Jun 4, 2013, 11:30am

anyone know good websites that sell a bigger variety of brands & flavors than whole latte love?  the good thing about wll is $50 gets free shipping, but they only have monin & stirling and i dunno why but dont have all the flavors those companies make so for the stirling theres not a huge choice and then the monin organic i think is probably too expensive for whatever the difference between that & the regular is.  its like $17.95 for organic and stirling is $7.99 for the same amount.  that seems like a big difference for essentially the same thing.  i imagine someone on here will go on about how organic is incredibly better, but it may be slightly better for you but im not sure if you could really taste the difference, or at least i dont think the organic is more than 2x tasting as good than regular, since its 2x more expensive.
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Tue Jun 4, 2013, 3:28pm

inopethflames Said:

anyone know good websites that sell a bigger variety of brands & flavors than whole latte love?

Posted June 4, 2013 link

Amazon. Click here for a search on coffee syrup. Free shipping at $25.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
frcn
frcn

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Jun 5, 2013, 12:21pm

How about using Google and finding recipes to make your own syrups using ingredients found in nature and not in a laboratory? It is bewildering to me why people spend the money on quality beans, a good grinder and an expensive machine to make espresso then pour in artificial ingredients to make it taste like a fast food item.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
EndTwo

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Apscaso uno steel prof
Grinder: Mazzer Major DR + Mahlkönig...
Drip: french press, ceramic v60...
Roaster: skillet
Posted Thu Jun 6, 2013, 1:37pm

frcn Said:

How about using Google and finding recipes to make your own syrups using ingredients found in nature and not in a laboratory? It is bewildering to me why people spend the money on quality beans, a good grinder and an expensive machine to make espresso then pour in artificial ingredients to make it taste like a fast food item.

Posted June 5, 2013 link

+1 - I dont get the whole artificial sweetener thingy. And syrup is quite easy to make... Put stuff in pot, turn on stovetop, wait, occasionaly stir...
Burner0000

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Tue Jun 11, 2013, 8:11am

I am a fan of both Monin and 1883.  There are a million recipies of both sites for beverages. Monin is #1 for me.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Looking for Good...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.303825855255)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+