Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Looking for Good Syrups and recipes - Are the Monin Syrups good?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Looking for Good...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Rock

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Nov 22, 2004, 7:49am
Subject: Looking for Good Syrups and recipes - Are the Monin Syrups good?

Can anyone recommend what are the best Syrups to use, along with some classic recipes.

I see WLL has these Monin Syrups, are they good? and has anyone tried the Low Carb version?

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
SandyHon
SandyHon
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM-Linea;  Nuova Mia
Grinder: LM Swift, Mazzer SJ; LSM
Vac Pot: Who's asking?
Drip: Westbend Quickdrip
Roaster: Alpenrost mostly....
Posted Mon Nov 22, 2004, 1:58pm
Subject: Re: Looking for Good Syrups and recipes - Are the Monin Syrups good?

Yes, Yes and Yes.
Rock

Posted Tue Nov 23, 2004, 6:53pm

Are the Torani sugar free syrups just as good or better?

I can't seem to find the Monin online in Canada, and they will be too expensive after paying shipping charges from the USA. Any good Canadian online retailers for either brand syrup?
Odin
Odin

Espresso: Synesso Cyncra
Grinder: Compak K10 Doserless
Vac Pot: Tokio Siphon
Drip: No!
Roaster: Propane torch and...
Posted Tue Nov 23, 2004, 8:37pm

In my opinion,
Torani is not in the same class as Monin.   Maybe check out Stirling or DaVinci.

John
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
hamm
hamm
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto (1st gen)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: I'm not that kind of guy...
Drip: From the faucet occasionally
Roaster: I buy from several
Posted Sat Nov 27, 2004, 7:53am

I'll have to check out the Monin line.  I use Torani and I love it.  Well, I should say that the Torani Caramel, Hazelnut and Vanilla syrups are fantastic.  I've heard more than once that Monin is better.  Got to find out on my own now.  

The Torani sugar free syrups are made with Splenda, which I think tastes much better than anything with aspartame or saccharin.

Besides, I've heard that Saccharin causes cancer, and aspartame causes migraines and memory loss but I haven't heard anything bad about Splenda.

I can get DaVinci syrups in my local grocery store, but honestly I really don't like tham at all.  Maybe that's because all the local shops seem to use them.  When a syrup in a coffee drink made with good espresso can remind you of a terrible drink, it's difficult to keep a good impression of the ingrediants.

Incidentally, the local shop that I used to frequent switched to Monin.  But their espresso quality tanked big time, their prices went up by 30 cents, and the atmosphere declined.  

But as of late, Torani still has my vote.  I think they're overpriced, but if you buy them by the case they're much cheaper. But I assume any product is that way.

Here's my favorite Torani based recipe:  A slight variation of The Milky Way
In a 12 oz. cup combine the following:
  • Double shot of your best espresso
  • 1 shot of Caramel syrup
  • a dash of Hazelnut syrup
  • 8-10 oz. of chocolate milk, steamed, (or steamed milk mixed with powdered chocolate mix)
  • Top with fresh whipped cream, to taste
  • Sprinkle with a dab of chocolate powder or sprinkles for presentation.  I skip this part typically.

Try this out with some DaVinci or Monin syrups and see which one you like best.  Without using the Monin on my own yet, I still favor the Torani :)

Hamm
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
bradinvancouver
bradinvancouver

Espresso: LM GB5
Grinder: E-Robur
Drip: Clover/Fetco
Roaster: Gothot from afar
Posted Sat Nov 27, 2004, 12:13pm

We use Monin at our cafe and people appreciate the fact that they're all natural. Even the sugar free ones are nice - they use a combination of Splenda and some herbal sweetener to cut the splenda taste. In my opinion, the flavours are easily better than torani and slightly better than DaVinci, albeit a bit more expensive. You can get them through Oughtred (www.oughtred.com) - if you ask nicely, they'll probably be able to ship some to you although they are primarily wholesalers. If you can't get them from Oughtred, drop me a line at 604 319 3065 and we can work something out.

Brad
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
espressobecky
espressobecky
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-3
Drip: French Press, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Nov 28, 2004, 5:43pm

I usually go through quite a bit of vanilla syrup.  I was buying Torani bottles at a local cafe, but it was getting pretty pricey.  I discovered that you can make your own syrup very easily.  The ingredients on any syrup are basically water, sugar and flavouring (plus colors, preservatives, etc.).  You can make a decent vanilla syrup with 10tbsp sugar, 5 oz hot water and 1-2 tsp vanilla flavouring.  If you want to make it of a higher quality, use real vanilla extract rather than the artificial stuff.

Becky

...and on that note, I need a coffee.
PureArabica
PureArabica

Drip: Chemex, Chemex, Chemex
Roaster: GotHots
Posted Mon Nov 29, 2004, 1:43pm

Monin are simply the best...and in the long run cheapest!
They taste better, by far, and we save about 2 dollars per bottle compared to the Torani. Reason being, we use half as much syrup to flavour the drinks.
Nick
cafenjall

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Mon Nov 29, 2004, 2:39pm

http://www.routin.com/default.asp

check this out,  i dont like davinci, monin or torani.

the routin syrups have good and a real flavor. I think that the other types have a synthetic taste.

they have alot of recipes.
NB
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Rock

Posted Tue Nov 30, 2004, 7:51am

bradinvancouver Said:

We use Monin at our cafe and people appreciate the fact that they're all natural. Even the sugar free ones are nice - they use a combination of Splenda and some herbal sweetener to cut the splenda taste. In my opinion, the flavours are easily better than torani and slightly better than DaVinci, albeit a bit more expensive. You can get them through Oughtred (www.oughtred.com) - if you ask nicely, they'll probably be able to ship some to you although they are primarily wholesalers. If you can't get them from Oughtred, drop me a line at 604 319 3065 and we can work something out.

Brad

Posted November 27, 2004 link

Hi Brad,

I may have to take you up on that offer.

I emailed oughtred and I haven't received a response back yet. Although on their order form they mention a minimum purchase of 1 case is required, 12 bottles is way too much for me.

I'm looking for 1 bottle of all of the Sugar Free Flavours, Chocolate, White Chocolate, Caramel, Vanilla, Hazelnut.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Looking for Good...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.28409409523)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+