Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Using Zerowater, Raising TDS
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Using Zerowater,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
barkingburro
barkingburro
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Sun May 25, 2014, 9:29pm
Subject: Re: Using Zerowater, Raising TDS

Answer about buffering: Evian's buffering comes from bicarbonate, I believe. Elete's buffering comes from chloride. There is a very high % of chloride in Elete.

Now, the article I linked-to earlier, which presented a recipe for mineralized "fairy" water, looks like the author got it wrong. First of all, the author assumed--wrongly--that good tasting water was good for coffee. Second, the author's own recipe is over-the-top composed of buffering compounds, including bicarbonates and chlorides, which, according to Maxwell, will guarantee flavor neutralization. Third, the author assumes that TDS is all that matters, which Maxwell pretty well argues against. Ok, to be fair, the author does seem skeptical about what was really going into the water SCAA was using.

This buffering thing is a revelation. I always felt there wasn't much difference between my 30 ppm TDS filtered water and a bottle of Fiji water. Of course, I am using a Trifecta, which means some added pressure is involved. That could have an effect on the outcome. Or not.

To be continued after I try out the Elete solution myself.

- Michael
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun May 25, 2014, 10:01pm

andys Said:

This is one approach, although not particularly cheap:
http://www.globalcustomizedwater.com/the-formula.html

Posted May 22, 2014 link

Hey Andy.
I purchased it, it works, and IMO is not really that expensive when purchased in the little bottles with the syringes.
That said, Costco carries a delicious spring water that measures pretty low according to my KH GH test kit. The kit is MUST to own, IMO.
I then add a great under-sink system I just installed a while back, called 'ThePurestOne." The water is also delicious, but measures 120 with my generic TDS meter. GH is like 112, KH about 80, as memory serves. Combined, the water is a about 7.25 PH and delicious.

I suggest to the OP get a good under-sink for flavor, and blend with RO 50%. If it still tastes flat, add a bit less RO. Don't worry about a softener.

EDIT: the spring water from Costco is Christal Springs, comes 6 One gallon plastic jugs to the box. Fairly priced.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
barkingburro
barkingburro

Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 12:10am

IMAWriter Said:

... I then add a great under-sink system I just installed a while back, called 'ThePurestOne." The water is also delicious, but measures 120 with my generic TDS meter. GH is like 112, KH about 80, as memory serves. Combined, the water is a about 7.25 PH and delicious.

Posted May 25, 2014 link

Rob, that water filter is the most innovative and appealing design I've ever seen for the home. If I had known about it three or four years ago, I would have chosen it rather than the ion exchange filter I ended up buying. I like its simplicity and great cost effectiveness.

- Michael
dewmaster07

Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 6:26am

barkingburro Said:

Well, now I can say that dewmaster07 should not be too eager to find a high TDS bottled mineral water. The problem discussed in the video linked by yakster is the presence of buffering in addition to the hardness solids. The speaker, Maxwell Colonna-Dashwood, says that just about all natural mineral waters will have way too much buffering, which will neutralize all the acids, making the coffee taste flat.

Posted May 25, 2014 link

I too found a few sites which claimed that Alpine Geyser water was too hard for espresso machines and caused a lot of scale.  I must say that in trying this water for the first time yesterday it did create the best cup of espresso out of my machine to date.  It did not taste flat; it was a great needed improvment.
 View Profile Link to this post
dewmaster07

Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 6:30am

barkingburro Said:

Unfortunately, I have a feeling that Elete will prove to be too heavy on the buffering side, as it is way salt-heavy, compared to hardness molecules.

Posted May 25, 2014 link

What about the many mineral additive products available on amazon which are supposed to be added to RO/Distilled water?
barkingburro
barkingburro

Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 6:52am

dewmaster07 Said:

What about the many mineral additive products available on amazon which are supposed to be added to RO/Distilled water?

Posted May 26, 2014 link

The truth of the matter is that the Global Customized Water formula is the only solution that was

a) designed to specifically address coffee flavor

b) vetted (I believe) by tasters at SCAA

I've been trying to get in contact with those guys ever since I saw the link. I don't think they have much interest in selling their formula in small bottles to consumers. I'm trying to see if they have interest in working out a more compact add-on solution for existing purifying systems.

- Michael
barkingburro
barkingburro

Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 7:00am

dewmaster07 Said:

Posted May 26, 2014 link

Andrew, can you provide a few links? The only mineral additive liquids or powders I've seen had ingredients that would interfere with the flavor or muck-up the body of the brew. These were all electrolyte solutions.

- Michael
dewmaster07

Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 9:26am

barkingburro Said:

Andrew, can you provide a few links? The only mineral additive liquids or powders I've seen had ingredients that would interfere with the flavor or muck-up the body of the brew. These were all electrolyte solutions.

Posted May 26, 2014 link

Here are some links:

http://www.alphaomegafood.com/HydroBoost-p/wwhb.htm

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

and a bunch of others

There are so many to choose from.
barkingburro
barkingburro

Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 10:35am

dewmaster07 Said:

Here are some links:

http://www.alphaomegafood.com/HydroBoost-p/wwhb.htm

and a bunch of others

There are so many to choose from.

Posted May 26, 2014 link

The first one has a lot of vegetative matter--and castor oil. Of all of those, I think the Concentrace looks like it has the best blend of magnesium and minimal chloride buffering. It certainly looks better than Elete. But it still doesn't contain any calcium.

- Michael
barkingburro
barkingburro

Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 10:54am

More on over-buffering. Evian has close to a 1-to-3 ratio of flavor-extracting hardness molecules (calcium + magnesium) to flavor-killing buffering molecules (bicarbonate). Concentrace has approx. the same ratio, except it contains chloride as the buffer. Evian is supposed to suck as a water for brewing because of its high buffering content. If chloride is as effective as bicarbonate for buffering acid, then I would expect Concentrace to suck as well. Elete is far worse in this respect.

- Michael
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Using Zerowater,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.375169992447)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+