Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Newbie w/ newb questions
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Newbie w/ newb...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Squish
Squish
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Apr 8, 2014, 10:22am
Subject: Newbie w/ newb questions

Good Morning Everyone,

First off, thanks for contributing to a great resource that has already answered a number of my questions, led me down an interesting path and will no doubt provide lots of discussion, thought, and amazing coffee experiences.

I have been making my way through your site as I research an upgraded espresso grinders and machine, which of course has lead to a few questions for those more experienced than myself.  I currently own a Puegot Bresil hand grinders and a Saeco Via Venezia machine, as well as an Aeropress for backcountry ski trips and travelling.  Like many, I have learned to appreciate a higher quality espresso product over the years and now find my equipment unsatisfactory.

I am currently looking at purchasing either a Rancillo Rocky or Makap espresso grinders (horseless seems appropriate) and a La Pavoni Professional. I have also looked at the Elektra Micro Casa, but have shied away from the slightly higher price tag.  I'm open to other suggestions in terms of equipment, with the criteria that I'm a process guy who enjoys the journey, would like equipment with considerable longevity, and find the lever machines really sexy on the counter.

I chose the Professional over the Europiccola based on occasional and future needs for higher production, the desire for a pressure gauge, and the bigger tank. I am currently looking at the grinders based on recommendations from the sales guy at Espressotec in Richmond, BC, whom I hope to deal with based on selection, service, proximity and price.

So after a little background, here are my questions:

Are there other models of grinders I should be considering?

Are there other models of machines you think I should consider?

Any additional equipment or information you would like to point me towards?

Thanks for your responses, I appreciate all feedback and value personal opinion based on experience and theory. Really I'm just a particular nerd who wants great coffee at a digestible price point, with the beauty and art of the lever being icing on the cake.

Ryan
 View Profile Link to this post
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Tue Apr 8, 2014, 10:49am
Subject: Re: Newbie w/ newb questions

Definitely skip the Rocky (as suggested in many recent threads that mention it).  Its steps are spaced too far apart.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Apr 8, 2014, 10:58am

Hi and welcome to the board.

Rocky has seen better days. When reading, do pay attention to the date of the discussion. Things change fast and more so in the last couple of years so a discussion from 5 years ago, while it can be fun to read, it will have little equipment advice that is valid today.

A budget is very helpful. The Grinder is more important than the machine, really it is. I know everyone likes the machine to be the star but without a good grinder, all you have is a hot water dispenser.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Squish
Squish

Posted Tue Apr 8, 2014, 11:17am

Great, thanks to the above posters for sharing your thoughts.

The Rocky was recommended by the service guy, but seems to be generally thought little of here. Excellent.

I was also looking at the Makap, but am open to other grinders in that price range (roughly $400-500) unless I make a stratospheric jump with a few more bucks spent.

Maybe a better question would have been.....

Best espresso grinders for the La Pav Pro under $500. Am I being too broad to get specific recommendations here? If so please point me in the right direction.

Cheers
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Apr 8, 2014, 12:21pm

it's very hard to give you specific machine advice with such little information on your needs/wants.  There's a sticky on the Espresso Machines forum (though it seems to keep getting "unstuck" lately).  It lists some things you need to consider and asks several questions, the answers which help people here give you more tailored advice.

Regarding the Macap grinder.  I own 2 M4s (dosered).  They also make an MC4 (doserless), and those are perhps closest to the prices you mentioned, but the M2/MC2 is also close to that ballpark cost.  What model are you referring to?  The "4" is a stepless grinder with infinite adjustability, while the "2" is stepped and, thus, has the same limitation as the Rocky. The M4/MC4 is a very good grinder.  It's quiet, easy to adjust, extremely studry build quality, and produces very good results in the cup.  However, depending on whether you're willing to get something used or want brand new only, you may want something even better. btw, I had a Rocky before I got my first M4 and the difference in the cup was dramatic (improved when I upgraded - just to be clear)!  On home-barista, there's a comparison review of 6 of the "Mazzer Mini class" grinders.  It's worth a read for sure, as that's the class you're probably looking at (the M4 is in that class). How do you feel about grinding by hand? Particularly, given you've done this before...if you're not going definitely no way I'm doing that again, then take a look at the OE Pharos too.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Buckley

Posted Tue Apr 8, 2014, 12:35pm

Dear Squish,
Definitely respond to this thread to help us help you:
http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/620441
Then read my (ahem) grinder guide for the Europiccola:
http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/grinders/662122
It seems that you can do better than the more modest of the mentioned collection of grinders.  I would suggest you consider the better Barzatas.
Finally, I tried to lay out the learning curve for the Europiccola in a post this morning:
http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/664731
If you are a process guy, the La Pavoni's ought to be right up your alley; there is a LOT of process there.  But if the only reason you are considering a Pro is the manometer, please be advised that you can buy one reasonably from Orphan Espresso and install it into the top bolt hole of the sight glass housing on the Europiccola 8.
If you use a magnifying glass you can see the pressure gauge on my Europiccola8 in the pix below.  And, yes, the boiler and group are wired with thermocouples and a two-channel readout.
If there are children in the house please do not ignore the fact that these look like shiny toys to them as well as to us and they are HOT.  Children do not scar well because their scars get bigger as they get bigger.

If you liked the Aeropress you might love the Mypressi.  Aeropress=moka::Mypressi=true espresso.

Buckley

Buckley: Lab#2A.JPG
(Click for larger image)
Squish
Squish

Posted Fri Apr 11, 2014, 8:05pm

Thanks emradguy and Buckley,

Those are great responses that are helping me figure out what I want/need, and narrow the choices.  I especially appreciate the La Pavoni specific info, this will help a lot.

I'm going to do some more reading, take a look at some different grinders and see where that gets me. I'm eager to get rid of my current setup, but time spent researching mow will hopefully pay off over the long run.

Cheers!
Dave_E

Espresso: Rocket Cellini
Grinder: Compak k3
Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014, 7:27am

I would look at the Compak K3 touch.  There is a review on this site somewhere comparing it to the Mazzer Mini - one is here http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/grinders/652347 there are others where there is a direct head to head.   I have it and I can say it works great - though not having tried at home an SJ or Mahlkonig anything so in that respect it is hard to compare.  If you check out z-cafe in Kelowna, they have a bunch open box.  Brand new, but marked down about $100.  They were also good to deal with when my hopper came clearly used.  Gave me 10% back and replaced the hopper for free.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Newbie w/ newb...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.251357078552)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+