Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
How much time for a Single Shot (7 grams) extraction?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > How much time...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
nkbsbl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Elektra Semiautomatica SX
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Mon Mar 17, 2014, 1:55pm
Subject: How much time for a Single Shot (7 grams) extraction?

I purchased a single shot basket (and single spout portafilter (Elektra)) for my wife, as double shots are too much caffeine for her. The single shot basket holds max 7 grams. For my double shot portafilter I generally fill with ~14 grams, extract in 25-30 seconds, yielding ~2 oz shot. What should I be aiming for with the single shot in terms of extraction time. I know it should yield ~ 1 oz -> should extraction time also be 25-30 seconds, or should it be less? Thanks so much for your help!
 View Profile Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Mon Mar 17, 2014, 4:41pm
Subject: Re: How much time for a Single Shot (7 grams) extraction?

About the same time... maybe a little less.  Call 22sec - 27sec ideal for a single.  

That said, let's look at one of the more important rules of Espresso 101:
Rather than looking for a specific volume in a given time range, you'd be better off looking for a specific "blonde point" in that given time range.  

Then you can compute your brew ratio by dividing the weight of the completed shot by the weight of the dose.  Weight and color tell you much more about the shot than volume.  That's because the shot's density varies according to the amount aeration and crema

What's the blonde point?
As the coffee extracts, the stream gets progressively lighter going from brown to tiger-striped brown and tan; to lighter tan (aka "blonde"); to translucent lighter still tan; and so on.  A ristretto is tiger-striped, a normale is just at border of tiger-striping and blonde, while a lungo is well and truly blonde, bordering on translucent.

Counter intuitively, a ristretto -- even though it's a shorter (less weight) pull, should take a  more time to extract than a normale, and a normale should a little more time than a lungo.  That's because a more concentrated extraction benefits from a slower flow rate.  

At the end of the day, taste wins.  Time, weight, dose and grind are not the goal -- just the things you manipulate to reach it.  

Hope this helps,
Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Mar 18, 2014, 6:34am

There is a myth that espresso has MORE caffeine than regular coffee and that is not true. The extraction of caffeine from the ground coffee is a function of TIME more than anything else. A double shot has LESS caffeine than an 8 oz cup of drip coffee.

Like BDL said, the time will be slightly more but not less than a double. Honestly, singles are a whole different animal and the grinder needs to be adjusted for them differently than for a double. Why not do what nearly EVERY coffee shop does when a customer orders a single shot, simply serve half of the coffee brewed. It is a PITA for them to make a single and as the spouts split the shot anyway, only use one spout for her, then you get an extra shot for you!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
RobbW
RobbW

Espresso: DeLonghi EC155
Grinder: Hario Skerton with drill
Drip: Hario V60 Pour-over,...
Roaster: Stovetop and Oven
Posted Fri Apr 11, 2014, 11:04am

Many people also mistakenly assume that a darker, bolder roast has a higher caffeine content.  Not true.  A lighter roast has more caffeine because the caffeine gets roasted out of the beans as the roast gets darker!  Want a bigger jolt in your morning brew?  Go for a City roast over a French roast.  Heck, roast your own and dump the beans at a cinnamon roast for super caff!  Woo hoo!  Feel the buzz!
Sashas

Posted Sat Apr 12, 2014, 1:55pm

RobbW Said:

Many people also mistakenly assume that a darker, bolder roast has a higher caffeine content.  Not true.  A lighter roast has more caffeine because the caffeine gets roasted out of the beans as the roast gets darker!  Want a bigger jolt in your morning brew?  Go for a City roast over a French roast.  Heck, roast your own and dump the beans at a cinnamon roast for super caff!  Woo hoo!  Feel the buzz!

Posted April 11, 2014 link

It really depends on how you measure the caffeine. The caffeine itself doesn't go anywhere (maybe a bit but barely measurable)
If you measure by weight you actually have more caffeine in dark roast because the water loss is faster than the caffeine loss. If you measure by volume you have less caffeine because the beans expand as they roast.
RobbW
RobbW

Espresso: DeLonghi EC155
Grinder: Hario Skerton with drill
Drip: Hario V60 Pour-over,...
Roaster: Stovetop and Oven
Posted Sat Apr 12, 2014, 8:32pm

Sashas Said:

If you measure by weight you actually have more caffeine in dark roast because the water loss is faster than the caffeine loss.

Posted April 12, 2014 link

True to a point.  If you weigh the coffee post-roast, a pound of dark roast could potentially have the same caff content as a pound of light roast.  That's because it takes more dark-roasted beans (by volume) to equal a pound due to the greater weight loss from roasting dark.  However, if you start off with two equal batches of green coffee beans each weighing a pound, you will have a much different story.  Roast one batch to a light roast and the second to a dark roast, and the end result will be much more caff in the light roast batch.  The caff is burned off in the roasting process.  So going dark will burn off more caff.
Frost
Frost
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Sat Apr 12, 2014, 9:39pm

Better double check your information source on that Robb, as Sasha has it right; Light or dark roasts, only a trace amount of caffeine is lost in the roasting while bean volume increases and weight decreases with darker roasts.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > How much time...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.288219928741)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+