Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Poll:  Milk First or Espresso First On Rancilio Silvia?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Poll:  Milk...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
JerDGold

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Breville...
Drip: Chemex
Posted Fri Apr 11, 2014, 7:13am
Subject: Poll:  Milk First or Espresso First On Rancilio Silvia?

SSIA.

I've been steaming milk first and then pulling my shot, as I'm of the opinion that the Espresso is the most important part.  Classically I'm only an espresso drinker, but have recently started making milk drinks.  I read that with milk drinks (especially lattes, less so cappucinos and even less macchiatos) milk is the star and not the espresso.  I find that when steaming milk first and pulling shot second, my milk has seperated by the time I get my machine down to temp and get my shot pulled.  Sometimes I even re-mix my formerly pretty foam back into the seperated steamed milk.  What are everyone else's thoughts?
 View Profile Link to this post
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Apr 11, 2014, 7:17am
Subject: Re: Poll:  Milk First or Espresso First On Rancilio Silvia?

Seems like you answered your own question.

Always espresso first, steam second for me. It takes literally 10 seconds to get to steaming temperature and another 30 seconds tops to steam. you prob spend that much waiting for it to cool before drinking (I don't use a silvia of course).
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Apr 11, 2014, 7:39am

Darned if you do and darned if you don't.

Espresso first... the machine is at a stable temp (PID) and your shots are more consistent, you need to wait to come up to steam, your espresso cools and you loose crema.

Milk first, the milk starts to seperate, the boiler is brought down to below temp with the water filling the boiler, the boiler temp is wacked and the machine is not temp stable when the shot is pulled, even if the PID is at the right "number" The espresso is fresh, the milk stale and the shot could possibly suffer.

That all said, my normal use on vacation with a PID for both brew and steam Sylvia is to pull the shots first when the machine is stable then steam milk. This is a personal preference, there really is not a wright or wrong way, it is what you prefer.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JerDGold

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Breville...
Drip: Chemex
Posted Fri Apr 11, 2014, 8:05am

calblacksmith Said:

Darned if you do and darned if you don't.

Posted April 11, 2014 link

haha, WTB:  Dual Boiler Machine Plz.  Have $50.

Thanks for the responses.  I'll start trying it both ways, see what I like.  More to follow.
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Fri Apr 11, 2014, 9:22am

brianl Said:

It takes literally 10 seconds to get to steaming temperature and another 30 seconds tops to steam.

Not with a Silivia, both things take considerably longer.

I don't use a silvia of course.

Yep.

It's been awhile for me too.  But it seemed to me that before parting with my SBDU twenty years ago that espresso for latte degraded less in the 90 seconds + it took to bring the machine to steaming temp and steam a latte's worth of milk; than milk degraded in the similar amount of time it took to cool the machine down and temp-surf it back to brew temp.  

Even if you have a machine which allows you to pour milk the second you finish brewing the espresso, a latte isn't going to be much like fresh espresso anyway.  I don't see steaming the milk first as a way of preserving the esresso as making much sense.  On the other hand, a latte is ALL about the milk.    

FWIW, the most cost-effective way to get good steaming performance (two large size lattes in a row in less than 90 seconds) is via HX.  Because it's mostly a matter of boiler size, with few exceptions, prosumer HXs tend to recover faster and therefore be much better steamers than prosumer DBs.

Rich
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Fri Apr 11, 2014, 10:00am

For the 6 years I had a Silvia I ALWAYS pulled first and steamed second. You are about to pour at least 4 ounces of milk into 2 ounces of espresso. If the espresso quality was that important, then just drink the espresso!   ;-)

For most new home users, getting microfoam to last any length of time using the "quality" of milk most consumers drink is quite difficult. What little is lost in an espresso that sits for an extra two minutes or so would be unrecognizable in all that milk.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Fri Apr 11, 2014, 11:20am

brianl Said:

It takes literally 10 seconds to get to steaming temperature

It's literally much more than 10 seconds on a Silvia.  I don't recall how much any more but I recall doing a lot of cleanup during that dead time.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Apr 11, 2014, 11:37am

Like Randy, I used Silvia for about 8 years and I always pulled my shots first, then steamed the milk.  Midway into that, I took my barista training class at Klatch, and Heather recommended doing it that way as well...because the milk is the featured part of the drink.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Poll:  Milk...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.298935890198)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+