Espresso: Questions and Answers
Mazzer mini E type A or mini E type B or Mazzer Major Electronic
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Mazzer mini E...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
app6cxc

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket R58 V2
Posted Sun Apr 6, 2014, 12:13pm
Subject: Mazzer mini E type A or mini E type B or Mazzer Major Electronic

I am going to order Rocket R58 v2 tomorrow and I am looking for a grinder.
Everyone says grinder grinder grinder!!! so I want to get a nice one and never replace it again.
I like Mazzer Major E but it might be too big and overkill???
If I am getting smaller one I am going to get either type A or type B.
What do you like better between type A and type B.
I am going to order my grinder from Seattle Coffee Gear.  Are they a reputable place to buy from?
Too many questions?  Sorry and thank for your info. =)

Thank you
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Apr 6, 2014, 12:22pm
Subject: Re: Mazzer mini E type A or mini E type B or Mazzer Major Electronic

Mazzer Major and Mazzer Mini are in different worlds. In between is the Super Jolly. Is a Major too much...not in my opinion. You just have to decide if you want a good grinder (Mini), a great grinder (SJ), or an awesome grinder (Major).

Of course, there's no reason not to consider other brands.

Have you actually gone through the process of deciding between conical and flat burrs? What's your budget? Are you deadest on getting a programmable grinder?

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
app6cxc

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket R58 V2
Posted Sun Apr 6, 2014, 5:19pm

Thanks for your reply.  My budget is between 900-1500.
If I will go for different brand what do you recommend?
Compak k8 fresh or k10 fresh?  I just want to make sure I buy something which I will be happy for a long time.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Apr 6, 2014, 6:24pm

Jay, I believe I'd be safe in saying noi grinder is perfect. some retain grind, others have their own issues.
First, make sure you spend twice the time and energy researching your grinder than you did your machine. As has been said, the GRINDER is the centerpiece of your home coffee bar.
As was asked, have you researched the differences in taste and function between a conical and flat burr? Do you more of the deeper, more chocolate tones, or do you enjoy a fruiter espresso?

I assume no doser, so speak to your vendor, or perhaps several, tell them what you want and don't want i a grinder in that price range. There are reviews here that are useful as well.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun Apr 6, 2014, 8:23pm

app6cxc Said:

My budget is between 900-1500. If I will go for different brand what do you recommend? Compak k8 fresh or k10 fresh?  I just want to make sure I buy something which I will be happy for a long time.

Posted April 6, 2014 link

The K-10 Fresh is outside your budget.  The internet price is $2000; and I'd be surprised (happy for you though) if you could negotiate a price less than $1800 net.  

It would be helpful if you could talk about your priorities.  You seem to want a doserless, "walk-up," but don't have a great preference about burr geometry.  

Are you sure you want a doserless, electronic, "on demand" grinder?  You can save quite a bit of money on the "dosered" versions of uber-machines which are otherwise the same.  

In your price range, if I wanted a conical and was willing to give up "on demand" convenience, I'd choose the Compak K10 PB (based on experience).  

But if I wanted a walk up, and was willing to "settle" for big, flat burrs, I'd choose Ceado E37s (based on reviews, internet "buzz," my experience with a different Ceado with similar electronics, and WLL's hugely discounted price as they try to establish the brand in the US).  The Compak K-8 Fresh is probably just as good, as is the Mazzer Major E -- but they're each $350 more (internet price) than the Ceado.    

If you're going to shoehorn a cafe size grinder under an overhead cabinet, you'd better make sure there's enough clearance.  Many commercial grinders won't fit -- at least not without a lot of workarounds.  Consequently the field of choices might be limited by that, as well as all sorts of other things.  

Share as much about your situation as you can, and ask a LOT of questions.

Rich
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun Apr 6, 2014, 8:46pm

Engraver
Engraver

Espresso: Breville Barista
Posted Mon Apr 7, 2014, 4:11am

app6cxc Said:

I am going to order Rocket R58 v2 tomorrow and I am looking for a grinder.
Everyone says grinder grinder grinder!!! so I want to get a nice one and never replace it again.
I like Mazzer Major E but it might be too big and overkill???
If I am getting smaller one I am going to get either type A or type B.
What do you like better between type A and type B.
I am going to order my grinder from Seattle Coffee Gear.  Are they a reputable place to buy from?
Too many questions?  Sorry and thank for your info. =)

Thank you

Posted April 6, 2014 link

Looks like you and I are getting similar gear :)  I just ordered the Rocket R58 and also the Rocket Mazzer Mini type A in black.

The grinder will arrive later this week. Not sure when I'll get the R58 as the shipment from Italy just arrived in the US.
yiannis550

Posted Tue Apr 8, 2014, 9:40pm

Hi all,

I am also looking at grinders and Mazzer mini vs competition. This is the first time I hear about conical vs flat burrs. Anywhere I can get pros and cons for each type?
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Apr 9, 2014, 7:52pm

There's a lot written about the difference in mouthfeel and flavor profiles between conical and flat burrs, both here and on home-barista (as well as other places). In short, you can generally expect a more uniform flavor profile with emphasis on earthy, chocolates, caramels tones from flat burrs, while conicals are said to provide a more layered flavor profile bringing out both the lower tones mentioned above and the brighter, fruity and acidic tones. I've yet to test this personally (still a few weeks away from being able to), but I think it's the general consensus among experts.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Mazzer mini E...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.305485963821)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+