Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
What am I doing wrong? Please help!
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > What am I doing...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
Author Messages
BarryR

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Sun Apr 6, 2014, 3:54pm
Subject: Re: What am I doing wrong? Please help!

emradguy Said:

How hard do you press? Me, I go just until I feel the puck is formed, so the glass isn't an issue.

Aero press produces something resembling Moka pot, while Espro press is the ultimate French press.

Posted April 6, 2014 link

1) I press pretty hard.

2) So which one's better for an attempted espresso + syrup-type drink?
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sun Apr 6, 2014, 9:27pm

BarryR Said:

1) I press pretty hard.

2) So which one's better for an attempted espresso + syrup-type drink?

They are both full-immersion coffee makers. That means that the ground coffee sits in a bath of hot water and soaks for a period of time determined by the user. The Aeropress forces water through the coffee under pressure, but uses a paper filter which removes particulates. The coffee is quite good but not espresso. The Espro is like a press pot but the fine screens remove all the sediment but unlike the Aeropress it leaves the oils in the coffee and, IMO, delivers a fuller flavor and more body than the aeropress. Neither are espresso. Espresso is espresso. If you are adding flavors and syrups and other condiments to the coffee, it really doesn't matter much. The benefit of the Espro is larger capacity and vacuum insulated stainless vessel. If both were sitting on a counter, I would grab the Espro every time.

Beyond that, all other thoughts I am having would come across as rude, so....

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Grimsthorpe

Posted Sun Apr 6, 2014, 9:53pm

I am just a newbie here, but in my limited exposure to espresso machines, you can find some really good opportunities on Craigslist. The options seem pretty endless, and daunting, but it is a bit of a process and this forum and the august members are a fount of really amazing information. I have not managed to make an incredible cup of coffee off an inexpensive (single boiler) machine, but many others clearly have. Although, it usually involves tweaking the machine. But, what I can do consistently with an inexpensive ($45) used machine is make a cup of hot espresso well beyond the capabilities of Starbucks and most coffee houses.
So do not give up hope. The grinder, and it really should be a burr grinder, is a tougher go. I can find great used grinders, but you mostly seem to have to be prepared for something in and around $300. It seems backward to pay more for the grinder than the brewing machine, but without a nice precise grind, you really are going to struggle to produce a consistently good coffee.
Anyway, I am new here myself. I hope you find some good information here, I certainly have. Enjoy the journey. One final thought: freshly roasted coffee will produce much nicer much more drinkable coffee. Pre-ground coffee, generally,  will not.
Good luck.
Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Newco-OCS 12
Roaster: HG/BM
Posted Mon Apr 7, 2014, 8:20pm

Grimsthorpe Said:

Anyway, I am new here myself. I hope you find some good information here, I certainly have. Enjoy the journey. One final thought: freshly roasted coffee will produce much nicer much more drinkable coffee. Pre-ground coffee, generally,  will not.
Good luck.

You're on a slippery slope!  Next week you'll be asking about which prosumer double boiler rocket-ship machine with titan grinder you should get.  It's such an addiction :-)
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Apr 8, 2014, 9:56am

Grimsthorpe Said:

...in my limited exposure to espresso machines, you can find some really good opportunities on Craigslist.

yeah, but it's a chore to sift through the innumerable ads selling crappy steam toys and the like.  I think a patient person who has an idea what he/she wants to buy is much better off watching the BST forums on coffee-based sites (like here and H-B).  The main advantage to buying through CL is you can go look at the machine before you actually hand over your money...but it takes a lot more patience.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Buckley

Posted Tue Apr 8, 2014, 1:24pm

ses90 Said:

Yes, I was slightly offended by the responses from Buckley

Dear ses90,
I am glad to see that you are still around.  Please allow me to offer an apology to you for treating your sincere efforts to enrich your enjoyment of coffee in such a callous manner.  It is nice to hear that you were only slightly offended.

ses90 Said:

and yes I honestly had no idea I was so completely clueless.

Well, perhaps some good came out of it.

I was unable to distinguish your stuttering mis-steps from the profile of a scam-perp but that is no excuse for being rude to you.

If it is of any irony to you, I fit the profile of a perpetrator myself, big time.  On one trip I had closely packed my checked luggage, to the extent that I packed my cell phone charger and other small stuff inside my empty metal bullet-thermos.  I was arrested at Logan airport for trying to test the limits of their security surveillance.  It seems that cylindrical metal objects with wires inside are highly suspicious on x-ray.  After searching my carry on very well (but not me, thankfully), they released me with a warning.

So I know how it feels to 'fit the profile' and I am sorry I 'profiled' you.

emradguy Said:

To OP: FWIW, the accusatory posts from Buckley were far from his usual highly respectful posts, where he tends to use many pleasantries...in fact, many more than just about everyone else here. I'm glad to see you don't scare off easy and are still participating.

Me, too.  emrayguy is probably a better virtual friend than I virtually deserve, but I will try to live up to his opinion of me.

Welcome to the world of Coffeegeek.

Buckley

P.S. We don't hug on this web site.
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Tue Apr 8, 2014, 8:29pm

This thread reminds me of a time while I was in college, I was invited to a party and was asked at that party what my favorite beer was.. I answered honestly and said "Corona", given that was really the only beer I had an real experience drinking.   I did genuinely enjoy Corona because it was easy to drink with the lime and salt.   The owner of the house (an older hippy looking guy) went to his kitchen and brought me a few bottles of his beer to try.  Needless to say it was an unforgettable experience.   Had he not done that I probably would have continued filling my poor belly up with watery college swill.    He could have easily laughed and brushed me off as a college punk and just go on his way.   Instead he opened my eyes and introduced me to a world I never new existed.  I will never forget "that old dude at that one awesome party". haha. yeah.. I was a punk.. But today, a full-fledge lover of Belgian ales :)

I hope that Sarah will come away from this forum with a similar experience...with coffee, of course :)

z0mbie: beer_.jpg
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Apr 9, 2014, 7:56pm

That's a cool story! If I had one, I'd raise a Westvleteren 12 to you. I share your hope for Sarah taking a similar experience away from this thread.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > What am I doing...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.352733135223)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+