Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
What am I doing wrong? Please help!
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > What am I doing...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Thu Apr 3, 2014, 4:16pm
Subject: Re: What am I doing wrong? Please help!

TheRealScubaSteve Said:

I have not been on CG for long, but I have seen a handful of people leave because of responses to their "stupid" questions.

Posted April 3, 2014 link

Yes, and it's a shame.

I lurked for quite a while before posting my own newbie questions.

Good thing you stayed, you enrich the conversation.  I hope I do too.

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TheRealScubaSteve
TheRealScubaSteve
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Delonghi EC155
Grinder: Baratza Encore
Posted Thu Apr 3, 2014, 6:03pm

I do what I can - I'm still mostly clueless so my advice is limited! You give a lot of helpful and detailed advice, as do many others here.

There are certainly some cases where people have left after being ridiculed, but I think for the most part people who respond are trying to help, but fail to literally address the question. The thread (don't remember what it was about to link it) that sticks out in my mind was a woman who came asking for advice and left after very rude comments/advice were made. The comments were ill conceived, but had the intent of helping in the way of guiding to a better prep/product/method.

I can also see the other side too - we (newbies) come in seeking advice but do not necessarily like the answers that we get. Price seems to be a huge factor in quality. That said, sometimes it's just easier or more helpful to answer the exact question asked, perhaps with a caveat that more quality or better results can be expected with yada, yada, yada, etc.

It certainly is also frustrating to never hear back about advice given, but I think this is just the product of a forum. Some come looking for one answer. Once they get it, they have no interest in sticking around. I can also say that it can be difficult to find old threads, too. I've never really participated on a forum before so there is also a learning curve with that.

"But it is not a perfect world and none of us are god-shots.  As for me, I am a little over extracted and therefore slightly bitter and my crema is thin..." -Buckley
 View Profile Link to this post
rameshmehara

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Apr 3, 2014, 11:19pm

I fully read your massage and add on your page all comment...
this is usefully and information....such a i will try in my life.
ses90

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Apr 6, 2014, 7:04am

I am not ignoring anyone.. I am a full time college student approaching the end of thesemester while working full time at my job as well. Yes, I was slightly offended by the responses from Buckley, and yes I honestly had no idea I was so completely clueless. I found this website through googling "coffee help" and it was one of the first results. I did not come here to poke at coffee experts or try to scam them or whatever it is that he thinks. I literally wanted to stop going to Starbucks all of the time and learn how to make my own.

I appreciate the advice that everyone is giving me. Like I said before, I can't afford to spend more than $200 right now because well, I am a student working for minimum wage. I have not had much time to research the recommendations but I think I will definitely end up trying the aero press. I will be sure to let everyone know what I come up with.
ses90

Posted Sun Apr 6, 2014, 7:08am

Actually I searched "espresso help forum". and for the record, I did read the espresso how-to before I posted my question. Also, though other and previous searching on the internet I came upon a video where someone was using a spoon to tamp because they did not have a tamper. I thought it was a decent idea.
BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Sun Apr 6, 2014, 8:08am

ses90 Said:

Actually I searched "espresso help forum". and for the record, I did read the espresso how-to before I posted my question. Also, though other and previous searching on the internet I came upon a video where someone was using a spoon to tamp because they did not have a tamper. I thought it was a decent idea.

Posted April 6, 2014 link

While vastly inferior to an actual tamper, a spoon is probably the next best thing that one would have on hand.

On your budget, the aeropress is a wise move. Without a good grinder, getting preground probably makes sense (though we geeks cringe at the idea).
Combine that with syrup & ice and you might come very close to what you're looking for.

You could try other roasters (either local or internet/mail-order). I roast my own beans so I'll leave it to others to make recommendations, but as has been mentioned, you can do much better than Starbuck's beans.

You also might want to freeze your grounds (in an airtight container to keep the moisture out).

PS: While I drink 95% of my espresso as straight shots, one of the things that got me thinking about espresso in the first place was that I liked Starbuck's Iced Mocha Lattes (sort of as a hot weather dessert drink, not as my go to coffee drink). I didn't have them often but did enjoy them and wanted to be able to make them at home. I do occasionally combine espresso, cocoa and milk, mostly over ice in the summer, occasionally as a hot drink in winter, and they taste quite good, though I do have "real" espresso equipment.

Good luck on your coffee venture!
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Apr 6, 2014, 11:38am

I disagree that a spoon is the next best thing to a proper tamper. Look around your kitchen (and the rest of your house for that matter)...have your pf basket in hand during the search, and see if you have anything with a flat round bottom that comes close to fitting inside. I found several small glasses that are far better than a spoon. The ones I found are beer sample size.

To OP: FWIW, the accusatory posts from Buckley were far from his usual highly respectful posts, where he tends to use many pleasantries...in fact, many more than just about everyone else here. I'm glad to see you don't scare off easy and are still participating.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sun Apr 6, 2014, 3:01pm

ses90 Said:

I am not ignoring anyone.. I am a full time college student approaching the end of thesemester while working full time...  I can't afford to spend more than $200 right now because well, I am a student working for minimum wage.

Cut your losses. Seel what you have to someone for what you can get, and get a Baratza Encore (about $100 refurb) and either an Aeropress ($25) or, my personal choice, an Espro Press (price depending on size). Feed it good coffee (IOW, not Starbucks) and it is easy to make a great cup of coffee with either. The Espro has the advantage of larger capacity and a vacuum insulated vessel.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Sun Apr 6, 2014, 3:09pm

emradguy Said:

I disagree that a spoon is the next best thing to a proper tamper. Look around your kitchen (and the rest of your house for that matter)...have your pf basket in hand during the search, and see if you have anything with a flat round bottom that comes close to fitting inside. I found several small glasses that are far better than a spoon. The ones I found are beer sample size.

You're probably right but I don't like pressing down hard on glass.

frcn Said:

Cut your losses. Seel what you have to someone for what you can get, and get a Baratza Encore (about $100 refurb) and either an Aeropress ($25) or, my personal choice, an Espro Press (price depending on size). Feed it good coffee (IOW, not Starbucks) and it is easy to make a great cup of coffee with either. The Espro has the advantage of larger capacity and a vacuum insulated vessel.

Since she needs something espresso-like, is the Aeropress more appropriate than the Espro? I've never used either.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Apr 6, 2014, 3:47pm

BarryR Said:

You're probably right but I don't like pressing down hard on glass.

How hard do you press? Me, I go just until I feel the puck is formed, so the glass isn't an issue.

BarryR Said:

Since she needs something espresso-like, is the Aeropress more appropriate than the Espro? I've never used either.

Aero press produces something resembling Moka pot, while Espro press is the ultimate French press.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > What am I doing...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.383376121521)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+