Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
What am I doing wrong? Please help!
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > What am I doing...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Buckley

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Mar 30, 2014, 2:44am
Subject: Re: What am I doing wrong? Please help!

BarryR Said:

Regarding keeping my opinions to myself, this is a forum for exchanging opinions and you certainly shared your opinion of the OP.

Posted March 29, 2014 link

If the OP has decided not to express umbrage at my response to his posting, what business of it is yours?
Do you have so little regard for the OP or such an exalted opinion of yourself that he requires you as his defender?

Nothing gives counterfeit posters more glee than to get two responders going at one another over his deceit.  It s a rolling-on-the-floor moment to dupe someone into standing up for him, especially against someone who is calling BS on his scam.

Buckley
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sun Mar 30, 2014, 5:47am

Say I am wasting my time, say I am feeding into a scam, I don't care, I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise and if I am, see my attitude flip very quickly and forever.

There really are noobs who ARE that clueless and yes there are trolls who do there best to stir the pot.

OP, Starbucks is not good espresso, it is VERY easy to get MUCH better coffee than there. You have a choice to make. As stated above, you can get great coffee in your budget but you can not get anything resembling espresso in that same budget. The grinder alone will cost more than you have to spend. So choose, good coffee or save money and buy some gear that can make espresso but at your budget, it is not going to happen.

Regardless, use fresh PROPERLY roasted beans, you will not get them at Starbucks.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TheRealScubaSteve
TheRealScubaSteve
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Delonghi EC155
Grinder: Baratza Encore
Posted Sun Mar 30, 2014, 2:45pm

frcn Said:

For that budget, get an Aeropress for $25 and a refurnished Baratza Encore for $100.

Posted March 28, 2014 link

The AeroPress and Encore is a good combo. Additionally, a Delonghi EC155 can be had for $99 or less, but requires some modifications on your part (no more than $50) in parts to make drinkable (but better than Starbucks by far) espresso. While most on these forums will abhor you for liking Starbucks (I once was like you) and abhor me for suggesting the EC155 (a bottom tier "espresso" machine) these are all relative to your standards. With Starbucks as the standard, any of these options will far exceed the quality made by your friendly Starbucks barista button pusher.

If $200-$250 is out of your budget, I'd start with an AeroPress and a Hario hand grinder as recommended above.

calblacksmith Said:

I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

Posted March 30, 2014 link

This is very much appreciated - there are real people who think/used to think Starbucks was good. Should I admit I was formerly one? Oh, you probably know since you've answered some of my pleas for help, just as the OP.

"But it is not a perfect world and none of us are god-shots.  As for me, I am a little over extracted and therefore slightly bitter and my crema is thin..." -Buckley
Buckley

Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 6:27am

calblacksmith Said:

Say I am wasting my time, say I am feeding into a scam, I don't care, I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise and if I am, see my attitude flip very quickly and forever.

There really are noobs who ARE that clueless and yes there are trolls who do there best to stir the pot.

Posted March 30, 2014 link

That's a real constructive overview of this whole thread, cbs, and I appreciate it.
With a general regard to the problem that the OP presented, and this is not meant to reflect any way on the OP (who hasn't responded in 4 days), if someones states that they 'have done research' and proceeds to detail a series of counter-productive or inappropriate choices presumably based on their reading is it safe to assume that they just don't 'get it'?
If so, of course there are two directions a response can take.  On one hand we can have faith in and try to nuture someone's interest no matter what, similar to handing out 'winner' ribbons to all the children taking part in the tetherball game.  On the other hand, we can refuse to become a shopping consultant for someone who has no intention of going past what is available at Bed, Bath & Beyond.  And there are approaches in between, as cbs has alluded to.
The phrase "you should find another hobby.." is, perhaps, a played-out, trite expression of irony, but in some cases it is true.  We all know someone (else) who should 'find another hobby'.  Examples abound; John Kennedy should never have taken up aviation, my neighbor should not own a drill press, etc.
Anyway, there are plenty of web sites that can advise most people on how to get a pot of coffee in their kitchen.  I just don't see myself or my fellow posters joining that cadre, but I appreciate your kindness, such as it is, when you choose to express it.
Buckley
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 6:59am

I tend to ignore..."I've done a lot of reading/research on here" because I still see lots of newbies saying that and then continuing to ask things like...so I decided on a Rocky or a Silvia, and asking what to pair with it machine or grinder, respectively.  So, that tells me their reading/reasearch didn't yield many fruitful results.  how many times has Randy's article 12 been recommended.  I honestly don't think I can count that high..yet how many newbies seem to have ever come across it in all thier"countless hours of reading/researching on this board"?

I guess my point is, I don't see asking uneducated questions as trolling, until someone really gets out of hand.  But something that really irks me, is when people ask a question, and then never followup with a thanks or any other reply. Or say thanks, but then never report if the advice was helpful after trying it. Heck, even if they come back and chastise us for being too snobbish or elitist, it's better than just blowing us off...and it's worse when a "senior member" does it...like that guy looking for a low cost tamper.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 9:35am

QUIZ

"X" insults Sarah Elizabeth (her real name), a young woman asking the same newbie questions which have been asked so many times by so many newbies on CG, by saying her question is so stupid he suspects that she's a troll; and she doesn't return.  That she doesn't come back to the forum, is:
  1. Evidence that she's a troll;
  2. Predictable;
  3. Evidence that "X" hasn't had much experience with women; Or,
  4. A combination of B and C.

As Buckley noted in another thread, people come to CG for advice, not to be insulted by "roughshods."

Rich
Buckley

Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 5:38pm

emradguy Said:

But something that really irks me, is when people ask a question, and then never followup with a thanks or any other reply.

Posted April 2, 2014 link

That's the majority of new postings.  You are not alone in this.  Many of us are left to imagine that there is a general tsunami of self-interested unintended rudeness on the internet due to the inability of visitors to go beyond "I got what I wanted" or "I din't get what I wanted".  Fortunately, no one is forcing us to correspond with people.  We do it because we love the practice of making coffee and sharing.  Perhaps we answer questions with the same hospitality we serve espresso or drinks to our guests: we do it to please them and, at best, we do it unselfconsciously; but few can deny that there is an attachment in us to what we are doing and if our drink or our advice is not acknowledged, there is just a little ping of regret.  In a perfect world we would move, Zen like, from one focused activity to the next in a selfless manner, assured in our activities and not in need of any reinforcement.  But it is not a perfect world and none of us are god-shots.  As for me, I am a little over extracted and therefore slightly bitter and my crema is thin...
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Thu Apr 3, 2014, 9:56am

The mindset about coffee here makes it hard to believe people like Sarah are real.
Visit your local *$ for a while and observe; this manufactured 'coffee culture' is more the norm, CG is much more the exception. The narrative is entirely believable.

Reading this thread, I don't see rudeness from Sarah. She just left.
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Thu Apr 3, 2014, 1:27pm

Frost Said:

Reading this thread, I don't see rudeness from Sarah.

Posted April 3, 2014 link

+ a googleplex.

She just left.

And who could blame her?

Rich
TheRealScubaSteve
TheRealScubaSteve
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Delonghi EC155
Grinder: Baratza Encore
Posted Thu Apr 3, 2014, 2:01pm

boar_d_laze Said:

And who could blame her?

Rich

Posted April 3, 2014 link

I have not been on CG for long, but I have seen a handful of people leave because of responses to their "stupid" questions. I lurked for quite a while before posting my own newbie questions.

"But it is not a perfect world and none of us are god-shots.  As for me, I am a little over extracted and therefore slightly bitter and my crema is thin..." -Buckley
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > What am I doing...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.362884044647)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+