Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Delonghi ec155 water pressure/flow
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Delonghi ec155...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
jnmoore

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Mar 31, 2014, 6:52pm
Subject: Re: Delonghi ec155 water pressure/flow

Hello, I know it's been a while so this is a belated reply, just wanted to give you a final update.
I tried numerous times to get the piece I broke off to stay and it just continued to break off if not while tightening then as soon as the boiler heated up it would crack and break off so in the end I sadly consented and bought a new machine. Thankfully I was able to get it for a good price from amazon. I kept my old one in case I need parts someday. I can't thank you enough, even though in the end I had to get a new machine it was a great learning experience and it felt awesome to be able to do the repairs myself and take apart and successfully reassemble the whole thing by myself and it was kind of fun :) so thank you thank you again!!
 View Profile Link to this post
XD

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Apr 29, 2014, 6:01pm

Hi guys, I'm new here and my Delonghi EC155 started to give me trouble recently and google leads me here. How surprised that I found myself having the EXACT same problem as the original post described. I mean exactly the same issue! I had my EC155 in 2012 and have been using it a few times a week on average. I have descaled probably twice before when I felt the flow rate became too slow. On one morning recently, the machine failed to pull a shot. There was completely no flow coming out. I descaled and it seemed to help a little. But the flow was still not fast enough. Many thanks to the posts here, I completely took apart the machine following the previous instructions. However, I found out the boiler was clean as a whistle and there was nothing to block the spring valve area either. Then I measured the flow rate from the steaming wand and it's between 550-600 ml/min. But when I measured the flow rate from the boiler, it's only about 200 ml/min. It seems that the pump is working if I'm getting close to 600 ml/min on the steaming wand. But why am I not getting enough flow from the boiler end while it's not blocked in anyway whatsoever? Guys I'm really confused....what's going on with my espresso machine?? Any ideas/thoughts are appreciated.
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue Apr 29, 2014, 6:27pm

XD, welcome to CG.

XD Said:

I completely took apart the machine following the previous instructions. However, I found out the boiler was clean as a whistle and there was nothing to block the spring valve area either. Then I measured the flow rate from the steaming wand and it's between 550-600 ml/min. But when I measured the flow rate from the boiler, it's only about 200 ml/min. It seems that the pump is working if I'm getting close to 600 ml/min on the steaming wand. But why am I not getting enough flow from the boiler end while it's not blocked in anyway whatsoever? Guys I'm really confused....what's going on with my espresso machine?? Any ideas/thoughts are appreciated.

Posted April 29, 2014 link

Did you remove the valve, or see "nothing to block it," meaning clean machine?  They can get sticky and not open well.  If not removed, disassembled and cleaned, try that and then post back. The valve only exerts about 1.5 bar back pressure IIRC, so "not blocked anyway whatsoever" does not sound correct.  It should flow almost like the wand if functioning normally.  I have not seen actual new normal flow rates, however, so am not completely sure what flow will go through that tract.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
XD

Posted Tue Apr 29, 2014, 7:33pm

Yes I took the entire assembly out and opened the boiler. The inside was shiny as new and I was able to see through the passage way. There was nothing there. I just unscrewed and removed the spring valve from underneath and measured the unrestricted flow rate from the boiler. It's about 450 ml/min. Could the spring be too stiff and put too much pressure in the boiler? But it looks okay to me.
D4F

Posted Tue Apr 29, 2014, 9:11pm

I doubt that the spring has gotten stronger with time, use and heating cycles.  Perhaps someone with a similar Delonghi could post flow through the group with the normal working valve in place for comparison.  The system is not likely going to flow that high with the spring and mushroom in place.

It takes very little to make the valve stick.  If you get a chance, reassemble and try again.

Sorry not have a definite answer.

D4F also at
XD

Posted Wed Apr 30, 2014, 6:22am

Thanks for the suggestion and I agree that it seems unlikely to be caused by the spring. I put the valve back and the flow rate was about 220 ml/min. Pulled a shot and it took 40 sec! Little to no crema. Apparently something is still going on. But I should say it's an improvement from no flow to slow flow? lol

To summarize the findings from tests: Pump is able to put out 550 ml/min from steaming wand. Pump is able to put out 450 ml/min from boiler with no spring valve. Pump is only able to put out 220 ml/min with spring valve. Spring valve is clean. Could it be the pump is weak? Or bad OPV? But if the spring is only adding 2 bars, you wouldn't think it would behave so differently with it...confusing.
D4F

Posted Wed Apr 30, 2014, 8:18am

The spring requires about 2 bar to open, but I am not sure what the mechanism does to the outflow tract. Difficult to compare a wide open tract to a tract with the mechanism in place as it displaces volume and probably flow.  As noted, not sure what normal is for that machine.

As far as brewing, what grinder?

Pressurized or not?

D4F also at
XD

Posted Wed Apr 30, 2014, 10:45am

There is a rubber ball at the top of the spring and it seems like when enough pressure is there it will push the spring downward and separate the ball from the track? That's how I visualize it.

I'm using pressurized basket, fine grind but not the super fine espresso grind. The setup has been working for me since I don't have an expensive grinder to get the finest grind. But this machine is trouble!
D4F

Posted Wed Apr 30, 2014, 12:23pm

Sounds like a good description of how the valve works.  I am not sure how much flow is diminished from wide open by the presence of the mechanism in the outflow tract.  It would be nice to know normal group flow, and normal wand flow for comparison to yours.  

Yep, understand that it worked before with the same technique and the machine seems to be the problem.  Just trying to cover all the bases and hope that an actual EC155 user can help.

Where are you Jessica  :)

D4F also at
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Delonghi ec155...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.249856948853)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+