Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Delonghi ec155 water pressure/flow
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Delonghi ec155...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jnmoore

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014, 9:56pm
Subject: Re: Delonghi ec155 water pressure/flow

Well, I sort of wonder if it may actually end up being more than my quadrupled 15sec extrapolation but I'm afraid to test a longer time without either putting the boiler back together or figuring out which wires will turn it on without turning on the boiler as well. So I'll give it some thought and either test it tomorrow or attempt to put it all back together and see what happens!

And yes I absolutely learned a lot! It was fantastic too so thank you again! And I will definitely let you know what happens either way.
 View Profile Link to this post
jnmoore

Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014, 3:16pm

Ok so I started putting it back together which was a little bit of a challenge, but I found that if I took off the bottom of the machine I could take off the hoses where they attach to the water tank and essentially pull out the entire inner workings of the machine which allowed me to fit the nuts back underneath the boiler assembly. Phew! I kid you not I was almost finished- just had to reattach the front knob and put the top back on and as I was tightening the screw that holds the heat sensors onto the boiler it snapped off. I pretty much died on the spot :/ apparently it was only pressure welded to the boiler and my super buff tightening skills were too much for it. So I went and got my dad to see if he thought there was a way to reattach it. He said we might be able to weld it back on but isn't sure since the boiler is stainless steel. For now we attached it with a welding epoxy so that I can get it put together and at least give it a shot to see if the boiler puts out any water because if it doesn't then obviously I'll have to buy a new machine and we won't need to bother welding it back on. It takes 4-6 hours to completely cure though and obviously as it's pretty important I don't want to rush it, well, actually I DO want to rush it but I won't! If it does work then I suppose we'll look into whether or not we can weld it back on unless there are any other suggestions? I completely understand if not :) I'll let you know what happens!
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014, 3:38pm

Sounds like you are making progress, one step forward and two back :)  What broke off, a stud on the boiler?  I can't quite envision from the diagrams, but I believe that there is a stud on the boiler that holds a clip for the thermostats, and held down by a nut.  You were tightening a nut on that stud?  Epoxy is JB weld or high temperature equivalent?

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
jnmoore

Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014, 3:44pm

Yes you are exactly right on all counts! Andit was jb weld quick setting epoxy that is rated to temperatures of up 230 degrees- do you suppose that would be enough by itself? I'm not familiar with how hot the boilers on these types of machines get.
D4F

Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014, 3:58pm

Not exactly sure which formula you used?  Some is good to 300F, but you probably read 230F on the package.  Did the stud have a flange or did you just try to epoxy the stud end to end?  That would be a very small surface area to hold when buff girl tightens, even if temperature holds.  The boiler wall may well go ever 230F with steam, probably not on brew.

D4F also at
D4F

Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014, 4:02pm

The slow stuff, original is good to 550F, if you need a redo; that would be if you can tighten and it melts or softens.

http://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-weld/

D4F also at
jnmoore

Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014, 4:10pm

Yes it had a flange thankfully and yeah it said 230 on the package. That's great to know about the slow setting kind though!! I think my brother has one of those temperature guns, maybe I can borrow that and check how hot the boiler gets while I have the top off the whole thing anyway. Then if it seems ok maybe I can just keep an eye on it and take the top off occasionally to ensure it's still holding. If not I may look into the slow setting one- that'd be a heck of a lot easier than attempting to weld something so small not to mention stainless steel!
D4F

Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014, 4:19pm

Try a few runs without steaming and see if fixed.

Brew stat is 105C or about 221F and steam stat is 125C or about 257F according to

Click Here (www.ereplacementparts.com)

D4F also at
jnmoore

Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014, 9:18pm

Waahhh! I waited the full six hours and didn't even use my brute strength this time and it popped right off :( debating if I should buy the slow setting jb weld and give that a try or not. Hmph. :)
D4F

Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 9:03am

Not sure that anything will hold.  Not seeing the application, does the nut have to be more than finger tight?  Doesn't it just hold a spring clamp down, but not actually apply the clamping force to the stats.  Or nut holds the clamp which in turn puts spring tension on the stat?  Are you over tightening?

Before epoxy, I clean with light sanding or steel wool to the area and then wipe with acetone.

D4F also at
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Delonghi ec155...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket Espresso Machines
Free extended warranty & free shipping. Contact us for best prices.
espressooutlet.net
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.250818967819)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+