Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Delonghi ec155 water pressure/flow
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Delonghi ec155...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014, 2:11pm
Subject: Re: Delonghi ec155 water pressure/flow

If you look at the links in my post above you will see a parts diagram and a parts list.  You can click on the parts list and see the parts one by one.  That visual will help you see how they fit.  Of course the following link will also help.  It is for the EC710 but internally they are very similar and the boilers and valve probably the same.  If they updated it will not change the disassembly flow.  The mushroom and spring are the usual source of difficulty with scale.  Scale fragments into the spring in the outflow  track can limit motion and physically limit flow.  Fragments in the mushroom seat will not allow proper seating and cause group drip, as on a current EC155 thread.

Click Here (www.r3uk.com)

Had to dig deep into old favorites for that one :)

You may be able to remove the screen and then the valve from below and not disassemble the machine.  You may have to remove enough of the front floor to get good access.  Hint, the valve body or "dowel" may be stuck, so get an appropriately fitting tool.  You may need hot water in the boiler to have heat loosen/soften the gunk, so if you heat the machine, it must be full of water. then obviously remove the tank.  Open the steam wand to let off any pressure, then you can close it and tip the machine over and crack the valve loose.  Then let it sit until cool enough that you don't burn yourself when the water starts to flow.

Or, you say "why bother," and get the new one?  You may need to know how to take care of the new one, so why not try the old one first :)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
jnmoore

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014, 3:00pm

Beautiful! Thanks to both of your help I have successfully taken apart my machine and it doesn't look entirely foreign to me inside! (Although to be honest it doesn't come apart as nicely as the machine you linked to so I have no idea how I would reattach the nuts to the boiler screws as there's pretty much no access to them underneath...)
So now the new question is, what happens when I get it all apart and the interior of the boiler as well as the spring loaded valve area is all entirely clear and has no scale build up at all??? Does that mean it is indeed the pump and this was a fun and empowering adventure that still leads to the purchase of a new machine?
D4F

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014, 4:08pm

jnmoore Said:

So now the new question is, what happens when I get it all apart and the interior of the boiler as well as the spring loaded valve area is all entirely clear and has no scale build up at all??? Does that mean it is indeed the pump and this was a fun and empowering adventure that still leads to the purchase of a new machine?

Posted March 19, 2014 link

That was this part.  I might have done that first, sorry that I did not specify.  It is fairly noninvasive :)

D4F Said:

If you detach the pump from the boiler and run the pump into a glass for 30 seconds you will get the unobstructed flow which should be in the 600 ml/minute range if a ULKA pump or equivalent. I only measure for 30 seconds and double, and do not keep the pump running.  You may also find a reasonable rate by just running the pump with the steam wand open.  It ;probably will not run over about 450 - 500 ml/min rate as the diameter may not allow full 600 ml/min flow.  Similar on this thread

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/656355

Posted March 19, 2014 link

I can't quite envision the machine where the nuts go.  How did you keep them from spinning to get the screws out?  What is over them and can it be removed?  Can you reverse, not on topside and screw from below?  That was part of why I mentioned taking out the valve without disassembly :(

You could post on the other active thread about removing the diffuser screw.

Good news is that if you got this far, you will figure it out :)

D4F also at
jnmoore

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014, 4:44pm

Riiiiiiight, I follow you now- unfortunately I already disassembled the entire thing sooo, good job Jessica! lol

As for getting the screws out I loosened them then unscrewed them the rest of the way by hand while lifting up against the bottom of the boiler unit plate. I could probably take the whole thing out and to reattach them I'd just have to finagle around the steam wand and hose as they go through that plate.

However before I bother with any of that is it really worth it? If there was no obstruction doesn't it have to be the pump? I mean sure I could reconnect the electrical and test it but I just can't see what else it would be at this point...?
D4F

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014, 4:59pm

You can test the pump.  Is the pump in the machine?  Mounted to something?  Put the intake in water, the tank if appropriate, and run the pump.  You can tape off/insulate any connections that are loose and then turn on the machine. Obviously more difficult if the switches and wires are completely out.  If that is easily doable, run the pump for 30 seconds and measure output in a container.  In theory it is possible to have a damaged pump that will flow against 0 pressure normally and not well against pressure, not the usual case.

Just so that you understand, not asking you to repair the pump

Click Here (ulkapumprepair.blogspot.com)

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

You can see how a pump works.  If you can run it and measure flow, you will know a lot.

Is it worth it; you are understanding how simple most SBDU machines are.  About all that is left on the more complex SBDUs are 3 way solenoids and adjustable OPV.  SBDU 101, priceless :)

D4F also at
jnmoore

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014, 5:35pm

I think it's safe to say it's the pump, I turned it on to try and do a water test and got all of four drops in about 20 seconds! Such a bummer but at least now I know, right?

Many many thanks again for all the help, you guys are pretty much awesome!
jnmoore

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014, 5:46pm

Wait wait never mind, I double checked and hadn't reconnected something properly. I tried again and got 125ml in 15 seconds so that'd be around 500ml in 60 seconds. I didn't want to run it longer with the boiler open and everything- that thing gets unimaginably hot!!!

So, pump works, no scale blockage...what the heck does that mean?!
D4F

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014, 6:05pm

Describe what you did.  I thought the machine was apart, boiler out, and that the switches were still wired to the pump, so that you would turn on the pump, only.  Was there water in the boiler and the element covered?  You can disconnect the pump outlet from the boiler and run it in a container while the element "wires are off and taped over," or the boiler full and cold.  15 seconds will not heat that much if the boiler was full. It is very hard on the element if not submerged to keep it cool.

Here is the chart of pressure vs flow.  If just flow from the pump through a tube the back pressure is about 0 and the flow about 660.  If through the group valve perhaps 2 bar, not sure, and then low 500 ml/min is correct.

If you look at the thread on flow

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/656355

You can see that neither the group, nor the wand singularly give "0" back pressure, but they approach together.  That is with a 3 way, vs your valve, which exerts some pressure.

D4F also at
jnmoore

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014, 6:13pm

The machine was apart yes, and the pump disconnected from the boiler which was open (top and bottom pieces). All the electrical was disconnected from the boiler and knobs etc but I reconnected it in order to be able to turn the pump on. My complete lack of any electrical knowledge meant I reconnected all four groupings of wires because I don't know which ones control the pump and which ones control the boiler. So I ran the pump for about fifteen seconds, just the hose that comes off the pump, into a measuring cup. It didn't go through the boiler so it was heating up with no water passing through it. Makes sense that that's probably not good for it actually :/
D4F

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014, 9:09pm

500 ml/min is a bit low flow for wide open.  Did you happen to see the name and number of the pump?

Sometimes it works when back together because in the process of opening and cleaning you dislodged a blockage of small piece of scale.  You learned a lot either way.

Please follow up with the rest of the story :)

D4F also at
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Delonghi ec155...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.285010099411)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+