Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Gaggia classic pre infusion (steam valve open)
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Gaggia classic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Mrparapluie
Mrparapluie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Ascaso iSteel 1 (54 flat...
Posted Mon Jan 13, 2014, 10:46am
Subject: Gaggia classic pre infusion (steam valve open)

Hello !

I would like to know who have already try this method. It consist to open the steam wand before the brew process to pre infuse the puck with low pressure flow.

This is what i do :

Hit the steam button for 5 sec (heating a little bit much because we loose water during the pre infusion)
Load the portafilter
Lock the portafilter
Open the steam valve one quarter
Hit the brew button with the valve open
Pre infuse for 5/6 second ( at this point normaly the flow begin at 6-7 sec without the valve open but if i let the valve open i have no coffee before like 10 sec)
Close the steam valve slowly (after 5/6 sec), the pump is now pushing more and more to finally have the normal pressure
Let the shot finish, usualy the perfect time for this kind of coffee is 26/28 sec.

I taste it. The cup was great and everything seem seems balanced. I have to play with the method a little bit to learn everything but im verry satisfied with the shot quality !

Tell me your feedback with this method of pre infusion !
How many bar can i reach with the valve open ?
Is this safe for the pump ?
Do i have to grind finer because i pre infuse the puck ?

I hope we could have a nice discussion about that my friend :)

(Sorry for my english by the way :S )
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Jan 13, 2014, 11:46am
Subject: Re: Gaggia classic pre infusion (steam valve open)

Mrparapluie Said:

Hello !

Posted January 13, 2014 link

HI :D

Mrparapluie Said:

I would like to know who have already try this method. It consist to open the steam wand before the brew process to pre infuse the puck with low pressure flow.

This is what i do :

Hit the steam button for 5 sec (heating a little bit much because we loose water during the pre infusion)
Load the portafilter
Lock the portafilter
Open the steam valve one quarter
Hit the brew button with the valve open
Pre infuse for 5/6 second ( at this point normaly the flow begin at 6-7 sec without the valve open but if i let the valve open i have no coffee before like 10 sec)
Close the steam valve slowly (after 5/6 sec), the pump is now pushing more and more to finally have the normal pressure
Let the shot finish, usualy the perfect time for this kind of coffee is 26/28 sec.

I taste it. The cup was great and everything seem seems balanced. I have to play with the method a little bit to learn everything but im verry satisfied with the shot quality !

Tell me your feedback with this method of pre infusion !
How many bar can i reach with the valve open ?

With the steam wand open, you are allowing the pressure to vent so it would be low, I guess it would be in relation to how open the valve is.

Mrparapluie Said:

Is this safe for the pump ?

I don't see how it will hurt the pump.

Mrparapluie Said:

Do i have to grind finer because i pre infuse the puck ?

No, you grind the same.

Mrparapluie Said:

I hope we could have a nice discussion about that my friend :)

(Sorry for my english by the way :S )

While I suppose you could do this, I, personally, don't see any value in it.

By turning the heater on, you bring your brew temp too high, there is always a new flow of water into the boiler when brewing and the manufacturer took that into account when they designed the machine. By turning the steam switch on, all you are doing is making the water hotter, you are not adding water to the boiler, it is already full of water an it can hold no more.

You will loose water from the boiler in the form of steam. A SBDU machine has a small enough boiler to begin with and letting water out of the boiler before brewing, only makes this worse.

Some people put a dimmer on the pump to try to slow it down, I feel a better way is with a circuit that changes the frequency rather than lowering the voltage as when you lower the voltage, it causes the pump to draw more power and that is a bad thing for the windings in the pump, they will over heat and burn out sooner. By changing the frequency, the pump will pump fewer times a second but while drawing the proper current so it does not over heat, this would have the affect of lowering the pressure in the system when brewing.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Mrparapluie
Mrparapluie

Posted Mon Jan 13, 2014, 3:39pm

thank you calblacksmith !

I have test today several shot with and without this pre infusion technique. I also test it with a friend and with two kind of coffee..

The shot with pre infusion was more complex and we have found some cereal taste who was awesome ! The time was 26s for 2oz.

The shot without the pre infusion was little bit sour, because the extraction time was 20s for 2oz (same coffee, same grind and tamping routine). The cereal taste was not there and the overall was "ok" but not like the first one. Interesting to see so much change between the first and the second one !

I don't need to tweak my pump to make it "profiling" cause i know the pump will get hurt. I think this pre infusion method is awesome and i will continue that way :)
Frost
Frost
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Mon Jan 13, 2014, 10:40pm

The vibe pump 'motor' is essentially a solenoid coil and diode; there is no issue of drawing more current or overheating at lower voltages like a motor winding. This method is not so effective at the much lower flow/pressure range for pre-infusion though. The pump behavior becomes erratic and/or stalls at the very low voltages required. It works well in the range of around 6-10 Bar.

The issue using the steam wand is as Wayne mentioned; You are bleeding your precious 3.5 oz of boiler water and increasing temperature drop on the Gaggia during the shot, and it's hard to know what you are doing without a pressure gauge installed.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Tue Jan 14, 2014, 7:13am

Agreed the pump is little more than a coil, similar to a door bell coil, it is cycled on and off (AC voltage) and thus pulses the connecting linkage to the diaphram causing the water to move through the pump space and the check valves keep the water flowing in one direction. A lower voltage would cause the action of the linkage to move less per pulse and thus move less water, yep, it will not draw more current but a circuit that varies the CPS would be more effective than lowering the voltage, and would be much more "accurate" in the reduced flow as the coil would be operating at full magnetic flux and the linkage would be making the full stroke, just fewer times a second. YMMV :D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jan 14, 2014, 7:45am

Mrparapluie Said:

thank you calblacksmith !

I have test today several shot with and without this pre infusion technique. I also test it with a friend and with two kind of coffee..

The shot with pre infusion was more complex and we have found some cereal taste who was awesome ! The time was 26s for 2oz.

The shot without the pre infusion was little bit sour, because the extraction time was 20s for 2oz (same coffee, same grind and tamping routine). The cereal taste was not there and the overall was "ok" but not like the first one. Interesting to see so much change between the first and the second one !

I don't need to tweak my pump to make it "profiling" cause i know the pump will get hurt. I think this pre infusion method is awesome and i will continue that way :)

Id be careful analyzing your results like that. If you pull the shots back to back, you will get fluxuations in temperature and the later shots usually taste better as all the parts have been heated with hot water. I've done what you said and noticed exactly no changes. Interesting to hear your results. I use a PID though, so I don't get huge temperature fluxuations.
Mrparapluie
Mrparapluie

Posted Tue Jan 14, 2014, 10:05am

Thank you Brianl

brianl Said:

Id be careful analyzing your results like that. If you pull the shots back to back, you will get fluxuations in temperature

Posted January 14, 2014 link

I dont pull 10 shot back to back and i carefully wait for the boiler to heating up between the next shot. I have a thermometer install on the boiler to have an idea of what temp is...i know its not the best but help me a lot to know when the temp kick in and when it become to drop.

Thank you Frost

Frost Said:

and it's hard to know what you are doing without a pressure gauge installed.

Yep i know, my question was to know if somebody else have already try this method and tell me how much bar he get. I will buy a pressure gauge today to test everything.
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue Jan 14, 2014, 12:49pm

calblacksmith Said:

By turning the heater on, you bring your brew temp too high, there is always a new flow of water into the boiler when brewing and the manufacturer took that into account when they designed the machine. By turning the steam switch on, all you are doing is making the water hotter, you are not adding water to the boiler, it is already full of water an it can hold no more.

To expand a little on this, the aluminum boiler Gaggias are different.  The element is in the boiler wall and not the water.  Many Gaggia users turn on the steam switch for 3 - 4 seconds before and then wait another 3 - 4 seconds before turning on the brew switch.  It does not over heat the water even with a PID and the machine stable.  Cold will water will enter the boiler with the brew switch "on", and have immediate cooling unless you do this.  From steam switch "on" to element heat, to boiler wall heat to heat into the water absorbs that time, and will time heating of the water and cooling of the water to coincide.  That is not accounting for lower flow/pressure while pre-infusing. Of course a thermofilter could be used to time out heat needs with the method described.

The potential difficulty of pre-infusion and use of the steam switch as described without PID is that it removes another method of surfing.  Without PID, some would use the temperature lights to determine and time the brew switch so that brewing starts a little before the boiler heat up is complete and then the cool water in flow will cause the boiler to stay on.  

I did see that OP was using a boiler thermometer and has some idea where the boiler temperature, not the water, is.  I am not sure of the correlation between boiler wall and water temperature in this method.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Fri Jan 17, 2014, 7:07am

For sure, there will be a lag in temp swing as the mass of the boiler shell takes longer to heat than a direct immersion heater does, I suppose that a few seconds would not hurt much but much longer and you are starting to heat the boiler to the steam region, thus my comment about over temp water. YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Gaggia classic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.383759021759)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+