Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Is it 25 seconds from button push or from first drip?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Is it 25 seconds...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Gallansio

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jan 9, 2014, 7:57pm
Subject: Is it 25 seconds from button push or from first drip?

I'm curious if I should start my time when I push the button or when the first drop starts to come out of the portafilter.  Thanks!!
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Jan 9, 2014, 11:20pm
Subject: Re: Is it 25 seconds from button push or from first drip?

My best advice: Ignore the clock. Watch the stream. taste the espresso. Repeat for the next three or four decades and get back to us.
Seriously. The clock is good for the first week or two, as is the 2 ounces in 25 seconds rule, and about the same as some specific tamping force. These are all pretty much starting guidelines and places to fall back on when things go teets up. The mass of coffee for each pull is more valuable than all the rest I mentioned above combined.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Nurk2
Nurk2
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggio Classic
Grinder: Gaggio MDF
Drip: French Press
Posted Fri Jan 10, 2014, 11:21am

"+1"

If it sounds good, it is good.
~ Duke Ellington

If you sound bad on Squire through a Peavey Bandit, you're not going to sound good on a PRS through a Badcat.

www.danskidmore.com
acasabia
acasabia
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Fri Jan 10, 2014, 11:42am

This is difficult to say, it depends on your method and pre-infusion, but most machines that time this automatically go by the button push. I like to count the lag separate from my shot time as an indicator of a grind or tamping defect, but I only ever even think about this if I cleaned out my grinder and need to reset it.

Typically if the flow looks good, and tastes good, I ignore timing.

Anthony C

Currently pulling:
Path Coffee Roasters (PortChester, NY) Feather in cap espresso.

Cold Brewing:
Gimme! (ithaca, NY) Moca Java

http://coffeeandneuroscience.wordpress.com/
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Fri Jan 10, 2014, 12:08pm

+1 more.  Very much +1 more.  

The clock is meaningful in the sense that if the shot flows too quickly it is something which MUST be addressed; while a shot which flows too slowly is a shot which MIGHT need tweaking.  

There is an official "Italian Standard" time range of 25sec plus or minus 5sec, which is nice to know I suppose, but doesn't have as much to do with what matters as you might think.  Sophisticated measurement tells us that at appropriate temperatures, brew ratios, puck depths, grind sizes and grind consistency, yields level out at the 20 second mark.  

So, as a practical matter, it's possible to pull some very good shots which run longer than 30sec.  

You do want to avoid over-extraction, but things you can see like spurting, and/or premature blonding are better indicia of problems than time.  For most people, the four most common technique problem areas are temperature, distribution, grind and dose; and the last three are best diagnosed visually using the U.S. GI Mk IV Human Eyeball.

At uber levels of barista-ing, where extraction and yield are well understood as the goals, getting consistent times in the high 20sec range while using a flow meter to insure consistent amounts of brew water becomes important as a diagnostic that ALL of the other variables are equally well controlled.  

I might not be a good enough barista to get it, but in my opinion that sort of consistency and the expensive equipment necessary to measure it are only important to cafes and not in the home; not even at the highest level.  

So anyway, as long as you understand that it doesn't mean anything:  The H-B espresso contingent differentiates "dwell time" from time when the shot is actually running; with dwell time beginning at the onset of pressure (including pre-infusion) and ending at beginning of visual flow; and calculates "shot time" as 1/2 dwell time + visual flow time.

Other people -- including the Istituto Nazionale Espresso Italiano -- calculate it as pressure start (including pre-infusion) to end of visual flow.  

I believe Jim Schulman aka "Another Jim" was the first to come up with the formulation (but maybe not).  In any case, Jim knows a LOT about espresso and you could do worse than reading him.

BDL
brianl

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Jan 13, 2014, 7:42am

i'm just reaffirming whats been said. I started out with the 25 second rule but had lackluster results. I now flirt with the blonding point and as long as thats over about 20 seconds from when i flip the switch, i'm good.

I count the blonding point when I don't see any dark color left anywhere. Does anyone do sooner or later?
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Jan 13, 2014, 12:00pm

The flow can lighten up as the shot progresses, blonding is when you see the white spot start to form in the cup at the point of the stream entering the coffee.

I just watch the clock, from pressure on, to the end of shot to make sure things are not way out of wack, the taste is king. You can have a 25 second shot that tastes like garbage but I have had even 40 second shots taste good. YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Jan 13, 2014, 12:36pm

brianl Said:

i'm just reaffirming whats been said. I started out with the 25 second rule but had lackluster results. I now flirt with the blonding point and as long as thats over about 20 seconds from when i flip the switch, i'm good.

I count the blonding point when I don't see any dark color left anywhere. Does anyone do sooner or later?

Posted January 13, 2014 link

I agree, same here. I do preinfusion and aim for around 27-30 seconds timed after 1st drips start. I've played with preinfusion, no preinfusion, used other machines like the Silvia which is just on or off.... and have never liked the taste of the shots that are 25 seconds from turning on the pump. I usually do 1.75-2oz and done the timed from turning on the pump way always makes a shot that looks and taste more like a gusher and early blonding to me. I've never been able to pull a double in 25 seconds doing no preinfuse on my machine and timed from pump turning on, or any machine for that matter.

It's like when I see the SCG vids, they time from turning on the pump and for like 20-25 seconds fora  double, 99% of the time the shots look like gushers to me and early blonding. I've seen them pull doubles at like 20 seconds and loved the taste and flavors, I did that playing around and man did that taste seriously underextracted lol.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Mon Jan 13, 2014, 2:31pm

For the "blonding point" also watch the viscosity of the flow. The flow will start like warm molasses, change to hot honey, then turn to light-tan water. It's the last you try to avoid.

You can also test if this is important to you at all. Starting with a clean palate, use four or five shot glasses. Start an extraction and catch 4 or five seconds of extraction in each. taste them in reverse order (last one captured first) after the extraction is completed.  You tell us if the blonding point is a real problem. The late captures will lack body, and possibly dramatically so, but try to ignore that and focus on only the taste.  Sip each and take a short drink of water in between each taste test.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
brianl

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jan 14, 2014, 7:50am

frcn Said:

For the "blonding point" also watch the viscosity of the flow. The flow will start like warm molasses, change to hot honey, then turn to light-tan water. It's the last you try to avoid.

You can also test if this is important to you at all. Starting with a clean palate, use four or five shot glasses. Start an extraction and catch 4 or five seconds of extraction in each. taste them in reverse order (last one captured first) after the extraction is completed.  You tell us if the blonding point is a real problem. The late captures will lack body, and possibly dramatically so, but try to ignore that and focus on only the taste.  Sip each and take a short drink of water in between each taste test.

Posted January 13, 2014 link

This sounds like a good weekend project.

I time but just out of habit as i usually ignore it ha. I get about 16g in 20g out in about 35 seconds. I count when the switch is flipped. I never heard anyone say blonding is when you see a white part in the coffee surface, i'll have to try that out too.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Is it 25 seconds...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.33896613121)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+