Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Need advice, perhaps grinder needs a cleaning?
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Need advice,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Xeno

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sun Jan 5, 2014, 4:06pm
Subject: Need advice, perhaps grinder needs a cleaning?

Hello all,

I think my Baratza Vario needs a comprehensive manual cleaning.  I ran some (non-instant) oatmeal thought it a couple months ago, and I've been having nothing but problems since.  I remember the oatmeal actually coming out warm feeling at one point.

Anyway, now all of my shots are blonding way early (using Gaggia Classic).  At the end of my double shot, 80% is crema (and it finally settles a minute later to around 20%.)  I have a feeling it's my grinder because i changed beans 3 times and it's doing the same thing.  The shot also tastes quite under extracted each time.  I've been adjusting so that it's a 25-30 shot, but it always tastes weak.  Puck is sometimes wet, but usually I'm getting it solid.  What I think is happening is that I messed the burrs up with the oatmeal, and now things are channeling through the puck.  Any opinions on this?

Also, are there any comprehensive guides to cleaning the Vario?  I am afraid to remove the lower burrs because I need hearing about issues happening when people do so.  If there is none, could someone give me a step-by-step on how to do so and what to look out for?

Thank you!

Edit:  Let me add that I was on an over year-long hiatus from brewing espresso at home.  When I began again (a couple of months ago) is when I cleaned the grinder out with the oatmeal.  This is why I'm not 100% sure it's due to the oatmeal process - because I have nothing to compare it to besides what I was brewing over a year ago.
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Jan 5, 2014, 5:59pm
Subject: Re: Need advice, perhaps grinder needs a cleaning?

oatmeal??????????  where did you hear to use oatmeal? It's RICE, and the instant part is very important. The alternative is to use Grindz.

My suggestion is to disassemble the grinder and clean it thoroughly. Then, put it back together, calibrate and dial in your grind all over again. You should be good to go after that. Baratza has great tutorials/guides/troubleshoots and walkthroughs on their website.  I'd look there first for the how to on disassembly.  All else fails, call or email them. They are great people and will help you as much as you need!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Xeno

Posted Sun Jan 5, 2014, 8:43pm

I've heard to use Oatmeal from many sources, including Craig I believe - as long as it's not the instant oatmeal.  

Actually see Craig's reply on this thread:  http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/grinders/553785

Thanks, I'll check Baratza's site out.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 12:22pm

Wow!  I've never heard that before.  Obviously, I didn't see that thread.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Xeno

Posted Fri Jan 10, 2014, 12:03am

emradguy Said:

oatmeal??????????  where did you hear to use oatmeal? It's RICE, and the instant part is very important. The alternative is to use Grindz.

Baratza has great tutorials/guides/troubleshoots and walkthroughs on their website.  I'd look there first for the how to on disassembly.  All else fails, call or email them. They are great people and will help you as much as you need!

Posted January 5, 2014 link

:(  They have no guide.  Guess I'll give em a ring tomorrow.  Thanks again,
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Need advice,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.273072004318)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+