Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
25 Seconds....
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > 25 Seconds....  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
bendyminge

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Jan 5, 2014, 9:27am
Subject: Re: 25 Seconds....

Thanks for that. I've been reading up on both of these mods all day and have ordered both steam wand and bottomless PF, so I'll report back once done.

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated. Cheers Ben.
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sun Jan 5, 2014, 1:52pm

Just to be clear, you did not need a bottomless, but may have wanted it :)  You do need a non-pressurized double basket, perhaps will come with the bottomless.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Jan 5, 2014, 5:49pm

Though I agree a bottomless is not a need. It is a great tool for helping one get their distribution right.  I find it highly pleasurable to watch the extraction from the bottom…and in fact, cannot move past that aspect of the bottomless pf…not that I've tried all that hard :)  The bottomless pf will allow you to see channeling and areas of delayed or advanced extraction.  Heck, some of the members here even use a photo of the extraction for their avatar!

Also, be forewarned…they can be messy, especially in the beginning.  Sprites shoot out almost horizontally sometimes when you're learning and the spray can get on your skin, clothes, counter, walls and the machine body. If you've squatted down to look at the bottom of the basket and are close, you may even get one in the eye (though if you wear glasses that helps protect you).  The good news is, when you get a routine of good technique down pat, your spites become few and far between, and are usually small enough that they don't make a difference where it counts - in the cup.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
bendyminge

Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 3:10am

A bottomless PF is just a want, but with reason. I'm essentially a massive geek when it comes to technology and as an engineer I love to see how things work and the idea of a bottomless PF goes someway to doing this. I know full well that this will be the starting point of another hobby (obsession) for my friends and family to groan and grumble at. "Why do you have to get SO into everything?!" :)
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 7:04am

Sounds like you got the hario mini mill? I've never got it to work well for espresso but i hear it does. You're going to have huge arms using this. haha jk. Sounds like you understand the need for fresh ROASTED coffee. Don't buy into expiration dates as they are worthless.

Like others said, modifications that are pretty much needed in order

change OPV
change steam wand
install PID (gaggia is wildly inconsistent)

I can help along the way but there are actual guides with pictures on that gaggia group that was posted.
bendyminge

Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 3:00pm

Thanks brianl. Yeah, I got the Mini Mill in the post this morning and it did get pretty tiring, so hooked it up to my drill in the end just for kicks, but it was too hard to keep it at a low enough speed using the variable trigger, so back to manual! It'll have to do until the grinder fund is healthy enough. That said, it did make a great brew and I pulled a 25 second shot in the end!
I counted from the moment I flicked the switch though, is that correct?!
Xeno

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 6:56pm

bendyminge Said:

Thanks brianl. Yeah, I got the Mini Mill in the post this morning and it did get pretty tiring, so hooked it up to my drill in the end just for kicks, but it was too hard to keep it at a low enough speed using the variable trigger, so back to manual! It'll have to do until the grinder fund is healthy enough. That said, it did make a great brew and I pulled a 25 second shot in the end!

Posted January 6, 2014 link

Yup.  Use a timer!  If you don't have one, your cellphone should.
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Drip: chemex
Posted Tue Jan 7, 2014, 8:03am

bendyminge Said:

thats a good place to start to see if youre in 'golden rule range'.

It helps to watch the extraction and eventually you'll know when it blondes. That's when you want to stop the pull (timer is just a guideline).
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Tue Jan 7, 2014, 10:51am

As a rule the "golden rule" is a misnomer.  It's a sort of shortcut expression regarding espresso brew ratio, %TDS, yield, and a bunch of other technical stuff which requires some reading to understand; and some expensive gear to get (some of) the measurements right.  

Not trying to be confusing or make things complicated; but it's entirely possible to pull great shots which fall well outside the golden rule; and wretched shots which fall in the center of its "sweet spot."  That's partly (and only partly) because there are a lot of other things going on which can make a shot good or bad.

By way of a few examples, you can overdose and grind too coarse (under extraction); under dose and grind too fine (over extraction); grind too fine, but get channeling (mix of under and over extraction) brew way too hot (over extraction); or brew way too cold (under extraction), and still get golden rule times and volumes.  In other words, in order to work as a rule, the "golden rule" presupposes that you're doing everything else right.  

Sadly, if you're thinking in terms of the "golden rule" as a rule you really need to chase, you're probably too much of a noob to get good temps or good distributions.  The best you can say about the "golden rule" is that it gives you some insight into whether or not you might have a grind/dose/tamp issue.  

As a sort of golden rule about the golden rule... if:
  1. Your extraction times are way too short, you definitely have a problem -- most likely under extraction; and
  2. Your extraction times are too long, you may or may not have a problem.  But even if taste says "no problem," in the interests of consistency you may want to futz with grind and dose to try and get your shots consistent, while concentrating on good temp and distribution; and
  3. If there's one thing more important than any other, one thing you really want to keep consistent while you're futzing with grind and dose, it's the space between the screen and top of the puck, because it determines the depth of the coffee column in a given basket.  

The real espresso golden rule is that if it tastes like crap it is crap, and that means you're going to have to start looking for reasons; but if it tastes good, no matter what else is going on, fuhgeddaboudit.

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue Jan 7, 2014, 11:57am

bendyminge Said:

That said, it did make a great brew and I pulled a 25 second shot in the end!

25 seconds can be from switch or from first drip and you will get opinions both sides. Consistency is most important.  I time from first drip and that is about 6 - 8 second after switch on Gaggia.  Since both spouts are from a center single spout, it does not really matter which side gets more.  Leveling may be part of the issue.  You can look and see if flow is even out of the screen.

What is in the cup counts and may be affected by various numbers.

I use about 17 - 17.5 gms coffee for about 30- 35 gms out put.  You can/should fill the basket until you just barely see a central indent in the wet puck.  The dry puck will be well below the screen.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > 25 Seconds....  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.304954051971)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+