Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
25 Seconds....
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > 25 Seconds....  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
bendyminge

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Jan 3, 2014, 10:40am
Subject: 25 Seconds....

Hello, I'm new as a member, but have been following your advice for a few months now whilst deciding which espresso machine to buy. I bought a Gaggia Classic from Amazon Warehouse deals for 140, which was a steal considering it was unused, but opened! I'm still saving for a grinder, but am sure I'll be asking for advice on that too when the time comes.
My question here is, I keep seeing this 25-30 second ultimate espresso time, but I just don't know what that is. I'm assuming it's how long it takes to pull a perfect espresso, but if I waited that long, I'd fill a mug, let alone an espresso shot cup!
Any advice on what this actually entails would be greatly appreciated, I'm hoping this will be a starting point in a long and productive relationship with coffee brewing! Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
caffeinatedjen

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera B707
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Fri Jan 3, 2014, 11:33am
Subject: Re: 25 Seconds....

Yes, the 25 second thing, also known as the Golden Rule, is how long it should take a double shot to fill a two ounce cup. If you are getting more than that, your shot will be really underextracted. The solutions are grinding finer, tamping more firmly, and checking your grounds distribution, try one at a time so as not to change more than one variable. You say you don't have a grinder, that is probably the problem.
bendyminge

Posted Fri Jan 3, 2014, 11:50am

Yeah, grinder is next on the list, but taxman comes first! Thanks for the reply though, that kind of sums up what I was thinking, but good to hear it from someone else. I'm getting some fresh ground tomorrow from a local supplier so am hoping that'll make a difference. Cheers.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Jan 3, 2014, 11:51am

+1

also, you need to have fresh beans once you do get a grinder.  since you are (no doubt) using preground beans, you are stuck with highly ovedosing and tamping as hard as you possibly can.  this probably won't work though.  if you have a pressurized pf it'll have to be used for your preground until you can get a grinder.  However, if you can spare the equivalent of about $40-50USD, you can get a manual (hand) grinder and then work on getting the proper grind and dose for desired extraction time using fresh beans and a non-pressurized pf.  This wold be most desirable until you can afford a decent electric grinder.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
bendyminge

Posted Fri Jan 3, 2014, 12:12pm

Hario Mini Mill ordered, so we'll see how that goes. Now, about the pressurised PF.....does that mean I have to start making adjustments to the machine to change the pressure output, or can I just purchase a new PF and job done? Cheers.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 10:57am

Has you Classic arrived at your home?  I was under the impression that it now comes with both pressurized and non-pressurized pfs? If you only have pressurized, I think it's actually easily converted to normal (non-pressurized)...and there are threads on that process. However, if you want to get really good, you'll benefit a lot from a bottomless pf handle.

In general, one doesn't adjust pressure output on the machine until a problem is detected (or until all other things point to the problem being machine pressure).  I think there's a G Classic owners' thread, that would include a ton of great info for you to start with.

Also, read Easy Guide to Better Espresso at Home...article 12 under "how to" on www.espressomyespresso.com

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
IntrepidQ3

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: Royal Balance Syphon
Roaster: Hottop+TC4C
Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 1:31pm

There is a group that might be helpful for you. Gaggiausersgroup.com

Lots of information related to your classic and how to mods.

Getting non pressurized baskets will help a lot. Also making sure the pressure is correct is another big aspect of this. Since yours has never been used it is probably set to 12 bar, as all are out of the box. You want to be at 9 bar. There is information for this on this site and on group I mentioned.

Happy brewing!
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 3:45pm

Welcome to CG Ben.  Nice to have another Classic user.  In the US we get a single and double pressurized or "Perfect Crema" baskets. They have a double bottom and a single hole on the outside bottom.  They work with a device in the outflow of the portafilter.  We also get a double non-pressurized basket, single wall bottom.  Most of us do not bother with single espressos as they are more difficult to brew and, why bother, drink the double :)

Until you get a grinder, use pressurized baskets and do not start with mods.  You will need the OEM pressure for a pressurized basket.

Baskets are relatively cheap, so if you did not get a non-pressurized, get a double basket or two, non ridged.

You will need a 58 mm tamper to make real espresso, not the small plastic throw away that is included.  It is also fine for pressurized, only.

Make sure that you get an acceptable grinder, not acceptable because of the manufacturer label, but properly researched.  Look at fine steps or stepless.  Many will grind fine enough but adjust finely enough to stay in tune.

Read the Esperessomyespresso article suggested by Ron.

Start reading about OPV adjustment and Silva V1 steam wand, but you do not need/want to do anything until get the grinder and tamper.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
bendyminge

Posted Sun Jan 5, 2014, 4:30am

Hi guys, thanks for the replies, I will check out the suggested threads and see what to do first. The steam wand must go though, I can't. use it with the plastic helper thingy, but without it, it's just too short!

The photo shows what comes with the Classic over here, I think it's a double and an ESE pod basket. They both have a single hole in them. Am I right?

bendyminge: image.jpg
(Click for larger image)
IntrepidQ3

Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: Royal Balance Syphon
Roaster: Hottop+TC4C
Posted Sun Jan 5, 2014, 7:51am

The Silvia V1 wand is the way to go, as D4F suggested.

You are correct those are the single and double pressurized filter baskets. I am sure that the single can be used for the ESE pod. You do not need to order a whole new PF, just non pressurized baskets. Once you get the non pressurized baskets you do not need use that little black nub that Gaggia calls something like Crema Enhancer or something.

Not sure if you aware of this site, espressoparts.com, but here it is. When you buy parts they will ship for free when you enter PARTSSHIPFREE in the discount code box.

Here is the Silvia wand: http://www.espressoparts.com/R_1054?&search_id=2310722

You can find baskets here also.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > 25 Seconds....  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.266094923019)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+