Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Help! getting a espresso machine...No clue!
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Help! getting a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
colocoffee

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Dec 20, 2013, 4:11pm
Subject: Help! getting a espresso machine...No clue!

Hello everybody, i need help. Newbies here! We are a coffee lovers family of 4, 2 love espressos and 2 love capuccino and latte. We all love vietnamese coffee the hot and cold versions, but on that we are experts to make it. However, We are looking to get a espresso maker machine but have no clue where to start. :S We are always in a rush and most of the time take our coffe with us on the road....we have been reading machine reviews on the web but actually we dont know what to do cause all we did was just getting more confused. I copied these basic questions from a conversation in another window, though it was useful....
Budget:$200 - $350
Do you own a grinder: yes
What are your needs: Multiple consecutive shots(2-4/d), milk based drinks(at least one daily), daily use at least every single morning, small space, easy, quick and no messy process.
what is your experience:just as a drinker! :) None as baristas! :(
Where are you located:Toronto, Canada (scarborough)
In mind options: Breville Duo temp, De longhi Pump espresso with autofroth.... dont wanna go to the pods ones.....
we want to take advantage of christmas deals so id really appreciate your help guys.....
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Fri Dec 20, 2013, 6:04pm
Subject: Re: Help! getting a espresso machine...No clue!

4 drinks at a time, and two needing steamed milk, and in a hurry, and $350 tops?  Assuming that everyone wants doubles. Sounds  like a formula for frustration. The machines in the range would have a time keeping up temperature wise and there is a delay going from pulling shots to steaming because the boiler has to heat up, then the time to cool down after steaming to make more espresso. Even if you pull 4 shots, and then let them sit while waiting for the steam to come to temperature, it is going to take some time. If a friend came to me with that scenario (and not knowing any more than you have just outlined in your post) I would tell them to find a different method of brewing other than espresso.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Fri Dec 20, 2013, 9:14pm

When you say you own a grinder, what is the make and model of the grinder you own? Unless you made an exceptionally prescient purchase, the odds that it's a grinder that is capable of grinding for espresso are pretty slim. I suspect that you're going to have to radically change your plan, your budget, or both.

As Randy said, what you're asking for doesn't map to your current budget, and you would quickly be climbing a wall of frustration.
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Sat Dec 21, 2013, 12:54am

Clueless?

Here's one.

z0mbie: unicorn_espreso.jpg.jpg
colocoffee

Posted Sat Dec 21, 2013, 4:24pm

thanks for answering so quick guys. Definitely as i said before we have no idea how this process is done since it will be our first time, however i dont wanna give up on the idea of an espresso machine and maybe more details would help to get more advices. This is the thing: we do not all brew it at the same time, theres 3 shifts (as a way to say) with one hour of difference between one and the other, the first one in the morning with milk-1 cup, the second: 2 espresso shots, the third and last one with milk again-1 cup....Now, since we cannot change our budget, what would be the best option for us to invest having in mind this dynamic.... BTW the grinder is a Cuisinart Supreme Grind with 18 different level....:S what can i say, i guess its not the most expensive one but it works fine for us....
On the worst case scenario if we have to "upgrade" our budget which i think would be the last thing we would do, how much are we talking about????
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sat Dec 21, 2013, 5:15pm

You won't get anything that you'll want to keep, in that price range, so buy whatever is cheapest.
Use it with your grinder until you decide that you need better and need to upgrade.  At that point, get a better grinder first and find the limitations of the disposable espresso machine.  When you need to replace the espresso machine, consider at least $500 for a better disposable, like a Mokita, or $1000 for a Single Boiler Dual Purpose machine with a decent boiler...  Or $2000+ for an espresso machine.
I know I sound like an asshole for answering honestly, but saying you want an espresso machine for $300 is like saying "Help me, Guys. I want a car to commute 1 hour each way every day, and I want it to be a good car. My budget is $2000."  Sorry.
Get a little disposable, whatever you find locally. Experiment with it.  If you really get into it you can always buy better.  Like owning your bike before you get your drivers' license.
MikeReilly

Espresso: Cimbali Junior Gaggia...
Grinder: Pharos CC45 Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cuisinart
Roaster: Behmor, I-Roast 2, Popper
Posted Sat Dec 21, 2013, 5:50pm

You could try a Gaggia as a starter machine for espresso.  Your grinder really won't do the trick for good consistent espresso (in fact I suspect it won't grind fine enough at all for espresso), but you *could* get a decent hand grinder (Pe-de, Zassenhaus, Kyocera) that would be serviceable for espresso, or you could get a brilliant hand grinder like the Pharos if your budget could manage it.

You can often find good deals on Gaggias on ebay or craigslist used.  My first pump espresso machine was a Gaggia "Espresso" that I got on ebay for about $100.00.  The downside to these single boiler dual use (SBDU) is that you must do all of your espresso pours before you steam your milk, plus there's a delay while the boiler heats up to steaming temperature once you flip the switch to be able to start steaming and finally, the temperature stability (even intra-shot) is not optimal at all.  Still, you can pour some reasonably good espresso moderately regularly.  If you are serious about wanting to make your own espresso and cappuccino daily, I recommend saving up some cash and getting a used HX machine and a good grinder (vario, mazzer mini or better in electric and a Pharos or HG1 for hand grinder).  This latter option will cost over $1000.00, but if you use them for a few years, that turns out to be a very low cost per drink over that time and the improved drink quality and ease of use is more than worth it for most of us.  Almost everyone that sticks with it upgrades eventually anyway.
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Sun Dec 22, 2013, 3:48am

Well, if it helps, here's what I bought when I started out:

Machine: $170 - MyPressi Twist v2
Grinder: $30 - Hario Mini Mill Slim Coffee Grinder
Tamper: $80 - 53mm Reg Barber Tamper
Frother: $5 - 2xAA frothing wand
Frothing Pitcher: $20  Rattleware Spouted 16-Ounce Bell Pitcher
Scale: $20 - American Weigh Scales AMW-SC-2KG Digital Pocket Scale
Knockbox: $25 - Dreamfarm Grindenstein 4-Inch Espresso Stein, Silver

Coincidentally, all of these things I bought comes out to exactly $350, which was your budget.

There are a few other things I've bought along the way:
-cups/saucers
-bean storage containers
-measured shot glasses
-lithium batteries
-N2o chargers (8gm)

With such a set up, you can make superb espresso, comparable to shots made by a high-end machine.  
Take a look at an espresso shot I made using the MyPressi Twist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap1Z69p8tdk

And for lattes, a frothing wand makes the best microfoam required for latte art.  Latte art, of course, does take some practice! It always looks easier than it actually is but mastering it really signifies your expertise as a barista.
Check it out -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hby0HmVCno
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 8:09am

His plan is a good starter plan and has the added advantage of being your travel coffee set up if/when you upgrade.  I really hate to tell people to buy something I know they will not keep.  But that is what most people around here do.  I went another way, I went for used low end HX.  I knew I could be happy with it for a longer time than anything I could afford new.   But even used I was in for about 1k with the grinder and accessories.   So, you can see there is wisdom in getting a starter set up you can travel with.

And the scale is great, don't leave that off the list no matter what you do.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Buckley

Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 8:56am

Let's cut colocoffee a little $lack for a tight budget.
The plastic tamper that comes with the mypressi is fine - you will not notice the lack of an $80 Reg Barber tamper, but you may like the feel of a metal tamper, which can be found for about $40.
I have no counter space for a knockbox, so the bottom of the sink serves just fine.
Yes, a scale is helpful.
The hario slim will work fine but it is manual and will give your arms their aerobic workout, especially for 2 shots and 2 caps.  BTW,  I would not recommend putting a drill onto it and motorizing it - you will destroy it.
Take the $100 you shaved off of the basic setup and save up for a good espresso grinder.
I wholeheartedly endorse using freshly ground premium beans and competent machines to make good coffe drinks, but, I have to admit that there are Vietnamese Bahn Mi shops that serve V coffees from liquid concentrate that are very tasty and very much to my liking (in that milieu).  If the basic espresso setup does not come together for your family in time, there is always that temporizing plan while you save up for a machine.

Now I, too, am going to encourge you to spend even more money, to realize your coffee dreams:
The important datum that has been glossed over is that your family is always in a rush.  I would suggest using the liquid coffee/milk frother route and save up for a good semiautomatic of full automatic.  You will still get above average shots and caps and the family dynamic will not have to revolve around Mom's or Dad's (or the young ones') barista skills.
If I read you correctly, you do not want this to be a hobby, you want satisfying results and have come to a bunch of hobbyists for advice.
There are likely one or more commercial coffee machine maintenance service shops in the Toronto area that deal with espresso machines.  I am willing to bet that they have reconditioned autos and semi-autos that your family should consider saving up for.  Then you will also have the comfort of knowing that there is a local expert who can fix your machine within a convenient drive.  All espresso machines require some degree of maintenance and repair - even Mypressis.

Buckley
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Help! getting a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.271747112274)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+