Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
letting espresso brew until coffee cup is full. Is this OK for americano style?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > letting espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Aristoc

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Dec 19, 2013, 6:50am
Subject: Re: letting espresso brew until coffee cup is full.

Sorry but I looked at my grinder again and it is the Maestro Plus. With 40 steps of adjustments. the instruction manual also says it is for espresso. from 0-14.

So I think my grinder is up to the task.

In the meantime i reassembled my portafilter to keep the pressurization valve. And I will have to play more and experiement around before I ask too many more questions. I'll see what I can get out of this set up for now.
 View Profile Link to this post
Javadawg

Espresso: Starbucks/Saeco Barista
Grinder: Starbucks Burr
Posted Thu Dec 19, 2013, 7:14am

Here is a great link on a coffeegeek review of Baratza's full line of grinders which at the time did not include the Maestro *plus* just the standard Maestro. Still, some food for thought and a great read with information on how proper espresso grind should look and feel. Click Here (www.coffeegeek.com)
Aristoc

Posted Thu Dec 19, 2013, 7:54am

that's a really great review. thank you. they teseted the maestro , not the maestro plus. i wonder if grind level is better on the plus to the point of espresso grind?

I had a nice 'americano this morning'. I am now fililng my cup half with water and the other half with the espresso brew, from the pressurized portafilter. the taste is very good, perhaps better than with i brewed completely up to an 8 oz cup.

I had nice rich 'foam' or 'crema' on top. I don't know which one anymore. it lasted a while, maybe 5 mintues or a little more.

I guess I am a cup of coffee drinker with an extra splash of foamy stuff on top who doesn't like to use drip coffee makers and owns a nice entry level grinder.

I have to say that on weekend, i go for the special capucini's and occasionaly an espresso but they are not that tasty here. too bitter or too sour usually. its true.

i am going to keep practicing and figure out some routine. to see what happens.

thank you
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Dec 19, 2013, 8:01am

PLEASE hear us, the grinder is NOT up to the task of espresso, regardless of what the advert copy or user directions say. IT IS NOT AN ESPRESSO GRINDER!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Aristoc

Posted Fri Dec 20, 2013, 5:30am

well my friends sorry but I am not going to buy another  grinder at $300-400 to operate my $59 Peomia :)  

Perhaps in the future I would upgrade my equipment but not for now.

I am getting enough coffee to satisfy me and so I will live with what I have.

Perhaps I will find a manual grinder as mentioned somewhere that is inexpensive.
Buckley

Posted Fri Dec 20, 2013, 5:36am

You will, I am fairly certain.
B
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Dec 20, 2013, 7:09am

Aristoc Said:

Sorry but I looked at my grinder again and it is the Maestro Plus. With 40 steps of adjustments. the instruction manual also says it is for espresso. from 0-14.

So I think my grinder is up to the task.

In the meantime i reassembled my portafilter to keep the pressurization valve. And I will have to play more and experiement around before I ask too many more questions. I'll see what I can get out of this set up for now.

Posted December 19, 2013 link

No, it's not even remotely close to capable for espresso even though plenty of cheap machines say they are. What they mean by that is "pressurized" portafilter espresso machines that don't even make espresso. A $50 grinder can choke out a $5k espresso machine, but just b/c it can do that doesn't mean it'll work, a lot of people assume fine grinding = espresso. Real espresso grinders not only grind fine, but their burr sets allow them the right grind quality, fines control which is where the cheap grinders fail, and step-less adjustment etc.

If your filling a cup with half coffee and half water that's not an Americano if your using an 8oz cup, that won't even taste like coffee, 4oz from a pressurized basket or any basket is horribly over-extracted.

Like I said your way better off keeping the machine as is for your shots, and getting an Aeropress since you want a full cup of coffee. Aeropress is like $25 and makes top notch coffee and your Maestro will work with it. If you still want to play with your machine you can depressurize it, grab a Hario Slim or Skerton, do the locknut mod to make them step-less and you'll be able to use your machine depressurized w/o buying an expensive grinder.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Dec 20, 2013, 12:21pm

Aristoc Said:

I am getting enough coffee to satisfy me and so I will live with what I have.

Posted December 20, 2013 link

This is the most important thing. Please understand that we're not trying to get you to support the coffee industry, but rather only trying to help you understand what your missing.  In the long run, you have to balance what you want and need with your budget and decide what's best for you.

And if you really do want to make a big improvement and stay in your budget, then take Chris' advice...

CMIN Said:

...Like I said your way better off keeping the machine as is for your shots, and getting an Aeropress since you want a full cup of coffee. Aeropress is like $25 and makes top notch coffee and your Maestro will work with it. If you still want to play with your machine you can depressurize it, grab a Hario Slim or Skerton, do the locknut mod to make them step-less and you'll be able to use your machine depressurized w/o buying an expensive grinder.

Posted December 20, 2013 link

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
johndrobison

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mahlkongi K30 Vario &...
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Kalita Wave
Posted Sun Dec 22, 2013, 11:15am

Absolutely you can do this. It's not an Americano but more commonly referred to as a Coffee Shot and with certain beans, I prefer it to an Americano and am not a big fan of the Americano anyway.

Check out this discussion on H-B and definitely watch the Matt Perger video that started the conversation:
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Also, Sprudge recently posted Matt's tips - Coffee Shot 101
Click Here (sprudge.com)

Don't believe people who tell you this style will always result in bad coffee. With the right equipment and technique, it's quite alright! :)
Aristoc

Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014, 1:18pm

Thanks for the interesting links.

Now that I have had a chance to get use to my new machine, what I have been doing for about a week and a half is
grinding my favorite beens on the finest setting of the Baratza Maestro Plus machine that I can.
The coffee machine/mug and portafilter are pre heated. I then fill the portafilter and do a light tamp. The porta filter is still pressurized.
I brew a 25 second shot and then I add my hot 6 oz of hot water.

So far this has produced what I believe is a nice crema and a nice tasting coffee. Not bitter not sour. Not bad. I no longer even have to add cream or sugar like I used to do for years. I hope that I can keep this up.

I have to try the 'coffee shot' method described in the link some day with the right beans for sure.

Thanks.!

johndrobison Said:

Absolutely you can do this. It's not an Americano but more commonly referred to as a Coffee Shot and with certain beans, I prefer it to an Americano and am not a big fan of the Americano anyway.

Check out this discussion on H-B and definitely watch the Matt Perger video that started the conversation:
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Also, Sprudge recently posted Matt's tips - Coffee Shot 101
Click Here (sprudge.com)

Don't believe people who tell you this style will always result in bad coffee. With the right equipment and technique, it's quite alright! :)

Posted December 22, 2013 link

showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > letting espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.312544822693)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+