Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
how to pull a bright/fruity espresso
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > how to pull a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Dec 8, 2013, 2:08am
Subject: Re: how to pull a bright/fruity espresso

brianl Said:

Now I'll buy the same coffee from them used in the alt espresso (they roast in the shop) but I can never get the taste they have.

Posted November 24, 2013 link

Are you sure you're drinking the same coffee?  I've found that most coffee houses I've been to use different blends from what they actually sell, and most do not tell you this point.  

If you want bright/fruity espresso, you will want to try a blend with at least 50% Ethiopian beans, which are very fruity.  

I know grinders have something to do with it, but it's not a huge difference given you have a very capable grinder already.
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Dec 8, 2013, 7:34am

I disagree. I think grinders do make a huge difference...especially when skipping classes...i.e., if you're using a Rocky or Preciso, and then jump to a Super Jolly class grinder (skipping the Mini class). In fact, I can say from experience that even NOT skipping the mini class shows a huge difference in the cup, when going from entry level up. Now, I've not gone from a Vario to a Major, but I suspect the difference is again huge. If that shop is serving those beans via their Robur, there's going to be another huge change.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sun Dec 8, 2013, 1:19pm

z0mbie Said:

How does 18g in and 31g out make 75%?

Posted December 8, 2013 link

Well, I'm talking about brewing ratios actually, but I'm not thinking about it in the way I probably should be. Here's my math:

18 grams in / 18 grams out would be 100 percent.. Or 1:1  .. That's easy enough to understand.

18 grams in / 36 grams out would be 200 percent output, or 100 percent over what you put in.   (18 * 2) .. Or 2:1, water to beans.
Inverting this ratio, you get 1:2, or 50 percent of beans to water.

18 grams in / 31.5 grams out is a brewing ratio of 175 percent, or 75 percent over what you put in. (18 * 1.75)  Or 1.75:1 water to beans.
Inverting this ratio, you get 1:1.75 or about 57 percent of beans to water, but that's just confusing.

I find it easier to work on the idea of water to beans ratio because it's easier for me to do the math in my head when I'm standing at the machine
thinking that I pulled a shot which was roughly about 70 percent over what I put in.

The brewing ratio guide chart, here: Click here thinks of things in percentages,
but only after you invert the ratio. I think it's confusing because it means that the more water you brew with the same amount of beans, the lower the percentage.

I hope that clears things up.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
brianl

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Dec 8, 2013, 1:31pm

z0mbie Said:

Are you sure you're drinking the same coffee?  I've found that most coffee houses I've been to use different blends from what they actually sell, and most do not tell you this point.  

If you want bright/fruity espresso, you will want to try a blend with at least 50% Ethiopian beans, which are very fruity.  

I know grinders have something to do with it, but it's not a huge difference given you have a very capable grinder already.

Posted December 8, 2013 link

I have dialogue with the baristas, so unless they are flat up lying for some reason i'm sure they match. There is a huge roaster in the coffee shop so I doubt they aren't roasting in shop like they say.

Yeah. I've pulled single origin from Ethiopia. The great grinder debate is always an interesting one.

Like I said before, I've been leaning on the blonding instead of time. I've been purposely moving the blonding time into the 30 second range to intensify the flavor. Surprisingly, I've been able to mask the chocolates in the Black Cat and i'm getting a lot of cherry.
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun Dec 8, 2013, 2:59pm

I suspect the miscalculation was a typo or other hasty error. But in case it was based on a misunderstanding, or if anyone happened to miss it and the definitional formula needs restating, extraction ratio is calculated as dose/yield.  Thus:
  • 18g dose -> 24g yield = 18/24 = 75% extraction ratio; but
  • 18g dose -> 31g yield = 18/31 = 58% extraction ratio.  

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jonr

Posted Sun Dec 8, 2013, 3:50pm

It's best to call it "brewing ratio" and leave words like extraction and yield out of it.  They are used for something very different.
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > how to pull a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.277580976486)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+