Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
how to pull a bright/fruity espresso
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > how to pull a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Nov 24, 2013, 10:40am
Subject: how to pull a bright/fruity espresso

So there is a coffee shop down the street that does an alternate espresso where they use single origin and certain strange blends that get an incredible fruitiness and brightness. They use a LA marzocco with a robur/major grinder.

Now I'll buy the same coffee from them used in the alt espresso (they roast in the shop) but I can never get the taste they have.

Now, can the machine and grinder account for so much of a different flavor profile? I have a flat burr grinder which is known the deep notes but I find it strange how the brightness eludes me no matter what I dose. I have tried doses from 15-21 grams. In line with what the shop said they use.

Any help or suggestions?
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Nov 24, 2013, 11:42am
Subject: Re: how to pull a bright/fruity espresso

La Marzocco and Robur grinder, hard to compete with that.  They can probably pressure profile on that La Marzocco and your grinder can't really match the taste of the Robur.  I can't get the butter flavor from Ristretto Roasters on my vario-Oscar combo, I need to try again now that I have the K30 and see if I can even come close..

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sun Nov 24, 2013, 11:51am

Vario is an awesome grinder for the money, especially for the deeper notes and taste I prefer. But the Robur uses huge conical burr sets, like night and day difference. The big conicals can bring similar deep notes as flat burrs but they excell even more with the brighter beans/blends.
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun Nov 24, 2013, 12:13pm

Everything else being equal (which it never is) conical burr espresso grinders tend to produce a "livlier" espresso than flat burr grinders.  It's possible that's the difference, but I doubt it.  If the difference between your coffee and the shop's is machinery; it's probably more about other aspects of quality, size and design than the difference between flat and conical.  

By the way Brian, what kind of grinder and machine are you using?

If the shop can get a pronounced acidity out of the beans, you probably can too by dialing in the basic parameters.  Emphasis on "probably."

Here are the basics (which you probably already know):

Temp:
The first thing to adjust with your home setup is temp.  You want to adjust the temp down until your shot tastes sour, than ramp the temp back up to where "too sour" turns to "acidy."

Degree of Extraction:
The second adjustment is to increase the degree of extraction towards "lungo."  Try going just past the point of striping -- but not as far as transparency.  Next try going the other way, and cut the shot when it's still showing pronounced striping.  If you're using a spouted pf, the easiest way to see it is by shining a flashlight on the spout.   Conventional wisdom is that a slight over-extraction is more acidy -- but my experience is that (a) it depends on the beans; and (b) that "balance" is always best.  

Dose and Grind -- aka Extraction Ratio:
You've already been fooling around with dose.  The big thing to understand about dose is that it doesn't exist in isolation, but is just one part of extraction ratio.  Increase the dose to whatever's the max your basket can hold and still maintain adequate headroom.  Coarsen the grind a little to keep a good flow rate.  That will increase the extraction ratio (towards ristretto), and should bring out whatever terroir is in the coffee.  

Weigh the dose, weigh the shot, and calculate your extraction ratio (shot/dose, expressed as a percentage).  Note that you want a scale which provides at least 0.5g resolution

Putting it All Together:
Tricky -- especially as I'm not pulling shots using your beans, nor am I tasting with your palate.  As you can see, my first suggestion with degree of extraction was to tilt towards lungo, while with extraction ratio I suggested you tilt towards ristretto.  What can I tell you?  Sometimes going in two different directions at the same time gets you where you want to be.  Other times it gets you thrown off the horse.  

Anyway, first temp; then degree of extraction; and finally, extraction ratio (i.e., dose and grind).    

Note that it's critical to isolate variables so that you're working with one thing at a time, before you try putting them all together.  For instance, when you're fooling around with the extraction ratio by changing dose, It's important to maintain temp, and degree of extraction, as well as the yield weight.

One damn thing at a damn time.  

If it were easy to pull really good shots, there wouldn't be so much bad coffee.  From your question, I gather you have the palate to push your beans and equipment as far as they can take you.  That ought to be some comfort since palate is by far the biggest part of getting it right.

Good luck my brother,
BDL
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Nov 24, 2013, 3:01pm

OP is using

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun Nov 24, 2013, 5:07pm

Some of the difference is machinery.  

That doesn't mean you shouldn't use the ordinary tools of flavor shaping - temp, grind and dose -- to push your setup as far as it can go without falling into "sour."  Worse comes to worst, you can always dial it back.  

BDL
brianl

Posted Sun Nov 24, 2013, 5:27pm

Thanks guys for the comments and advice. I am very familiar with changing up parameters to taste but this taste has been one to elude me.

I always did know that the conical burrs give a 'bright and fruity taste' but i never really considered that it might account for such a difference. I know that getting the exact taste would require an update but i thought i'd be able to get in the ballpark.

I have a few more comments.

1) boar, you mentioned going towards the lungo territory for a brighter and fruitier taste while keeping it in ristretto territory? The only way I can think of doing this is using less coffee but most people I've talked to said that you get this flavor profile by up dosing (apparently not since it's still elusive to me). Although i can see there is a happy medium in all this.

Just to reiterate here is my methodology at the present. temp: I have the PID set to give me an equivalent 201 F in the portafilter. I tend to extract at about 100%. (18gs of beans for 18gs of espresso). Now I have a 18g VST basket. with the fluffy vario grinds, it tends to feel overstuffed but looks okay after the tamp. Would you have any suggested changes to achieve my flavor profile?

2) Now, say I wanted to get a conical burr grinder, is there an equivalent in the Vario's range? I know the preciso is one but that grinders never really interested me.
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Mon Nov 25, 2013, 1:46am

brianl Said:

I tend to extract at about 100%. (18gs of beans for 18gs of espresso).

Posted November 24, 2013 link

Stupid question... What happens when you extract at about 75%? ie. 18g in, 31g out? How does that change the flavor over a 100 percent extraction?

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
DavecUK

Posted Tue Nov 26, 2013, 9:37am

Try and use a dry processed coffee in your blend, such as a yemen or a harrar etc..
brianl

Posted Tue Nov 26, 2013, 10:01am

qualin Said:

Stupid question... What happens when you extract at about 75%? ie. 18g in, 31g out? How does that change the flavor over a 100 percent extraction?

Posted November 25, 2013 link

It's usually more intense and syrupy (obv because less liquid). I mean, it's really hard for me to explain in words, ha.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > how to pull a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.29306101799)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+