Espresso: Questions and Answers
how to pull a bright/fruity espresso
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > how to pull a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Posted Tue Nov 26, 2013, 10:04am
Subject: Re: how to pull a bright/fruity espresso

(

DavecUK Said:

Try and use a dry processed coffee in your blend, such as a yemen or a harrar etc..

Posted November 26, 2013 link

that might be a start. But like i said, i'm using a blend that a coffee shop roasts and pulls so it should match up kinda.

However, since it seems like I want more acidity (Click Here (www.home-barista.com)), I might want to lower the temperature on my PID (seems like i had it backwards for some reason). The link says, "Lower temperatures accentuate acidic origin flavors, while higher temperatures accentuate bitter roast flavors"

now, i'm not sure whats implied by 'bitter roast flavors'. not the most flattering term. ha
 View Profile Link to this post
adie
adie

Posted Tue Nov 26, 2013, 11:43am

some great information here- I appreciate the info given and hope I can apply this to my own machine! Thanks all!
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Tue Nov 26, 2013, 10:42pm

brianl Said:

I might want to lower the temperature on my PID The link says, "Lower temperatures accentuate acidic origin flavors, while higher temperatures accentuate bitter roast flavors"

From the best of my knowledge, I was always under the understanding that darker roasts should use a lower temperature while lighter roasts should use a higher temperature.

Other people on this forum tried playing with temperature and always end up resetting the machine back to 200 F and just adjusting their pull times instead. It would make sense to me that
darker roasts would benefit from a shorter extraction time while lighter roasts would need a longer extraction time. In relation to that, dark roasts requiring a small dosage, light roasts
requiring a large dosage. (ie. Typical dark Italian Espresso blends for a 14 gram dose, while Light roasted single origins for roughly a 19 gram dose.)

Thoughts?

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
brianl

Posted Wed Nov 27, 2013, 7:50am

qualin Said:

From the best of my knowledge, I was always under the understanding that darker roasts should use a lower temperature while lighter roasts should use a higher temperature.

Other people on this forum tried playing with temperature and always end up resetting the machine back to 200 F and just adjusting their pull times instead. It would make sense to me that
darker roasts would benefit from a shorter extraction time while lighter roasts would need a longer extraction time. In relation to that, dark roasts requiring a small dosage, light roasts
requiring a large dosage. (ie. Typical dark Italian Espresso blends for a 14 gram dose, while Light roasted single origins for roughly a 19 gram dose.)

Thoughts?

well, the tastes of fruit notes and brightness usually side on being more sour than bitter. Therefore, in order to get slightly sour (think lemon), you can either lower the temperature or, like you said, have a longer extraction. The PID is easier to adjust than a huge change in my grinder ha. I've made a couple and I have to say they are pretty good. I don't have the roast right now to really attack the brightness.

Now, why people usually say to have higher temperature, is to reduce the brightness. Only within the last few years, have bright coffees actually been considered popular ha.
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Wed Nov 27, 2013, 11:04am

Couple things I didn't see mentioned:

Make sure brew pressure is adjusted to 9 bar. (..or 8-9 bar range) works much better than 11 bar range.
Make sure you keep the group and portafilter very clean; nothing will muddy coffee flavors quicker than this.

Edit; Fruit forward coffee usually will have a narrow peak around 3-10 days post roast. After that the acidity and more delicate flavors will be muted. Make sure you are working at home with the same beans (and roast batch) that you tasted at the cafe.
brianl

Posted Wed Dec 4, 2013, 7:29am

still trying, however, my better half chose some deeper flavored coffee this time around.

Yeah, I have my espresso machine tuned to 10 BAR static, i believe this is around 9 BAR dynamic.

When you talk clean, are you talking about general backflushing after a shot and just whiping down. Or do you let soak often in cafiza or something similar?

I usually get my coffee within a couple days post roast. I can't gurantee it's the same roast batch but all things else equal. They seem to roast almost everything pretty light.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Dec 4, 2013, 9:07am

cleaning the group and pf basket can be done by rinsing immediately after use with water from the group (after every session).  Basicaly, flush the group and use it's runoff to rinse the basket. After that, do water only backflushes until the water comes out clean.  Every few days or so, take off the shower screen, and if it looks dirty soak it in Cafitza or similar and clean the group beneath it. Since you're doing a shower screen soak, you may as well throw your baskets in the bowl too. Jim at 1st-lijne recommends detergent backflushes after every 50 shots (hmmm, maybe that's every 70?...worth checking the number on his site, as well as reading his reasoning).

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
brianl

Posted Sat Dec 7, 2013, 1:31pm

oh nice. I rinse the basket after a shot with the group and I thought i was creative ;). I always heard not to back flush with detergent all that often so I kept it to every few weeks but do a water back flush after every shot.

So I completely abandoned using a timer to control my shots and i've been getting better results. I only use it as a reference to dial in the grind when something tastes off.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sat Dec 7, 2013, 9:06pm

yeah, that's about how I use my timer…but possibly more often than you use yours.  As the beans age, the shot finishes sooner unless you grind finer to compensate…I use my timer to help me watch for this…so I'm timing most first shots of each session - at least.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Sun Dec 8, 2013, 3:00am

qualin Said:

Stupid question... What happens when you extract at about 75%? ie. 18g in, 31g out? How does that change the flavor over a 100 percent extraction?

Posted November 25, 2013 link

Sorry it's a late post but I'm just catching up on my reading.  

How does 18g in and 31g out make 75%? Not trying to question your math.. Just wondering if there is another formula I'm not aware of.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > how to pull a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.32293009758)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+