Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Triple ristretto and coffee weight?
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Triple ristretto...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Blindpig
Blindpig
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Nov 20, 2013, 8:40pm
Subject: Triple ristretto and coffee weight?

We've recently upgraded our portafilters from spouted to bottomless. Our old baskets held 21 grams of coffee but our new baskets are very large and hold 25 grams if you fill them to the rim then level and tamp. I started experimenting with using this much coffee and have been able to create a nice sweet 2 oz shot in 25 seconds. I believe this is close to a triple ristretto though from doing some research and previous knowledge it seems like most people use 21 grams of coffee. Has anyone ever heard or have used 25 grams of coffee before. It does seem to fit in the basket quite nicely
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Nov 20, 2013, 8:54pm
Subject: Re: Triple ristretto and coffee weight?

Click Here (www.jimseven.com)

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 10:52pm

Pull is all about extraction ratio and degree of extraction.  You can control flow and time by balancing grind and dose.  As long as you keep the extraction ratio and degree constant you can increase dose and open grind (in a basket which allows the dose) without changing the character of the pull by much.  

Size of the pull, is -- of course -- controlled by size of the dose.  With a 21g dose, you should be able to pull what's nominally a ristretto in the 21g - 32g range; and with a 25g dose, the pulled ristretto should weigh 25g  - 37g.  Ish.  

While that's not enough to define the difference between a double and a triple for me, it could work for you.  

BDL
Blindpig
Blindpig

Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 6:05am

That helps.  We have a few baskets from our old portafilters that hold 21 grams.  I'm gonna pop them in and set the grind finer to see if i can achieve the same results.
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag

Posted Mon Nov 25, 2013, 7:09am

I think there’s nothing wrong if you use more than 21 grams if you are good enough to control or balance the flow in grinding and dosing coffee. Thus, everything lies in your control.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Mon Nov 25, 2013, 5:04pm

Blindpig Said:

Our old baskets held 21 grams of coffee but our new baskets are very large and hold 25 grams if you fill them to the rim then level and tamp. I started experimenting with using this much coffee and have been able to create a nice sweet 2 oz shot in 25 seconds.

Posted November 20, 2013 link

If you're happy with the result and you can handle the massive doses of caffeine, then by all means go with 25g dosing. But...just because the baskets hold a level 25g doesn't mean you need to use that much.

Think about "leveling" with a convex curved surface rather than a straightedge. That way you will uniformly remove some grounds below the rim and decrease dose. You can use Scottie Callaghan's tools or your own homemade version.

BTW, you may have noticed that coffees vary considerably in density, so a level 25g of one coffee can weigh a few grams more or less with a different coffee.

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Mon Nov 25, 2013, 6:54pm

andys Said:

Just because the baskets hold a level 25g doesn't mean you need to use that much.

Posted November 25, 2013 link

Yes and no.  Baskets and group heads can be quite fussy about how much headroom (space between screen and puck) works.  Too much or too little can be a problem.  So, in that sense the basket itself will be a big factor in the ideal dose.  

Think about "leveling" with a convex curved surface rather than a straightedge. That way you will uniformly remove some grounds below the rim and decrease dose.

The "Stockfleth maneuver" does much the same thing."  So does "NSEW" with a curved-bottom tamper.  

With all deference to the great Scotty Callaghan, a concave puck face is part of an idea whose time has passed.  Is anyone other than Callaghan still shaping the puck any way besides level?  

As a practical matter, good distribution will represent a few compromises dictated by your equipment.  My doser -- like many others -- puts "English" on the grunds.  It overloads the left side of the basket.  Consequently, I have to level with a slap shot when the basket has about 1/3 of the dose, to make sure there are no voids on the bottom; then finish filling and slap shot again before tamping.  No one else does that (nor, probably, should they).  There's nothing magic or even "right" about my ritual other than it's faster than a WDT, and works as well -- in my setup.

BTW, you may have noticed that coffees vary considerably in density, so a level 25g of one coffee can weigh a few grams more or less with a different coffee.

Probably as much or more variance stems from other factors, like tightness of the grind, age of the coffee, humidity, etc.

Also, in my experience, dosing by leveling the untamped coffee to the top of the basket usually means too high a dose.  But, as I said, it depends on how close the basket rim is too the group head.  

BDL
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Mon Nov 25, 2013, 8:16pm

boar_d_laze Said:

Baskets and group heads can be quite fussy about how much headroom (space between screen and puck) works.  Too much or too little can be a problem.  So, in that sense the basket itself will be a big factor in the ideal dose.  

I agree, but any filter basket that requires a 25 gram dose to function properly should be tossed in the garbage. There are plenty of better choices around.

boar_d_laze Said:

The "Stockfleth maneuver" does much the same thing."  So does "NSEW" with a curved-bottom tamper.  

Stockfleths yes, if one is well practiced. NSEW definitely does not.

boar_d_laze Said:

With all deference to the great Scotty Callaghan, a concave puck face is part of an idea whose time has passed.  Is anyone other than Callaghan still shaping the puck any way besides level?

Yup, me, every day, based on feedback from (1) observing bottomless portafilter flow patterns, and (2) measurements of extraction yield efficiency. After the scrape-off with the convex tool I settle the grounds a bit by tapping the pf straight down on the countertop. This makes the grounds a little less concave.

I've been doing this for a while with what I think are good-tasting results. But based on your comment I'm going to experiment with some straight flat distribution again and compare.

boar_d_laze Said:

Probably as much or more variance stems from other factors, like tightness of the grind, age of the coffee, humidity, etc.

Please present evidence to support your claim that age of coffee and humidity change the density of espresso-ground coffee as much or more than the difference between a low-grown Brazil and a high-grown Kenya (both are obviously available nowadays roasted for espresso).

boar_d_laze Said:

Also, in my experience, dosing by leveling the untamped coffee to the top of the basket usually means too high a dose.

Scratching my head here...isn't that what I said and you wouldn't go along?

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Nov 26, 2013, 7:16am

boar_d_laze Said:

Yep, every day and every shot, works well and I have no reason to change. YMMV!
Actually the grooming is into a concave shape, the tamp is with a flat tamper, this gives me a little more compression around the edge of the basket and I have Zero side channeling while at the same time I have a nice even flow through the basket. Again, YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Triple ristretto...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.362788915634)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+