Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Some Noob question about Rancilio Machine
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Some Noob...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Skylar

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Drip: chemex
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Wed Nov 20, 2013, 9:37pm
Subject: Re: Some Noob question about Rancilio Machine

When I bought my first espresso machine, the now discontinued Gaggia Espresso (then their cheapest model) they sent me a package of pre-ground coffee. I was unable to get anything with crema, or even a decent tasting drink from it. I received my first (not very good grinder) and some fresh beans and the first drink made had beautiful thick crema. I never used pre-ground again.

Sky
 View Profile Link to this post
d33pbluez

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 1:45am
Subject: Some Noob question about Rancilio Machine

Hi There,

As understand that in order to get those gooey type of crema. The coffee bean brought had to be fresh at least not more then 10 days after it was roasted.Now the question is how do i kept the beans fresh after i brought them and they can continue to make those consistent lovely texture of crema ?...by rubber gasket air seal container, will do ? and how do i know if the beans are fresh ?
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 3:23am

d33pbluez Said:

Now the question is how do i kept the beans fresh after i brought them and they can continue to make those consistent lovely texture of crema?

Posted November 21, 2013 link

Consume those beans fast, because already 15 days after roasting they'll get stale quickly. If you want to store larger amounts, you'll have to deep-freeze them in order to keep them fresh.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
d33pbluez

Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 4:23pm

NobbyR Said:

Consume those beans fast, because already 15 days after roasting they'll get stale quickly. If you want to store larger amounts, you'll have to deep-freeze them in order to keep them fresh.

Posted November 21, 2013 link

Hi NobbyR, Can you help to elaborate by meaning deep freeze the beans ? Do you mean put them in the freezer ?
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 5:25pm

Yes, you can keep roasted coffee fresh in the freezer.  

Freezing slows but doesn't stop outgassing.  So, depending on how you store you might want to age the beans for a couple of days post roast to quiet them down before sealing and freezing.  If you're buying them more than four days post roast, don't worry about it.

For freezer storage, use something which seals well and doesn't impart taste -- as a way of preventing ice crystals if nothing else.  I've had good luck forcing the air out of ziplock bags before closing.  Vacuum sealing works in the freezer whether or not the beans are fully outgassed.  But considering that ziplock bags work just as well, they're something of a waste of effort.  Plastic tubs with snap on lids work, but the beans either need to be almost completely outgassed or the container will need to be burped.  A lot of guys like glass jars, but they're expensive, breakable and don't really work better than plastic.  

You can slow down aging and staling considerably by storing your beans in a "TightVac CoffeeVac."  It takes almost ten days to age, if stored immediately post roast; and a month to stale.  That's plenty of time for most people to go through a 1# bag of beans.  Keep a few days worth of beans in your hopper, so you don't have to open the CoffeeVac too often.  

But Wait!  There's More!!!

CoffeeVacs may be held in the freezer.  There, aging is so slow, it might as well be nonexistent.  As a coffee storage method, it has to be considered something of an ultimate, with a hold time of forever -- or at least a year.  Whichever comes first.  Some restrictions may apply.

Some say CoffeeVacs are just another gimmick.  If you want celebrity endorsements, Doug at Orphan Espresso is nuts for them, and so is Mike Perry at Klatch.  Although no expert, I'm obviously convinced.  I can't say they're better than expensive stainless canisters with o-ring seals and one way valves, but can say just as good, and -- although not cheap -- a helluva lot cheaper.  

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
d33pbluez

Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 8:49pm

Thanks boar_d_laze for the long detail explain on the storage...Finally i decided to get the rocky grinder with dozer that match with the machine...

Now how do i know if the bean are fresh from the seller ? By smell  or bean colour ? I notice my place they would see those beans in bundle sack on the open air without any dates given....Im afraid mind get con by the seller for push for stocks clearance....
d33pbluez

Posted Sun Nov 24, 2013, 5:26am

Hi Guys,

I had been doing to espresso lately but i found out that my shot came out from machine too watery and no gooey type. May i know what i had done wrong ?
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun Nov 24, 2013, 5:46am

d33pbluez Said:

I had been doing to espresso lately but i found out that my shot came out from machine too watery and no gooey type. May i know what i had done wrong ?

Posted November 24, 2013 link

Could be a great many things.  The five most likely causes are poor distribution (how you make the puck in the basket), stale beans, too coarse a grind, too small a dose, or some combination of the previous four.  

There's a considerable learning curve to making good espresso.  In addition to using good, fresh beans and water, you need to teach yourself to get the right grind; put the right amount of grinds in the basket; distribute the grinds (perhaps even stirring them); level them; and tamp them to a reasonable firmness, either immediately before or after temping the machine.    

It's important to note that learning to adjust temp, grind and dose, is almost entirely palate driven, and shouldn't have much to do with your equipment, providing that your equipment -- particularly the grinder -- is "good enough."  Because there are so many variables, there's seldom a magic, one-size-fits-all recipe.  You'll have to learn to interpret what you see, smell and (most of all) taste, and use the information to "dial in" the right parameters.  

A class, or even time spent in person with someone who knows the ropes, can make things easier and faster; but there's no getting around that the process takes effort, takes practice, and takes awhile.  

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
d33pbluez

Posted Sun Nov 24, 2013, 7:11am

Hmm...what i see from my Espresso i get very very thin layer of crema produce from machine. Im using African roast while medium roast and after it was brew and smell abit bitter and the taste too.... can the roast type or bean origin affect the coffee ? i try to do afew thing

1.) Using MDF grind to level 6, distribute in normal portafilter basket and Tamp....after steam, release the remain water thought steam value and machine cool down then one the light are off .... i brew the coffee - Fail to produce goey type of coffee

2.) Using MDF grind to level 2, distribute in normal portafilter basket and Tamp....after steam, release the remain water thought steam value and machine cool down then one the light are off .... i brew the coffee - Fail to produce goey type of coffee

3.) Using MDF grind to level 2, distribute in double layer portafilter basket and Tamp....after steam, release the remain water thought steam value and machine cool down then one the light are off .... i brew the coffee - Fail to produce goey type of coffee

4.) Using MDF grind to level 7, distribute in  double layer portafilter and Tamp....after steam, release the remain water thought steam value and machine cool down then one the light are off .... i brew the coffee - Fail to produce goey type of coffee
d33pbluez

Posted Mon Nov 25, 2013, 4:28pm

Hi There,

Need to ask... After i brew the coffee from the machine and remove the portafilter i notice there is a little bit of water on top of ground. is it normal or should be it stay completely dry ?
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Some Noob...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.29753613472)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+