Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Don't like the coffee out of my Rancilio
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Don't like the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Jannet

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Fri Nov 15, 2013, 11:10am
Subject: Don't like the coffee out of my Rancilio

have a Rancilio, one week in to using it and I'm not happy.  My coffee is looking good coming out - right length of time, good crema but it is too strong for me and my latte. If I add more milk I loose the flavour. Rocky grinder, fresh coffee - roasted less than a week ago.  A week without a coffee I enjoy is TOO MUCH!!  I think I must not be a true espresso lover.  Really enjoyed the coffee coming out of my Breville, but after the machine failed and after having to return several faulty machines over the years, decided to go for it and get a good one.  Posting here in case someone can give some help.
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Nov 15, 2013, 11:49am
Subject: Re: Don't like the coffee out of my Rancilio

what beans are you using?  perhaps all you need is something different?

beyond that...

right time = what exactly to you?
too strong in what way?  too bitter, too sour?  maybe you need to modify your dose or temperature.

have you had good espresso elsewhere...like, maybe, in a good cafe?  if you have and you've liked it, then it's not the case that you don't like espresso.  if you've never had espresso or at least a milk based espresso drink from a good cafe, then I would want to know why on earth you would spend close to $1k to buy equipment to make it at home, without trying it first.

ok, I really want to help you, so if you can answer the questions above, it would be great (for me and for others)

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Nov 15, 2013, 1:50pm

In addition to whats said above, I'll add the Breville Cafe Roma is a pressurized portafilter machine... i.e doesn't make real espresso, more like a strong shot of drip with fake crema. Not sure what grinder you used with it or what beans or preground etc, but there's so many factors. Rocky/Silva combo is not a good value at all for todays money, Rocky is stepped and can cause frustration trying to dial in, the Silvia you have to temp surf (if you just turn it on and use, or wait 30 minutes to let it fully warm up and don't temp surf it, your not gonna be in the right temp range which can ruin the coffee).

That said, have you had real espresso, and I don't mean Charbucks, I mean from a real coffee shop? It could be you just don't like espresso. Answer emradguy's questions and we'll be able to help you more.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Nov 15, 2013, 2:51pm

Jannet Said:

have a Rancilio, one week in to using it and I'm not happy.

Posted November 15, 2013 link

Sorry about that, we aim to help.

Just a quick question, which Rancilio are you talking about?
http://www.rancilio.it/Rancilio
There are a few to select from.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Jannet

Posted Fri Nov 15, 2013, 4:10pm

thanks for feedback - just talked to the folks I bought my Sylvia from (ZCafe.ca) and they made the same first suggestion - try different beans.  I liked the coffee from my beans in my old machine and didn't expect it t be so different with new machine.  I will start with new beans.  And yes I have enjoyed lattes at a variety of cafes and now that I think about it, my lack of enjoyment at some places is likely entirely because of the bean.  I guess I really am a newbie. And as I explained - I jumped up to a more expensive machine because it seems that's the leap after a $200.00 machine - not much in between.  I live in a small community on an island off the west coast of British Columbia.
Jannet

Posted Fri Nov 15, 2013, 4:13pm

Rancilio Silvia V3
CMIN

Posted Fri Nov 15, 2013, 4:31pm

Look up temp surfing the Silva, and give it at least a 30min warm up time (machines need at least that and bigger machines need even more). As far as teh Rocky, since it's stepped, it's going to be hard to dial in, not a good espresso grinder, you could do the tape and stepless mod though to make it easier to use, look it up and see if you want to do that. You could try other beans, but see if that helps 1st.
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sat Nov 16, 2013, 1:08am

If you are finding that the coffee tastes too aggressive, you have a few options:

First, try a lighter roasted bean. Also, move away from traditional espresso blends and move towards using single origin beans.
A good place to start would be Ethiopian or Guatemalan single origin beans.

Second, experiment with different extraction times and volumes. Also experiment with dosages to find out what you like. Try heavy and light dosages.

Good luck!

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Jannet

Posted Sat Nov 16, 2013, 12:34pm

Thanks for your suggestions - most helpful so far.  I used a different blend (latte specific) from a local roaster this morning and it was much better.  Still working on grind and tamp - when you say heavy and light dosages, are you referring to tamping? Thought that over-extraction would result in bitter brew.  Have a chart I pulled out of an article on this site some time ago (can't find it again) showing colour of extraction on a graph - grind over time - which has been helpful.  I understand that one can get really fine tuned on grind but I would like to work with my machine as it is and adjust with tamping.  Does that make sense?  I'm not comfortable with the idea of modifying grinder (another posters suggestion). All in all much happier and confident - the local roaster was very very helpful too.  Again - thanks
CMIN

Posted Sat Nov 16, 2013, 1:19pm

How long are you waiting to let the machine warm up, and are you temp surfing? If you don't temp surf the Silvia the coffee will be fairly poor as it won't be in the right temp range. Heavy and light dose -> like 18g vs 14g etc, tamping is kinda the least important aspect and easier to just be consistent like around 30lbs etc (really the point where you just tamp and don't feel the coffee compress anymore, becomes second nature), if you try to do a lighter tamp like 10-15lbs you can but your gonna have to have a scale and keep practicing as a light tamp is hard to be consistent with if you adjust the grind for a light tamp.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Don't like the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.265552043915)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+