Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Horrible coffee out of cheap espresso machine (lol)!!! Help!
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Horrible coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Oct 18, 2013, 6:12am
Subject: Re: Horrible coffee out of cheap espresso machine (lol)!!! Help!

No, that is not able to grind for espresso, it is a fake burr grinder, pretty much the same thing you have with the blade chopper, they only make the chopper part to look like a burr.
Under US $100 all you will find are hand powered grinders that are able to properly grind for espresso. Even then, you pretty much need to get to $350 US before you can buy a grinder with a motor on it that is able to grind for espresso. Sorry, Espresso is an expensive game and esp with starter machines, the grinder is MUCH more important than the machine.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Fri Oct 18, 2013, 7:36am

Your link went to the Amazon (Germany) home page, not to a particular grinder.

An espresso grinder not only has to grind small enough for the brew method it should grind within a fairly tight range of size distrubitions AND allow the barista to make very fine adjustments within in the appropriate size range -- because those adjustments allow control over the taste of the coffee.  So, a grinder good enough for espresso is not an easy (or inexpensive) thing.

I don't know everything about every entry-level grinder available in the US, much less in Germany.  However, the least expensive, electrically powered grinder I know of, at least adequate for espresso, is the Baratza Preciso.  I understand that there's a competitive LeLit, but don't even know the model number.

BDL
mithrandi

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 4:49am

boar_d_laze Said:

Your link went to the Amazon (Germany) home page, not to a particular grinder.

Posted October 18, 2013 link

I think that's just the forum software being confusing; the "Click here" text goes to the actual link, but the "(www.amazon.de)" in brackets goes to the front page.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 6:34am

The link is below.
Click Here (www.amazon.de)
As I said, it is not any better than what you have now. NO IT WILL NOT WORK FOR ESPRESSO!
You need a grinder that WAS DESIGNED FOR ONLY ESPRESSO, About the least expensive grinder I can say to start looking at is
Click Here (www.jlhufford.com)

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Wed Oct 30, 2013, 2:56pm

You're right.  I did click on the wrong link.  But it wasn't the forum software that was confusing, it was the way it was used.  

There are better and easier ways to use the link command than posting one link for the desired page and labeling it "Click Here," and a second for the host's home page.    

Better, in my opinion, would be to simply create a link to the desired page using a description of the page for the link's text.   For instance, doesn't setting up a link like this one, Mazzer Robur E, seem more straightforward?  

It's simply a matter of being a little less literal with the commands.  Just as it isn't necessary to write the word italics when you want to stress, or striked when you want to infer imply a sense of humor, neither is it necessary to write "Click Here."

BDL
friendlyfoe

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Nov 1, 2013, 6:26am

but that is what the forum does if you just paste a link straight into the text.
Not everyone is computer literate enough to know how to hyperlink

OP - to get a proper espresso grinder the minimum starting range is around 300 usd, and there isn't much worth buying under 500. I bought a k3 touch which has stepless adjustment (no notches just smooth turn) and the smallest adjustments i'm capable of making with it make a significant difference to the espresso that comes out.

You can make very good espresso with a great grinder and a cheap machine. You cant make even acceptable espresso with a great machine and a bad grinder. Get the idea?
 View Profile Link to this post
Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Newco-OCS 12
Roaster: HG/BM
Posted Fri Nov 1, 2013, 12:02pm

The cheapest grinder capable of espresso is really the Baratza Preciso ($240 USD if you don't mind refurbished, they are in no way subpar due to Baratza's customer service).  Navigate to Baratza's online store and you should find them but they often are sold out.  

Other than that you are really stuck with using a Hario Skerton hand grinder or something similar.  

Unfortunately, there is just no way to make good espresso without a good grinder :-(

Best of luck!
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Horrible coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.252844810486)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+