Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Diadema 2 Group Espresso Machine
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Diadema 2 Group...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Mavie

Expertise: Professional

Posted Tue Oct 15, 2013, 12:26am
Subject: Diadema 2 Group Espresso Machine

Hi,
I have just purchased a Diadema 2 Group espresso machine. I still havent plugged it in. It came with a 3 phase connector plug at the end of its cable, should I change it to regular plug and use it with 16 amp fuse and cabling?

Also, it has a rotary vane pump in it. Can I use an external water tank to draw the water in this machine?

In its manual it says "this machines also have a manual filing function, as they can be filled with water rotating the knob of the internal tap." is this mean that I can fill it up, use it until the water level shows that it needs refill and repeat this all day?

Mavie: Diadema.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
keithd
keithd
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: KA w/Mazzer burrs, Hario...
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Sat Nov 2, 2013, 12:54am
Subject: Re: Diadema 2 Group Espresso Machine

I can only answer the electrical question:

No, you cannot run it with single-phase power. Even if you had 480V to your house (I forgot AUS's electrical standards, but it's either 110-120 or 220-240V), if it's single phase as is almost all residential power, then no, you cannot run that espresso machine at home. You will, at a very high cost, have to obtain permits from your local government and then hire a licensed, certified professional electrician to run 480V 3 phase power to your espresso machine. This will cost as much as the machine cost brand new. The reason is that 3 phase power is what comes into your neighborhood and then the transformers at the local switching station split the phases and transform the power to your residential voltage, so you'd have to basically bypass all that, just for your home in order to run commercial power just for your one espresso machine.

Now if somehow you can swap out the three phase motor/pumps, and 480V-designed heating elements for 120V ones installed into the machine for single phase, then yes.

480V three phase is 12 times (4x voltage, 3 phases) as powerful as single phase 120V. Run it through the same load, and you're looking at drawing 48 times the wattage - a 1,000W 120V appliance becomes a 48,000W appliance as doubling the voltage equals quadrupling the wattage, so doubling the voltage twice equals 16 times the wattage, times three for each phase.

You can't run the machine on 120V single phase as most likely the machine is rated at 4800W. This means that if you plugged it into your home wall outlet, you would only supply it 100W total, and it would not run well, if it runs at all.

(pro electricians, please correct me if I got it wrong, this is what I've learned as a lay person)

edit as I just had a thought - if this isn't for your house, but for your place of business as you called yourself "professional" in your profile - then you *CAN* use it if your business has 480V three phase, but no, you can NOT switch the plug out to run it on non-commercial power. If it's at your place of business, then it's far cheaper than rewiring your home to run power to the machine, a few hundred $US at most.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Nov 4, 2013, 7:43am
Subject: Re: Diadema 2 Group Espresso Machine

I have been fooling with electrical power in a commercial environment for a long time and have never heard anything like that math. I generate my own 3 phase power to run my commercial metal working machinery and I do not draw 12 times the current on the single phase (2 phase really) power I am using to generate the 3 phase power from. I do draw slightly more than the name plate rating but that is due mainly to the losses involved with the conversion. There is no free lunch and if the motors really did draw that much more power, it would show up in the single phase lines I am drawing from.

Welding equipment designed for 3 phase power can be run on single phase but at a derating of the equipment. It is a resistive load though and motor are not involved.

Again, I have never heard of that math, but I suppose I could be wrong though ?????

In short, no you can not just change the plug. If the machine is designed for 3 phase power then it should have what it is designed for. It is possible that someone put that plug on a single phase machine because that is what they had in the wall of wherever it was installed last. Check the date plate for the voltage and phase requirements.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Diadema 2 Group...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.214154958725)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+