Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
NS Oscar Question re: retaining valve
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > NS Oscar...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Lyndon_s

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Roaster: Nesco
Posted Tue Oct 8, 2013, 8:50am
Subject: NS Oscar Question re: retaining valve

I have a used Oscar that I believe is having issues. Having worked to dial in my grinder (Baratza Preciso), I find that there is 10-15 secs between pushing the pump button, and the emergence of coffee. I have tried settings on the grinder from the finest (which chokes the Oscar) to more course settings where espresso rushes out. On the current setting, the pump 'tone' changes from a louder sound to what I imagine is the beginning of extraction at around that 10-15sec mark. The flow (even with fresh beans, 4-6days past the roasting date) is not smooth, but broken. I have tried various tamping pressures, which makes a difference to where within the 10-15secs the coffee starts pouring, but that initial wait still seems long. The flavor of the espresso is lacking the body and sweetness of the same beans on my Gaggia Classic.

Also, after three espresso's (with flushing in between each), my drip tray is almost full.

I contacted NS support, and the response came back: the retaining valve is leaking into the drip tray. I read on other forum about leaking retaining valves, but when I opened the top of my machine, I didn't see any indication of a leak, at least a leak into the body of the machine. So, what does it mean that the valve is leaking into the drip tray? Is this a pressure thing?

EDIT: After pulling a shot, I measured the water in the drip tray. It collected almost an entire cup (250ml) during one shot. With the top off, I watched water flow from part #3 (in the attached diagram) via the tube into the tray. Water began flowing very soon after I pushed the button to start the pump. It continued until I pushed the pump button again at the end of the shot.

Any help would be appreciated.

Lyndon_s: Oscar_Professional_WW_2.gif
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Tue Oct 8, 2013, 2:50pm
Subject: Re: NS Oscar Question re: retaining valve

The valve in your diagram is leaking (3-way). It could be dirty with coffee residue and sticking. First thing is to try and clean it with a detergent flush using something like Cafiza. That may get it working, or it may need rebuild/replace.
plindy
plindy
Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: SJ Pharos Lido HG-One
Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 2:44am

tip  
half way down the page
Too much water in the water drain plastic tank

careful there is little room in which to move wrenches
try not to strip the 4 threads in the group , or the 8 on the valve
support the outside  , turn the inside

could also be debris stuck between valve seat and spring loaded plunger

pics show new style neplex , yours  may look different  but react the same
Lyndon_s

Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 5:07am

Thanks.
I removed the expansion valve and cleaned it with urnex descaling. It seems to be in decent condition, though upon reinstall, it continued to express water during backflush and pulling a shot. I read that it's role is to release pressure from the brew head at a particular bar level.

So, I'm wondering, before I simply replace it, how much water should I expect when backflushing or brewing? And, how do I know if it's releasing  at the right pressure?

With much thanks,
Lyndon
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 8:29am

Your problem description points to the 3-way valve (the valve that relieves pressure in the portafilter after you complete the shot, dumping it into the drip tray)

It appears you serviced the OPV; Over Pressure Valve. This valve limits brew circuit pressure.

The  3 way needs to be cleaned with a detergent like Cafiza, not a descaler; you are cleaning coffee residue.

Edit;  I just re-read your last post,  appears the OPV is also implicated.....
Sounds like you need to set/adjust your OPV.
Lyndon_s

Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 9:01am

Thanks again. I have gone ahead and ordered a new OPV and 3-way valve. I couldn't get the current 3-way completely open (the screw was on very tight, and I dared not risk any damage to it), and the machine is one of the older models, so I think i'll start fresh and see if this improves things.

Also, I will remember to clean them with Cafiza!

Thanks for the help.
plindy
plindy
Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: SJ Pharos Lido HG-One
Posted Thu Oct 10, 2013, 1:27am

valve  #3  open at 16 bar
Lyndon_s

Posted Thu Oct 10, 2013, 8:20am

plindy Said:

valve  #3  open at 16 bar

Posted October 10, 2013 link

Got it. I have a new valve coming from EspressoParts. If I understand correctly, the valve is pre-set to open at 16 bar though it can be 'adjusted' through tightening or loosing the screw (on the output side). I plan to leave it as-is.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > NS Oscar...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.263812065125)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+