Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
A variety of questions!  (CC1, Vario, BDB, eBay, SCG, etc.!)
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > A variety of...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
branmuffin17
branmuffin17
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 3:46pm
Subject: Re: A variety of questions!  (CC1, Vario, BDB, eBay, SCG, etc.!)

Scratch that on the Alexia...just read Chris' Coffee review and they said probably not the best for consecutive milk drinks, which is pretty much what I'd be doing.

Also, I'd probably say that an HX machine is a bit more than I think I want at this time.  Sounds like it takes a bit more work and expertise, and have to keep in mind that my wife will want to work the machine here and there too...a bit simpler is better.

I CAN'T STOP RESEARCHING!!!  I worry that I'm starting to overthink things...hahaha.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tglodjo
tglodjo

Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 4:26pm

Definitely keep an eye on the Chris Coffee "Open Box" and "Buyer's Remorse" pages. You can find some great deals there. Also keep in my, when you do decide to pull the trigger, call the retailer and talk to someone personally when you place your order. Many of the big retailers spoken about here will knock a hundred to two hundred off the price if machines you're looking at. Just be super nice when you call :)

As an aside, and while there are varying opinions, a heat exchanger is no more work than other machines. All machines require a flush, AND it's a step up from the CC1, with a wait time between brewing and steaming. They're consistent machines and once you get down basic barista skills (which you will need for every machine) there's little dufference or "skill" needed for a heat exchanger.

And regarding a previous question, last I heard, Breville will be releasing the updated DB sometime between January and March next year.
 View Profile Link to this post
branmuffin17
branmuffin17

Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 5:32pm

Noooo!  I want to start now!!!  January-March...soooo far away!  *sigh*

I don't think I want to wait that long...oh, the decisions...

Retailers will lower the price by talking to them?  What would it be that I would say?  I did try to ask for a discount on a phone call with SCG on the combo of a DBD and Vario (based on the same calculated discount on their CC1/Vario combo) but they said they couldn't do that.  The $999 price brand new for the DBD from Creative Cookware seems like the best overall price right now.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 8:17pm

Wanting steam power for making milk drinks is why I started higher up with an HX. I am not sorry that I started a bit higher up the espresso machine upgrade ladder. I believe it saved me money and frustration in the long run.

Really, a bigger machine is more stable therefore easier to make good shots on than a smaller entry level machine.  It is counter intuitive that the larger machines are easier but it is true.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Mon Sep 30, 2013, 7:12am

branmuffin17 Said:

Burner, do you think the sales on used BDBs might be because the Breville brand is such a layman/consumer standard (not meaning to insult anyone, as I currently fall in this category with essentially 0 experience), and the people buying these aren't often the types that are willing to put in the time and patience this type of machine needs?

Posted September 25, 2013 link

Yeah I think so.. I wouldn't let id scare you though.  It's like a car, if you don't give it annual tune ups it's gonna break.. Plus if your not gonna have time for some of the small things then sending it away for it's cleaning needs every once in a while would probably be easier for you.  Honestly ignore the maintenance regiments of these machines for now and focus on what machine's capabilities will best suite your needs and budget.   Out of the box I think the BDB would suite you better. And... 0 experience doesn't matter. You will learn just the same with any machine.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Sep 30, 2013, 8:13am

Look, you said you are new to all this. I am in Riverside, just over the hill from you. I would be happy to have you come over and play. Wanna make a time to come over, get your hands on some machines, grinders etc?

You will not be the first I have done this with and you will not be the last either.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
branmuffin17
branmuffin17

Posted Mon Sep 30, 2013, 2:58pm

(Hi Wayne,

Thank you very much for the generous offer!  If I don't purchase my machine shortly, I may take you up on that offer.  My time is somewhat limited...I try to be a good dad, which means weekdays don't work.  I work in Commerce, and my commute sort of sucks.  I get a good 3 hours of time with my baby (and wife!) when I get home, and I try to maximize that quality time.  Weekends are sporadically free, but not sure what my plans (or yours) look like coming up.

Quick question on beans...since you're local, where do you purchase?  Any suggestions?

FYI, I've got some further info that I'd like to share, based on everything that's been discussed.

Grinder/ChrisCoffee:  I just talked to Mary @ ChrisCoffee, and ended up ordering the Baratza Vario from their Buyer's Remorse.  She said the guy that bought it used it 2 times and decided he wasn't sure about the purchase.  She even went into detail about the other grinder in the remorse section (Macap M4, which she specifically didn't suggest for espresso grinding).  She couldn't give me a coupon (said they were usually for combo deals on non-discounted items), but she was very helpful on the phone!

Velton's Coffee/Bonsai Blend/Fresh Beans:  Also have had communications with Velton's Coffee (Velton Ross responded to me!) regarding the freshness of his Bonsai Blend.  I got a really cool, detailed response, of main point is this section:

We roast all of our website orders on Monday and they go out via USPS priority mail Tuesday morning.  Even if one is on the East Coast, they generally receive their coffee no later than Friday (sooner if closer by, like California) – so no more than 4 days off roast.  We don’t have free shipping unless one orders at least 10 lbs so it tends to cost a bit more.  If there’s another downside, if you order later than noon on Monday there’s a good chance it won’t be roasted/processed until the following Monday – though I always try to get the “slightly late” orders out in the Tuesday morning shipment if it’s at all possible.

Cool!  When I get started, I'm going to do a direct purchase and see how it goes!

Espresso Machine:  I'm getting closer and closer to just deciding to go with the BDB.  Wife wants it, I've found and read a lot on the owner's thread here, and think it'll suit my needs just fine.  If HX and DB produce an equivalent product overall, that's all I care about there.  Don't need to save 1/2 a minute or whatever with quicker frothing from an HX.  Also, though I have some concerns about longevity of the machine, if things go the way I think, it'll last as long as I'll want it...if I get more and more into it, will probably be looking to upgrade by perhaps year 5?  =D

I'll be making sure that I get the updated version (BES900XL/B).  Decided that descaling through an authorized Breville tech (even if it's every 2 years rather than 4) wouldn't be too horrible to deal with, so waiting for the next model is probably (?) not necessary (though the matte black of "The 9" does look AWESOME).  I do have some further questions in to Breville (asking about portafilter compatability and other things) as well as Creative Coffee in Montreal (Click Here (www.creativecoffee.ca)), which are probably the main reasons I haven't hit the purchase button just yet.

I'm amazed at the response time and friendliness of the coffee community (here on the forums, ChrisCoffee, SCG, and even through companies such as Breville USA).  In 2 weeks of constant reading, I'm glad I've been able to find so much info and hone in my preferences (very first consideration was a Silvia/Rocky combo when I knew less than squat...still know less than squat, but more than before!).  Gonna go back to reading more in the BES900XL owner's thread!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Sep 30, 2013, 7:38pm

You should totally take him up on the offer to get some hands on a few machines and grinders before you buy.  I really, really, really, really,  really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, think you should go see Wayne.  

A little time before a purchase of over 1k is time well spent.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
branmuffin17
branmuffin17

Posted Mon Sep 30, 2013, 11:01pm

LOL.  I guess maybe it's a good idea for me to go see Wayne.  Wayne, are you available any weekend days, and if so, what times?  Over the next two weeks, only this coming Saturday is available for me.

This is really giving me conflicting feelings inside, because for me, I really, really, really (etc.) want to get the machine and start perfecting my technique!  I went crazy today, and in the end had a series of calls with Bed Bath & Beyond.  First confirmed that I could get the 20% off one item coupon and signed up.  Then called corporate and confirmed that even though it says Breville is excluded, in-store purchase would honor it (online purchase automatically blocks it in the software).  Then looked online for in-store availability and found only one local store (Laguna Niguel) listed it as in stock.  Then called LN to confirm availability, which of course they didn't have it.  Called corporate back up and asked if I could purchase over the phone, which I couldn't.  Called the closest store to me during the day at work (Downey) and asked if I could order in store with them honoring the coupon, and they said yes, and that it would be delivered to my house.  So I was planning to go over tomorrow at lunch to do so...whew.

And now that I think about it, I think you're being cruel, Coffeenoobie.  You want me to go over and see and experiment with a lot of Wayne's extremely nice machines.  Then I'll decide I need one of those, break the bank, lose my daughter's college fund, lose my wife, and end up on the street, just me and my machine.  Wait...hmmm...

As a side note, I realized that I needed to change my coffee expertise.  When I first posted my profile, I was like...hmmm...I love coffee!  That sounds about right!
tglodjo
tglodjo

Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 6:12am

No one's stopping you from getting a machine and getting started. If you can get the 20% off, I say go for it! BUT I WOULD STILL TAKE WAYNE'S OFFER TO VISIT! Even if you get your equipment beforehand, getting some time with an experienced home barista to learn his skill and technique - priceless. You need to make the visit, if possible, either way. And YOU WILL COME HOME WITH MACHINE AND GRINDER ENVY. Just go in with that perspective :)
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 3 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > A variety of...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.294459104538)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+